Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

TrackIR, you have GOT to see this!

Check out this video of this new device that allows you to pan the view by simply moving your head, among other things. This is WAY cool! Situational awareness in computer gaming just took a quantom leap!

$129, Now before I rush out and buy this new toy... Has anyone heard anything more about this? Is there any problems/bugs/irradiated brains oozing out peoples' ears?

Video is found here...

http://games.naturalpoint.com/sidebar/imag...ackIR_small.wmv

I have this toy.

It's cool but it eats up alot of resources and makes every game I play very very jumpy at best.

I cannot use with SF:P1 in its current state. CTD every single time I've tried

but it is cool and I will continue to expirement with it as I've not yet decided to toss it overboard. (As this is where all my hated software goes)

How fast is your computer. I have a P3 1ghz with Radeon 8500 64MBDDR.

Several members of my IL-2 squadron have one, and they swear by them once one get used to it... said they never use padlock functions anymore.

They keep creeping down in price... I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get one soon. Hmmmm I wonder.. is it possible to have a track-ir AND use 3D glasses at the same time?

I really want to get my hands on one of these for a hardware review here at Biohaz, and have contacted them to see if they will provide a demo unit. I'll keep you guys posted... :D

Hey guys, been keeping quite for awhile and checking in every once in awhile to keep up on the news. (PATCH!) I've been using trackIR for over a year now and I'll swear by it. I never have used padlock in IL-2 since I got it. In SF1 I have been using it both off and online. It seems that the CTD had nothing to do with the TrackIR on my system because I have tried it both ways before. I stopped going online with SF1 waiting for the fix. (and I do mean fix! junkie style). I can make a small movie of trackIr and SF1 if you want to see it but I still have to use padlock with it because it seems that the LOD of the planes is alot different then IL-2 i.e. very very small even at closer distances. Both in Il-2 and SF1 its alittle qwerky in that it just uses the mouse pan and not a direct control (plugin) like FS2002. This means that you will have to update and reset center of the mouse+trackIr while you use it. I have it setup as a joystick mapping so I don't even know that I'm doing this while playing.

Vex

Well as you can see in the patch update write-up, (wow, good timming on my side) there will be native support for the trackIR just like it is in FS2002 which helps alot! SF1 will be the first flight sim besides FS2002 that supports it directly. :)

Vex

I won't fly without it, now. It's gonna be awesome in LOMAC!

Also, doesn't hog any of my system resources--doesn't cause a slow down at all.

NOTE: It'll take some time to get used to--and also to tweak your settings to what you like--but once you do, it's absolutely irreplaceable.

I got my unit early this week and am really impressed. Even my wife thought it was cool. It did take some time to get it set up the way you want. I think I've got about 20 dots on my headset to maximize reflection. I have some glint tape from work, so I'll use that also, but my advice would be to purchase an additional sheet or two, as the bigger the reflectors, the better the unit will track your movements.

All in all though, it reminds me alot of my flight in the Eagle, my head didnt stay stationary there either. I love to be able to watch where I'm turning and fighting.

Storm

Great news! The fine folks at NaturalPoint are shipping a unit to me for review. I'll put it through it's paces and give you a full review when it gets here. :D

Im looking forward to the review Jeff. Im real interested in this device, it could really improve the realism and sit awareness. I am wondering though why it runs so slow for Fast Eagle. I doubt he is alone having problems with framerates, etc.

The setup doesnt really bother me, I can figure it out eventually. Were did you guys get yours? From the Manufacturer online or some store like CompUSA?

I've never seen it at like Fry's electronics (west coast) or CompUSA. I bought mine on line from the manufacturer. You might be able to find a better deal online at other stores but I think most are sticking to the same price.

Vex