Having downloaded and installed Home Fries A6 Superpack, I can't get the Intruder's to show up in any campaign. With the sale today, I have all the campaigns and the DLC and still can't get the Intruders to show up in the menu options. What am I doing wrong? I followed your instructions to the letter and still nothing.

Have all of these merged as of tonight:

SF2E

SF2NA

SF2I

SF2V

DLC Campaign Customizer

Also, installed Jones Generic Mod folder in the main SF2 directory. Is it supposed to be installed in the X:\Users\Name\Saved Games\Thirdwire?

Hey good to see you here stryker. To answer your question, do you have a cockpit installed? His doesnt come with one. We are using RAZBAM's pit if you bought his A-6's, or extracted the cockpit files from the old WOV and installed them to the SF2 Intruder.

The Mod enabler should be installedto: Users|YourName\SavedGames\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2,Vietnam,Europe, whatever game folder you want to use the mod in. Run JSGME once, click tasks, click 'take a snapshot of game files" and close the enabler. It will have created a folder called "Mods" in the folder in SavedGames. Install the Mod to that folder, run JSGME again, and enable the mod.

Hey good to see you here stryker. To answer your question, do you have a cockpit installed? His doesnt come with one. We are using RAZBAM's pit if you bought his A-6's, or extracted the cockpit files from the old WOV and installed them to the SF2 Intruder.

Dave,

Apologies for being absent for so long...too much real world excitement going on, but it's calming down enough to enjoy all the work you and your team have amassed over the years I've been gone. I do not have a cockpit installed, so looks as though I'll be purchasing the RAZBAM Intruder for SF this coming payday. Oldest gradutates this month, so having to be frugal and just spent my allowance on the Memorial Day sale. Anyway, glad to be back here and looking forward to getting back into the SF series.

SupGen,

Thanks for the info as well. I will have to give them a go again tomorrow and see what pans out.

Have a great night all.

Matt

There are also third-party A-6s for DL on the SF1 section and on C5.

Some do have a pit, so no need for fiddling with the CAT-files.

Someone please tell me there's an "Installing Mods for Dummies" somewhere. I have updated the May patch, installed JGME into the "Username>Saved Games>Thirdwire>SF2NA/SF2E/SF2I/SF2V" folders. Ran JGME to establish a Mods folder in each saved game folder, then installed my first aircraft add on, Voodoo super pack, logged into SF2 nad searched for any F101 variant, to include using the Campaign Enabler that allows flying any plane, in any campaign and not a single F101 of any variation for any campaign 1956-1989.

What am I doing wrong? This is frustrating as all get up and I simply don't remember the SF series being overly difficult to mod. I understand why the A6 doesn't show up, but the Voodoo pack is complete.

So, apologies for looking like a total tool, but really wanting to get back into the SF2 series and at wits end.

Matt

Personally I think its much easier to mod a install without using the mod enabler. Just run the desired game exe once. And you have your mod folder ready at Username>Saved Games>Thirdwire>SF2NA/SF2E/SF2I/SF2V. Then you have the base ready for mods. download the desired mod and follow the readme. Most mods are set up as simple drag and drop folders. Dump the folders in the appropriate places and you have successfully modded a install.

Personally I think its much easier to mod a install without using the mod enabler. Just run the desired game exe once. And you have your mod folder ready at Username>Saved Games>Thirdwire>SF2NA/SF2E/SF2I/SF2V. Then you have the base ready for mods. download the desired mod and follow the readme. Most mods are set up as simple drag and drop folders. Dump the folders in the appropriate places and you have successfully modded a install.

That's what I've already tried, via the Username path and still nothing. The mods folder is created when you run the JGME program from within the folder. So, unless I am misunderstanding you, you've repeated what I posted above. :grin:

This is really frustrating.

I think you misunderstood.. Username>Saved Games>Thirdwire>SF2NA/SF2E/SF2I/SF2V is the mod folders

post-29981-0-27804300-1338753937.jpg

A screen shot of my mod folder for ODS

I think you misunderstood.. Username>Saved Games>Thirdwire>SF2NA/SF2E/SF2I/SF2V is the mod folders

So, for clarification, download the full mod into each of the individual installs, not the MOD folder created by JGME?

Also, there's not an effect folder anywhere in the base install, so once it's created, the game engine knows how to utilize that folder as well?

BTW, thanks for your patience and assistance. I like to think myself savvy in these installs, but I'm really banging my head against the wall so I do appreciate all comments and understanding.

post-29981-0-27804300-1338753937.jpg

A screen shot of my mod folder for ODS

You just installed into the general SF2 folder, not the specifics of each NA, I, E and V?

You just installed into the general SF2 folder, not the specifics of each NA, I, E and V?

Yep. Doesn't have to go into each one. Just the one your using as your mod folder. Mine is SF2E. I run all my mods and missions from SF2E.

I have a merged install of SF2V/E/I/NA.

