Hi all, other than using/referencing the Terrain Editor itself…

Is there any known way/ideas on how to determine what terrain tile filename is associated to what target area entry (that’s defined in the _targets.ini file)? Or basically would I have to create a reference look-up?

For example:

[TargetArea017]

Name=Bitburg

etc.

= GERMANYC1.bmp

Thanks for any creative ideas or suggestions...

Howdy Steve.

What do you mean by association? only the TFD from TE determines which tiles are used where. Or are you talking about the autotexturing function in TE?

Hi Umut, hope you're doing well, bud! That's the answer I was expecting, that only the .tfd output has that info but of course it's not "readable" when in that locked format. I'm not sure if there's any other way around this other than to manually create a look-up reference table/file with the needed information. Maybe others have ideas, but unfortunately I'm not expecting a positive outcome on this...so once again I will have to "code my way" through a solution to achieve my desired outcome.

Good to see you back my friend.

Have you seen Gerwin's TFDTool?

Use the TFD Steve, I've resused a couple of tiles[with their tods] from another terrain that only have a few trees on them, once I'd found the suitable tiles I used the panel finder [from sim outhouse I think] to map just exactly where the trees were then I could use those tiles around airbases without ending up with trees on runways etc.

Yes, I've seen it and dropped Gerwin a PM for any ideas here. Umut, you should see what me and team have been up to with STT, will blow your freakin' mind and I know it's something you would appreciate. In collaboration with a true genius on my team and a lot of updated coding, we now have a working prototype where we can place objects precisely down on a 100 to 20m grid overlay, bringing object placement accuracy down to within 1 freakin' meter if you can believe that. Drop me an email bud, we're overdue for a catch up anyway!

depending on who built the terrain, if 3rd party, look for tiles with "AB" in their name. Both Germany and Vietnam has some stock "AB" tiles -- blanks for putting under airbases. The desert set, originally, does not,as the stock desert tiles have (usually!!!) no associated TOD.

one of the reasons I make my own, specials for just airfield-only uses

Hi all, other than using/referencing the Terrain Editor itself…

Is there any known way/ideas on how to determine what terrain tile filename is associated to what target area entry (that’s defined in the _targets.ini file)? Or basically would I have to create a reference look-up?

I don't have much to add to whgat was written already.

The only sure way to determine any tile placement is by reading both the terrain TFD file, and the terrain Data.ini. Then of course the tiles themselves .BMP/.TGA. The TFD is the tilemap, the Data.ini is the reference table.

When these files are in a CAT archive, they need to be extracted first.

The file formats are pretty easy to read, except for the latest CAT format, that one is terrible.