Sign in to follow this  
Piecemeal

What Am I Missing Here?

Anybody know how I can make the third party wire fence object more "see through"?

post-29988-0-56140400-1336598299.jpg

Or maybe I'm using the wrong model perhaps?

From the terrain_types.ini :

[TargetType***]

Name=Fence

FullName=Fencing

ModelName=Fence.lod

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=2000

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=100

ArmorValue=0.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=10.0

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=15000.0

DestroyedEffect=SmallRocketGroundExplosion

DestroyedModel=

SecondaryChance=10

SecondaryEffect=SmallExplosionEffect

And here are the objects in question:

Fence_Objects.rar

Any help would be appreciated :salute:

Use a tga for the skin like a decal.

FC

Use a tga for the skin like a decal.

FC

Sorry bud; I'm not sure what you mean. How exactly could I go about it?

that's NOT the wire fence! that's more like a Hesco wall

you talking the barbed wire fencing?

I have the fence which looks like this:

post-255-0-44559100-1336602911.jpg

and some time ago I did barbed wire (used in Iraq mod I believe)

Monty CZ

you talking the barbed wire fencing?

and some time ago I did barbed wire (used in Iraq mod I believe)

Monty CZ

Yeah guys. That's the idea. I really don't have a clue what do in order to make it look like see through wire fencing. Problem is, as FC pointed out; I need to use the TGA like a decal, but I haven't a clue how to do that. Do I have to edit the INI or what?

Monty; is that the same fence model in your pic or something newer?

Yeah guys. That's the idea. I really don't have a clue what do in order to make it look like see through wire fencing. Problem is, as FC pointed out; I need to use the TGA like a decal, but I haven't a clue how to do that. Do I have to edit the INI or what?

Monty; is that the same fence model in your pic or something newer?

Do you have access to the original model? In order to make a see-through fence, when you create the model in Max you need to put the tga as a texture into the transparency slot of the material editor. In other words, I don't think it's something you can alter through .ini editing alone. One possible option is to find a fence object close to the same size that already has working transparency, copying it, and then editing the .tga texture to what you need while keeping its file name the same.

Well what I'd like is to have a perimeter fence to place around airbases, something to make them look that little bit more realistic. Like in the pic you posted earlier, Monty:

post-255-0-44559100-1336602911.jpg

I'm absolutely USELESS at creating/editing models. Monty; If you've got that fence model in your earlier pic above, I'd be grateful if you could pass it on.

I am using it (the first one) just like you wrote, on my new airbases (check Munich campaign thread for pictures) so I can send it to you too this evening

Monty CZ

I am using it (the first one) just like you wrote, on my new airbases (check Munich campaign thread for pictures) so I can send it to you too this evening

Monty CZ

Thanks bud. Much appreciated :good:

chain link fencing surrounding the entire airport perimeter??? You're a glutton for punishment, Enda!!! :lol:

assuming 100m section lenghts, and depending on how far out from 0/0 .... (even my supply base/army base used over 200 seperate entries -and those were only 375m from 0/0 ....) you're talking over 1000 entries. I think the max listings are 999 for target areas.

be a good experiment!

better still, would be to have a fence built into the TOD for the airfield permiter tiles; assuming an airfiled2farm 25/50/75 type of thing. For desert/desert airfield tiles ... I shudder to think!

but that chain link fence can be used in MANY places!!

as to the barbed wire by Monty, you can find in a lots of my terrains, DS,ASW,IR, IR2003, etc.

the lods are

barbwire01

barbwire02

barbwire03

and

barbedwire.tga

the fence your showing is (and you obviously know this already)

Fence.lod

FenceLong.tga

it's definatley more of a security wall; as used in IR2003 at the base near the Iraqi/Iranian border NE of Basra

hope that helps!

F*ck it, Kev; I'm bored at the moment.

Been getting up a lot earlier these days since I got the dog so after he's fed and walked I want to do something instead of twiddling my thumbs for a few hours. Morning TV here is "El Crapola".

I've been wanting to put up fencing round the airbases in Desert3 for a long time but kept putting it on the long finger til now, so while the will to do it is there I'd love to make the most of it.:cool:

Edit: Yeah, the average for my airbases (depending on the size of them) is roughly between 250 and 400 objects. What the hell, no harm giving it a try.

Edited by Piecemeal

hello here is the file

fence.rar

ane something to add into terrain types ini

[TargetType _ _ _ ]

Name=Fence

FullName=Fence

ModelName=fence.LOD

TargetType=MISC

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=0

UseGroundObject=FALSE

DamagePoint=0.00

ArmorValue=0.0

ArmorType=0

RepairRate=50.555

StartDetectChance=0

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=500.0

CollisionMesh=fence.LOD

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=

DestroyedModel=

SecondaryEffect=

SecondaryChance=15

texture is the default one in terrain folder

Monty CZ

Hmmm, strange.

This is the view from one side of the model:

post-29988-0-48383500-1336686157.jpg

And from the other side of the same model:

post-29988-0-15683700-1336686175.jpg

:lol: Go For It, Brother!! I'm QUITE interested to see how looks/turns out!

maybe one sided mesh???

Yes it is the one side mesh and due to the limitations of graphic engine and Z buffer I didnt

make the material 2 sided. It is barely visible from the air so it was good enought for me

If you need 2 sided and you are happy with what it does with other TGA objects behind I can reexport it.

Monty CZ

Monty - done a bit of mathematics earlier and worked out that the fence object you uploaded is ten metres in length. Given that some of my larger airfields already have on average 400 groundobjects, I don't think it'd be practically useful to use it. in Desert3. As Wrench correctly pointed out, something like a 100metre length of fence MIGHT do the trick, but that'd leave you with less flexibility; especially with some airfields in Desert3 like D9 and D10 where the've been finely placed on a level patch of ground. As you mentioned also, the fence is hardly visible from the air.

Now unless it's a different model I'm talking about, the fencing I mentioned in my first post should look like this, right?

post-29988-0-91671300-1336730176.jpg

That's a demo screenshot from Hurc's 'Nellis Range' mod. I've already tried using the fencing from his mod some time back but it ain't "see-through" either for some reason. Also, AFAIR that model's 100m long, right?

BTW, thanks for your help and assistance so far guys. :salute:

I have a fence that shows from both sides named Fence01.

The one from the range is from a tile named br8b and is part of the original range tiles as far as I can tell.

Hurc

Fence01.zip

br8b.zip

post-14131-0-50684900-1336834196.jpg

post-14131-0-79019800-1336834245.jpg

Edited by hurc

Nice work on the Fence01 Hurc!!

Here's my WIP so far on Desert3. Sloooow work but being 100 metres long it doesn't involve too much additions. It's just the working out of the positions in places with uneven sufaces that's the pain in the arse.....

post-29988-0-07897700-1336946723.jpg