Edited by Baz_GFA

No I made a copy of SF2E exe renamed it to ODS, ran it once and dropped all content from the ODS mod in it

NEVER, NEVER, EVER unzip a download directly into a mods folder -- it's surefire way to f*** things up!!!

even for those that are 'exe' types -- run the exe pointed to a temp folder.

from pretty much every readme I've written, this example is from the AC-119 update pak:

As always reccomended, unzip the "sf2_ac119_tweeks-pak.zip" to a temp folder or your desktop or somewhere that's easy to find.

The pack is already divided up into the proper folders...so it's a simple copy/paste job.

So, Copy/Paste the /Objects folder =DIRECTLY= into your SF2 game install of choice's /Objects folder. It's already divided into the /Aircraft, /Decals, /Guns, /Weapons, etc sub-folders.

Same for the /Sounds, /Effects folders. It's quite possible you may have them already, but this is to ensure you won't go stumbling around trying to find things when stuff don't work.

You'll asked to "Overwrite?" , just say yes. It'll change nothing; the old decals will be ignored as I've rewritten the decals inis for all 3 skins.

the onus is truely on the uploader (modder) to make sure install instructions are clearer than a bell, and that PROPER sub-folder useage is maintained.

mod enablers are a bigger PIA than they need to be, especially in the 'drag & drop' environment of SF2.

NEVER, NEVER, EVER unzip a download directly into a mods folder -- it's surefire way to f*** things up!!!

even for those that are 'exe' types -- run the exe pointed to a temp folder.

from pretty much every readme I've written, this example is from the AC-119 update pak:

the onus is truely on the uploader (modder) to make sure install instructions are clearer than a bell, and that PROPER sub-folder useage is maintained.

mod enablers are a bigger PIA than they need to be, especially in the 'drag & drop' environment of SF2.

Totally agrees Kev

OK, finally just dragged and dropped from a folder off desktop into the User file and all seems to work. It would seem the bad thing about doing it this way is it makes it a bit tough to remove the mods, should they not work so well. As the noob, I'll slowly get the hang of it and suspect there will be many removal and re-install of the game and files.

Was there ever a sticky though laying out how to do this or comparing one style versus the other? If not, perhaps something that could be cobbled together to additional new guys coming into the fold. Afterall, I know of no other game that has so much external content and such confusing installations.

Thanks for everyone's help.

BTW, I did download an SF1 A6 to use it's cockpit for the A6 Superpack. Is moving the cockpit files over similarly difficult?

The good thing doing it this way is that if you mess something up beyond repair. you can simply delete the entire "mod" folder run the exe once again and you have a fresh start. This way you never is going to mess with the core files of the game. like you should in the old series. It has never been easier...

So, one more question.......for now. I cannot find my squadronlist.ini file. I have looked through all 4 installs under their repsective pilot data folders and my squadronlist.ini is now missing. Does this mean I must reinstall to make another squadron list?

strykerpsg, the only thing you hadn't done, from what I see, was to run the JSGME again. When you do so, you'll see all the mods availble in the (JSGME) Mods folder, click on one, and click on the top arrow. Done. I hadn't used the JSGME for some time (used it all the time for Silent Hunter and some others), but it does have advantages even in SF2. No matter how bad you screw things up, you'll never have to delete the entire saved games mods folder. I dunno, I'm still weighing the pros and cons, but the pros seem to be winning, especialy for certain types of mods, like enviornmental mods that may affect more than one game folder. Because you've "taken a snapshot of game files" JSGME can return the game to the condition before you enabled a mod. Just me, but I think it would be worthwhile for everyone to screw around with this a little to see what works best for them. I don't know if I've gotten this across, but whether you choose to use it or not, once you get the hang of JSGME it really is easy.

One thing to keep in mind, is that, historically, JSGME hasn't really ever been used for this series (SF, WoX, SF2, etc...). 99.9% of mods here at Combatace are designed (including the readme's) to be drag and drop installs into what most refer to as the "Mod Folder" (the folder that hgbn showed earlier).

Not saying it can't be used or that it may not be easier (if you know what you're doing), but most people don't use it and it might be harder to get assistance if one has problems with it.

Just a thought.

One thing to keep in mind, is that, historically, JSGME hasn't really ever been used for this series (SF, WoX, SF2, etc...). 99.9% of mods here at Combatace are designed (including the readme's) to be drag and drop installs into what most refer to as the "Mod Folder" (the folder that hgbn showed earlier).

Not saying it can't be used or that it may not be easier (if you know what you're doing), but most people don't use it and it might be harder to get assistance if one has problems with it.

Just a thought.

Exactly my thoughts. Why complicate things more than you have too? work smarter not harder

Its in a persons best interest to know where the files go I would say - particularly regarding the point that most downloads include a bunch of files without a readme even - or include a readme from 4 years ago for series 1.

If you know where the files need to go then you wont stuff things up and you become far better at troubleshooting your own problems.

• Like 1