Bravo2009

Prometheus

For all of you in Europe, I hate you right now! 1 week left until this Ridley Scott masterpiece comes out in America (eff yeah). I could not contain my enthusiasm any longer so I had to go on wikipedia where I read the spoiler heavy plot synopsis, after reading it all I have to say is that this film SCREAM Alien prequel, regardless of what Ridley is saying. My whole theory is that they are trying to distance itself from the damage that was caused to the franchise by Alien Resurrection, Alien v Predator, and AVP 2.

June 6 here in EnZed, but I'll probably catch it a week or so later on cheapie night. Gonna see this one on my own, no wife or kids, just me and the popcorn.

Good year for flicks this. I took the kids to see The Avengers and really enjoyed it, and not long till Dark Knight too. Then there's Bond and Mr. Renner as Bourne... looking forward to those too, might not catch 'em all at the cinema though.

Prometheus is on my short list of movies I'd pay full price to see. The only movies I really see nowadays are kids films, but I really do get a kick out of Pixar films.

Going to see it in 11 hours. Can't wait because I know it'll be epic! I'll let you know how it was after the show. :wink:

You lucky bstards! :good: Poles will have to wait till July 20th :( This kind of b-s**t makes people torrent movies....

Edited by SFP1Ace

Going this evening to see the movie!

Plays here today (friday) first time! :clapping:

My best regards, Kodiak.

I know Promethus will be far better than the last two previous Alien(s) flick. But their space suit helmet, that god damn ugly clear glass egg shaped thingy, you call that a future helmet...really ? That's all they could come up with ? " Let's pick the ugliest design, and... "

Edited by Atreides

Already arranged to go see it on three seperate nights with different people... been bouncing off the walls waiting on this one for about 5 years :yikes:

Craig

I know Promethus will be far better than the last two previous Alien(s) flick. But their space suit helmet, that god damn ugly clear glass egg shaped thingy, you call that a future helmet...really ? That's all they could come up with ? " Let's pick the ugliest design, and... "

I think it has to go that way since it´s on Alien´s universe (The Trilogy, the only ones worth watching, for the rest, i blame Dark Horse comics!)stuff can´t look more modern than what they showed us as "cutting edge" 30 yrs ago.

Prowler

I think Scott backed off calling it an Alien prequel because perhaps some felt it wasn't close enough to seem like an Alien flick. I also don't know that there's any of the actual Alien in it! Sure there's Space Jockey, the ship, the company, the androids, the universe etc, but if you don't have that egg/facehugger/chestburster/drone thing, is it still Alien?

They took the easy way and tried to have it stand alone.

JediMaster - if you go 1:35 on the second trailer released on Apple Trailers you do see the Alien drone, it is a mural on the wall. Also this movie is about "evolution," well look at the lower half of what we have been shown of the Engineer AKA Space Jockey, does it not look like the Xenomorph we have come to know and love?

Meh. Well, it was pretty. :sorry:

I think it has to go that way since it´s on Alien´s universe (The Trilogy, the only ones worth watching, for the rest, i blame Dark Horse comics!)stuff can´t look more modern than what they showed us as "cutting edge" 30 yrs ago.

Prowler

Yes, but somehow, I don't think people would enjoy seeing the latest Star Trek Film with the Original Series Look. That's the problem with prequels of stories set in the future.

Edited by shotdown

Yes, but somehow, I don't think people would enjoy seeing the latest Star Trek Film with the Original Series Look. That's the problem with prequels of stories set in the future.

Indeed..thats why the redid the whole universe (Star Trek i mean) using parallel dimensions and time travel...wont work in the Alien´s universe IMHO

Best regards

Prowler

Well aside from the monochromatic CRT computer screens, I vastly prefer the appearance of older scifi films.

Tell me the look of the original Star Wars trilogy wasn't vastly superior to the prequel trilogy.

BTW anyone else see posters for the next heresy to come along? They're redoing Total Recall with Colin Ferrell.

That's a misconception. This has nothing do with the 1990 film. This is the Dick short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" re-adapted. So no Mars (which wasn't in the short story) for one.

Like the 2005 War of the Worlds wasn't a remake of the 1950's one, it went back to the book and took its own spin.

There was talk of Arnie doing a sequel to Total Recall as far back as 2k5, but it was in development hell for a long time before it was scrapped.

Saw this yesterday at the cinema - not bad............Alien fans probably wont be disappointed.

Edited by MigBuster

That's a misconception. This has nothing do with the 1990 film. This is the Dick short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" re-adapted. So no Mars (which wasn't in the short story) for one.

Like the 2005 War of the Worlds wasn't a remake of the 1950's one, it went back to the book and took its own spin.

Should have named it something different then, because everyone pretty much agrees hollywood is out of ideas and 99% of people will simply think it's a remake.

Yes, calling it Total Recall was certainly a mistake in that regard. It's like if they did another adaptation of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and once again called it Blade Runner.

I'm highly undecided about this one, after the viewing I was like "s**tty one, undelivering" but the more I think about it the more I like it. Ok, David8 (thanks to Fassbender) is one of best characters in all Alien movies, Noomi ain't Ripley but good too.

Spoilers be here: But why that squid thing? makes no sense

edit: good article, points out so many things right Fates

Edited by Stary

Noomi ain't Ripley but good too.

By about 20 minutes in, her naivety was grating on me and I wanted her to join some of the other characters... in hell! Great film though!

Spoiler Alert

But for those that have seen this......read this: Top 10 Galactic Goofs

Alien Vagina Cobra?

Spot on - was thinking that when watching it - then trying to tell myself its a Hollywood fantasy film shutup!

Saw this last night a really enjoyed it, one thing though to those who have'nt watched it yet and think yeah boyeee, lets go watch Coporal Hicks kick some alien butt while yelling "Marines we are leaving !" Dont ! It's not that kind of flick, it's a movie set in the Alien universe and since there is no "official" story (I forget the proper word to describe history of fiction) to the alien universe as there is in Star Wars or Star Trek. The writers and directors really dont have to follow any strict guidelines, thats what I really liked about it.

It leaves it open to to interpretation to what said universe should be like sometimes you win audiences and critics alike and sometimes you lose some and win some, what matters is going with an open mind. Lets face it everyone is a critic and have to critique just like everyones got to fart now and then...

Edited by Atreides