Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

F-22 making pilots sick

The exhaust bleed into the OBOGS is still an Issue.

Old news - Might be a problem with the OBOGS system - but a recent investigation during grounding the fleet was unable to pin the actual fault down...apparently.

It is interesting to me that one of these guys in the interview has been flying the Raptor for 6 yrs – yet the problems with the jet along pilot incapacitation lines are a fairly recent phenom.

On the other hand the OBOGS contamination may have been an issue all long that was not reported on until the crash at Elmendorf.

$50 its a technical issue.

Wire Chaffing leads to failure of XXXX Daughterboard on the left wing, which leads to failure in bleed vent hydraulics, which leads to master caution on the oxygen, which leads to OBOGS Failure Light, which leads to Carbon Monoxide in the Mask tube, which leads to hypoxia like symptoms, which leads to pilot becoming disoriented which leads to another investigation. (that was a sarcastic chain if you thought I was trying to be serious.)

I remember reading the report from the F-22 crash in Alaska, they blamed the pilot on every turn, but never even remotely answered why Oxygen system lights and warnings started going off at a random time of the flight, which led up to the maneuvering and crash. They blamed the pilot for not keeping focus about his position and orientation in the air etc etc. but I seriously don’t think they know what the pilot was breathing during that time. The Bleed Air warnings and crap don’t go off randomly for no reason, something failed and exhaust was vented into the OBOGS or cockpit, and the System detected it. The only thing they can blame the pilot for is not pulling the emergency oxygen ring and the ejection handle. Once he breathed the contaminated oxygen enough he was disoriented and prolly passed out at one point due to maneuvers he was doing.

I read that accident report too and was struck by the situation the "mishap pilot" found himself in.

At night, tactical manuevering at mach +, headed downhill and the OBOGS shuts off - leaving him with zero airflow. Somewhat disconcerting.

In order to activate his emergency bottle in the seatpan he has to reach around (bumping various things like the control stick in the process) and pull the handle. This leaves him headed downhill and mach+, at night, over mountainous terrain.

gosh - he didn't maintain his situational awareness WHEN HIS AIRFLOW WENT TO ZERO.

experiment for anyone who cares to try this - while running about one mile into a two mile run stuff a dirty sock into your mouth without breaking stride and reach behind into your backpack to pull a water bottle out and pour it over your head, with your eyes closed. Report results...........

• Like 1

I read that accident report too and was struck by the situation the "mishap pilot" found himself in.

At night, tactical manuevering at mach +, headed downhill and the OBOGS shuts off - leaving him with zero airflow. Somewhat disconcerting.

In order to activate his emergency bottle in the seatpan he has to reach around (bumping various things like the control stick in the process) and pull the handle. This leaves him headed downhill and mach+, at night, over mountainous terrain.

gosh - he didn't maintain his situational awareness WHEN HIS AIRFLOW WENT TO ZERO.

experiment for anyone who cares to try this - while running about one mile into a two mile run stuff a dirty sock into your mouth without breaking stride and reach behind into your backpack to pull a water bottle out and pour it over your head, with your eyes closed. Report results...........

have you tried moving around a F-22 pit wearing winter gear and night vision goggles/HMD.

Discovery channel or aviation channel or military channel had a 1 hours special on the the crash after the findings were released, they re-created the crash in a 3d render, and they re-enacted what the report said the pilot experienced, and the Mock pilot had a hard time reaching between his side panel and the seat to get to the emerg. O2 ring wearing the winter combat gloves.

Edited by SkateZilla
  • Like 1

have you tried moving around a F-22 pit wearing winter gear and night vision goggles/HMD

Moving around in the back of an E-2 with all that $#@!#%^ was bad enough (no night vision goggles/HMD) I think we are in violent agreement. I think the "human factors engineering" in that set up was a little more than a contributory factor.

• Like 1

Chatted with the F-22 driver who brough the jet into Dyess a couple of weekends ago. He showed me the O2 sensor he has to wear on his finger/arm in flight. Basically similiar to the one you get in the hospital that tracks the O2 levels in your blood. So, someone is watching this.

• Like 1

Chatted with the F-22 driver who brough the jet into Dyess a couple of weekends ago. He showed me the O2 sensor he has to wear on his finger/arm in flight. Basically similiar to the one you get in the hospital that tracks the O2 levels in your blood. So, someone is watching this.

Problem is that they are watching O2, and not CO.

Yeah, but if your 02 levels are dropping, then it's a clue as to what is in the blood.

I didn't buy it for a sec it was pilot error. Heaven forbid the AF admit fault. The F-22 has problems. A great jet, when it works right.

Problem is that they are watching O2, and not CO.

Yeah, but if your 02 levels are dropping, then it's a clue as to what is in the blood.

Right on the Jeff. SK if you aren't getting O2 from your O2 tank your sucking on your own CO2.

yeah, i made that statement before my morning Dr. Pepper, brain wasnt running 100% yet.

The USAF Facebook page deleted my comments when i mentioned how the F-22 issues are starting to resemble the General Dynamics Cover up of the F-16 problems and Ted Harduvel.

• Like 1