Sign in to follow this  
Grinseed

Out of the loop for awhile

Ok, well, I've done all I can at my end to get the game working, but I still only have a black screen, even when I load SFG.

Something in my system - no bugs or viruses says the virus checker, the card - working fine say the system, the harddrive - everything else works, a driver - everything up to date, I dont know it is but it just I cant access any thirdwire game at all.

Everything else including other games are fine, which is really weird. Anyway the upshot is not only that I cant fly FEG, I cant edit and test the last instalment of Ojcar's Armchair Aces either (when it comes out) until I get this sorted.

But in a way its a timely inconvenience. After a prolonged delay I am now only two weeks away from moving house and I still havent got much packed yet (or thrown away), so now I dont have FE as a distraction anymore...and I've been eyeing a new rig recently which I am now sorely tempted to buy. I'd have to learn the ways of FE2, but that will probably be a lot easier than trying to solve my current problem.

Cheers Grinseed

...and I've been eyeing a new rig recently which I am now sorely tempted to buy.Cheers Grinseed

If running FE2 and TW games is your only problem, that seems drastic. Because the prob is not hardware nor a virus if other non-TW games are okay. And your FE2 install is likely okay if the problem now extends to all your TW games all at the same time. Probably something to do with corrupting some basic stuff like DirectX, and maybe beause you installed an older game that overwrote some basic software like DirectX or corrupted it.

Assuming you run some version of Windows, XP or similiar? If so, this is what I'd suggest:

First, check integrity of DirectX. I think you need DirectX 9.0c at least. So check you have that at minimum, and it is not corrupted. See here for very simple video tutorial on checking your version or if DirectX install has problems. http://voices.yahoo....ors-409385.html.

If there are problems, you may need to update your Windows Service Pack (Windows Update tab on bottom of screen usually). This is a good idea anyway, essential to protect against viruses. Do that, restart computer, check integrity of DirectX files as before if problem fixed, then try game.

If not fixed, then try re-installing your DirectX version directly (think it would be 9.0c at least)... see here for steps how to do that ... http://pcsupport.abo.../directx9xp.htm. For example this is where to download DirectX 9.0c from Microsoft directly to reinstall ... http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=35.

If this DirectX isn't your problem, you may need to try reinstalling some other stuff too like MS Net Framework and Java. Also importantly clean up and uninstall graphic drivers, then reinstall fresh as graphic drivers are often corrupted over time. But one step at a time ...:ok:

Edited by extremeone

Thanks for your response extremeone, I do appreciate it.

I have already done all you have suggested except the MS Net Framework and Java reloads, which I havent ever had to do before. (btw the voices.yahoo link didnt connect me to anything).

I made mention of FE2 only in regard to a new computer with DX10. FE2 fails to run on my current computer too.

I suppose I will give it all another try later. Yesterday was a frustrating time as you can imagine. I took the dog for a walk. That was good. Today I have to make an inventory for the moving company.

I really want to get this resolved, FE really is the best WW1 flight sim imo; its my favourite hobby. I really want to finish that Armchair Aces series too.

The new computer is still an option. For the first time I can afford a top end machine with ramped up graphics and extra grunt.

Cheers Grinseed

Ah good you've done that Grinseed. Yes, can imagine, it is very frustrating isn't it?

Re tutorial, sorry, the link was truncated, its http://voices.yahoo....385.html?cat=15 . Only a couple of minutes, simple advice to ascertain your DirectX install integrity.

From your reply it appears you have, but just in case ... have you cleaned up your registry entries, and completely cleaned your graphics drivers - ie, uninstalled, cleaned remaining bits remaining, installed again? Graphics drivers often get corrupted after a while with bits and pieces remaining from older ones.

Must say it does sound odd you could never run FE2, as it runs under DX9 on my computer, just not as well as later versions of DX I guess but its fine, big improvement graphics wise - is it the same problem as with FEG?

Edited by extremeone

OK problem fixed.

On start up I was getting a message about a disc not being found: Exception Processing Message c0000013 Parameters 756bf7c 4 75b6bf7c 75b6bf7c.

This I learned later, usually indicates a usb device has been removed without following the safe removal procedure. However it did not appear at every start up, at least, I dont recall it do so. As it referred specifically to a disc I did not relate it to my FE problem, so I cancelled it, with the intention to fix it later.

When I did investigate it I was still stumped because I havent attached/removed a usb device in a long time.Then I learn my daughter attached her usb scanner/printer to my computer and removed it, in my absence.

The Solution:

"... run "regedit" then follow this

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows] then find the name ErrorMode and change its value data by doing right click on the errormode itself and change value date from 0 to 2..."

Issue fixed. FE and FE2 reloaded. Flying and dying over Flanders again.

To extremeone, I had typed the following before the info above came to light. I'll leave it here for you, afterall you have spent sometime in trying to help me fix it.

My current computer is a P4 2.80GHz 2GB ram.

The vid card is an ATI Radeon 9600/X1050 256Mb.

I'm afraid I havent been clear enough in my other posts. I have loaded and run FEG and FE2 (and SF1Gold, WoV and WoE) on it but I found FEG gave a better response framewise with Jan Tuma's seasonal terrain and with nearly all the graphic options set low. Its not perfect but I'm a RB3d refugee and the graphics look great anyway.

The ATI card is included in the legacy list of drivers at the ATI site. I have a permanent copy of it and the instructions for replacing or refeshing drivers which includes clearing out the registry of older references before reloading. I checked the ATI site and the driver still hasnt been updated.

The dxwebsetup confirmed that the loaded Directx 9.0c 4.09.0000.0904 was the correct and latest version available for my computer.

Lately I have loaded some old games from GOG but these are updated to run with XP and later OS.

Anyway, thanks for your input extremeone.

Happy Landings everyone else.

Cheers Grinseed

Edited by Grinseed

Flying and dying over Flanders again.

LOL. Good to hear. Did well. Amazing that a problem like that would impact your TW games. Cheers.