ST0RM

Any success at adding decals to fuel tanks?

Title says it all. Due to the goofy layout of the tanks, I'm curious if a decal would work.

Kevin??

Maybe not one decal (if it's a wraparound scheme you need).

Use multiple decals that overlap (ie some aligned to TOP/BOTTOM, LEFT/RIGHT)...I did that for the B-70 glareshield variants. Obviously, you have to adhere to decal amount limitations...

FC

Yes, just treat the tanks as you would any other part of the model, this is how I did it on my VF-74 F-4B;

[Decal010]

MeshName=droptank_wing_L

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=LEFT

FilenameFormat=f-4b\74/d/74tank

Position=0.80,-1.400

Rotation=0.0

Scale=2.75

DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal011]

MeshName=droptank_wing_R

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=RIGHT

FilenameFormat=f-4b\74/d/74tank

Position=0.80,-1.400

Rotation=0.0

Scale=2.75

DecalMaxLOD=2

Reverse=TRUE

same as I did on a couple of scooters .... the difficult part is not finding the node name; that's listed in the aircraft's data ini , but the location coord. I'll see if I can find the example...

edit:

from the A-4L:

[Decal028]

MeshName=droptank_c

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Left

FilenameFormat=A-4L/VC13/D/tankstripe

Position=0.16,-1.20

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal029]

MeshName=droptank_c

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Right

Position=0.16,-1.20

Reverse=TRUE

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal030]

MeshName=droptank_r

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Left

Position=0.30,-1.20

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal031]

MeshName=droptank_r

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Right

Position=0.30,-1.20

Reverse=TRUE

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal032]

MeshName=droptank_l

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Left

Position=0.30,-1.20

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=2

[Decal033]

MeshName=droptank_l

DecalLevel=0

DecalFacing=Right

Position=0.30,-1.20

Reverse=TRUE

Scale=3.0

DecalMaxLOD=2

Edited by Wrench

Thanks for the tips. I'll work on my stuff tonight and post the results.

-Jeff

I think it only works if the tank is part of the 3d model.

I think it only works if the tank is part of the 3d model.

u r correct

you could of course make specific tank paint jobs.

I've been adding graphics to the tanks in the A-6 Superpack, but I seem to be running up against a wall. I know there is a 2 decal per side limit (although I'm using the same decal on both sides), but is there a total decal limit for a model? This is important because every hardpoint on the A-6 is wet, so with 5 tanks at two decals per side we're looking at 20 decals on the tanks alone.

I've been adding graphics to the tanks in the A-6 Superpack, but I seem to be running up against a wall. I know there is a 2 decal per side limit (although I'm using the same decal on both sides), but is there a total decal limit for a model? This is important because every hardpoint on the A-6 is wet, so with 5 tanks at two decals per side we're looking at 20 decals on the tanks alone.

As I have experienced you can have total of 4 pieces of decals for each mesh, regardless of side. If the tank is from several meshparts than that many times 4pcs.

Thanks, Logan. I appreciate the correction.

However, I should clarify. The decals show up just fine on the tanks; the decals on the fuselage that are sequenced later in the DECALS.INI are the ones that don't show (though they show when the tank decals are limited, so that part isn't operator error). This is what leads me to believe that there is a decal limit close to 50 for a model.

I was hoping somebody could confirm this, or at least provide a workaround.

Anyway, what I'm doing now is putting the SquadronName on each side of the tank (near the front), and creating SqLogo for the squadrons that put small graphics on their tanks (e.g. VA-196's spade). If I'm exceeding the maximum number of decals per model, I will have to create custom tank decals that have both the logo and SquadronName in the same decal. Before I do this, I want to make sure I won't be wasting my time.

why not paint them directly on the tank, since they reside in each respective skin folder? the skin map is readily available (as should be a template, probably in the template pak I uploaded -- if not, I'll get it to you)

and that other template you wanted is ready, if it's the EA6B #6 map, right?

Edited by Wrench

why not paint them directly on the tank, since they reside in each respective skin folder? the skin map is readily available (as should be a template, probably in the template pak I uploaded -- if not, I'll get it to you)

I was trying to do a "one size fits all" skin to apply to the default squadrons, whereas putting the logos directly on the tank necessitates tying the skin itself to the squadron.

Having thought about it, the large tank decal is the way to go. I was hoping to put it off because it's a lot more work (placement, sizing, making the opposite side because you can't flip the SquadronName), but it will also allow me to do color tips, fins, and larger graphics (like the VA-52 lance).

I couldn't find your A-4 VC-13 skin for download; what dimensions did you use for that tank decal in order to keep the detail on a relatively large graphic?

and that other template you wanted is ready, if it's the EA6B #6 map, right?

Oh, please! :clapping:

Edited by HomeFries

If for some reason u have trouble adding a decal to a tank,you can easily make copy of tank and make it a\c specific and load it in loadout screen.

HF, it's in my post above, where I show the section of the decals ini

A-4L:

http://combatace.com/files/file/12236-a-4l-skyhawk-by-crab-02-column5/

Got it, thanks.

I was looking in skins and not new aircraft; explains why I missed it.

I went ahead and converted the small logos and squadron name into single decals for the fuel tanks last night. The increased flexibility also allows for things like color tips and large decals (like the VA-52 lance) and reduces the number of decals used. However, I still run into the same problem.

In order to make the decals work, I need discrete left and right decals (for squadrons that put their name on the tank). With 5 tanks and 2 decals each, it's a total of 10 decals (reduced from 20 before, though the 20 were the same 2 decals repeated on all 5 tanks). However, in orderto make fuselage decals and the nosegear decals display, I need to remove two decals from the fuel tanks. (I have them sorted later in the DECALS.INI file so that they can be removed without reordering everything).

img00279.jpg

You can see in the above screenshot the VA-196 spade located behind the canopy, as well as the modex and anti-smash light on the nosegear. However, I had to remove the interior decals on two of the tanks in order to have them display (which can be problematic when doing colored tips).

If I have all of the tank decals represented, here's what I get:

img00278.jpg

I have even tried reversing two of the decals rather than using a discrete L/R side, and I still get the same results.

Any ideas of the wall I'm running into? I'm at the point to where if I can't figure this out, I'm leaving the outer two tanks blank.