Tonyo - legion

New aircraft at hendon

Hi guys,

Went to the Graham white building at the RAF museum hendon & saw that they have a new addition, so i thought that I would share it with all of you grin.gif

post-45788-0-76133400-1336766963.jpg

post-45788-0-98750900-1336767006.jpg

What a sweet looking craft - nice paint scheme too! Thanks for sharing Tonyo. :salute:

What a beautiful Dolphin!!! And, Oh My, what fire power.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Superb! My favourite Allied fighter.

According to Wiki most pilots didn't like the upward-firing Lewis guns and removed them. Some kept them for attacking bombers at night from below. The forerunner of 'Schräge Musik' of WWII?

Looks great! And very military. Not sure why they called it a Dolphin, but it looks very aggressive and certainly means business.

Over 2000 built, but only around 500 delivered due to a backlog in the supply of French engines according to Wiki. Feel an old argument coming back - a field modification tested had two incendiary firing machineguns mounted on the lower wing outside the propellor arc just like a WW2 fighter. So you could do it and live with the increased drag. Na na nana na Uncleal, wherever you are!

Nice pics too Tonyo-Legion.

The forerunner of 'Schräge Musik' of WWII?

Not the only one - AEG J.II Schlachtflieger had downward "schräge Musik":

This is a very neatly renewed Sopwith Dolphin! :good:

It looks factory fresh and ready for combat. The best British high altitude fighter of the war.

Thanks for sharing!

Crossbones

Dolphin was a bruiser Buggsy, in full production prior to the armistace, but already had 1500+ chassis built and awaiting French engines. The Dolphin isn't more famous because it run out of war to establish it's reputation, but it was already on its way to doing so. You can read about the kill ratios in Wiki, but those who flew it liked it and stayed alive.

Very nice indeed!