JonathanRL

Swedish Air Force Show (Pictures)

This was the first time I have been able to attend the Swedish Air Force display at Malmen Air Base, outside Linköping. Of course, distance has always been an issue, but this time I swore to myself that I would be there to see it.

And so I was.

It was a very fun day, starting and ending in rain. To say the weather was strange is a big understatement but dress properly and that is not a bother.

Entering Malmslätt by the main parking lot, the first thing I saw was the static displays in the far distance. C-130 Hercules and C-17 caught my attention easily enough but moving closer, you started to find the more interesting gems on the field.

IMG_0020.jpg

Of course you had to stroll around the static displays and parked aircraft for a time, making sure to sit in the HPK 16 Blackhawk for some time (if only to rest your weary feet!) but I never really fancied static displays unless you can enter the Aircraft themselves.

IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

I never really fancied civilian aircraft, and air shows are no exceptions. I have heard complaints that this was too much of a Swedish Defence Exhibit, but it was called "Air Force Show" so there you have it. We did however have a few foreign guests doing some bit of very fancy flying...

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Now, what pretty much everybody present was there for was of course the Saab Aircraft. Whoever says differently is probably a liar. Swedish Air Force Historical Flight and other associations have done a terrific work to restore airframes to airworthy conditions. The early Swedish Dive-Bomber B-17 made an impressive appearance, simulating dive-bombing.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Then we had the Historical Six-Flight taking off...

(The Flight also included a SK-60 but I missed its take-off)

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

IMG_0225.jpg

While the 6-Flight was forming up, we was given quite the treat. A Two-Flight of Helicopter 14 and a Helicopter 16 Blackhawk did a flyby of the crowd. Helicopter 14 (Or the epic fail of Helicopter Purchases as its sometimes called) had already been seen in Finnish hands doing stunts; but Helicopter 16 Blackhawk was paid keen attention.

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0263.jpg

Then it was time for the big moment of the show. The Saab 6-Flight...

IMG_0297.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

..and their landing was given so much attention that a civilian show was slightly postponed...

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

After this, we was treated with a display by the Helicopters and troops, announced with danger-close blank-firing from a Helicopter 15...

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

All simulated targets destroyed, zero casualties. Simple. Considering how the Fifteens poured it on, one would think that there would either be no need for ground troops - or Blue-on-Blue - but its a display, so we will let it slide ;-).

After this, the air shows continued.

J 32B Lansen and Hawker Hunter does not seem like that odd a pair to couple, but they are quite different in the air...

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0678.jpg

For some reason, the official display team of the Air Force, Team 60 are currently in Decommission. Why this is the cause, I do not know, but their place today was taken by instructors at the Malmslätt Flight Academy.

IMG_0672.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

After this, a customer of the Gripen was allowed to show their stuff. It would become an inofficial competition about who could fly the Gripen better - the South Africans or the Swedes...

IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

The Swedes replied with a total of five Gripens. First a four-ship, then a solo display as the last point of the program.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

Then came one of the big moments of the show. A solo display flight of AJ-37 Viggen!

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

Aside from a show by a single Gripen, that was it for the day. Or so I tought when I heard a roar above me. Thankfully, I had not put down my camera...

IMG_1012.jpg

The day was really awesome, and I got away with a few nice experiences and some neat loot. Aside from a Helikopterflottiljen Shirt, I also got to sit in Helikopter 16 Blackhawk and SK60...

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

Yes, I tried to hijack it but I was not allowed to. Bugger.

The fact that I have been inside a blackhawk have yet to sink in yet.

As far as I am concerned, it was well worth the trip, and I will probably do my best to attend next year. Hopefully, we will have a lot better weather then...

• Like 1

Only one thing to say: wish I had been there.... An airforce keeping an example of practically every jet it ever flew in the air - including the supersonic ones - deserves the highest praise !!!!!!!! Thanks for posting Jonathan (and o yes: GREAT PICS) !!!:good:

Edited by Derk

SAAB aircraft... simply excellent!

The Draken still looks sleek compared to modern aircraft, and I like the Viggen just as much.

Great photo spread. It looked like an excellent show. The 6-ship of Saab jets must have been such a treat.

Thanks for sharing.

-Jeff

Great shots! I like the one of the line up of Gripen operators, although it looks like the Czechs are missing.

Why is the NH90 considered a fail?

And that Viggen could use a coat of paint!

An airforce keeping an example of practically every jet it ever flew in the air :good:

Only the Draken & Hawker Hunter is military registered. The rest are civilians, operated by Swedish Air Force Historical Flight that consists of volunteers. Air Force pays for some expenses, like giving them free hangar space, free fuel and access to spare parts.

Why is the NH90 considered a fail?

Long story short: We signed contract for NH90, wanting to buy some. Then the project was delayed and over-budget, as these things tend to be. Over countries demanded to have theirs delivered first, or they would cancel their orders. Swedish Defence did no such thing, no demands, no nothing. Just sat and waited while the bill became heavier and no helicopters to show for it. The Helicopter was supposed to be fully operational by 2009 - And we got the first one 2011.

This left us without proper Medevac resources and let us to purchase Helicopter 16 Blackhawk for a fraction of the price, at 1/100 of the time to make sure we had helicopters.

And that Viggen could use a coat of paint!

Nope. They want her that way. Apparently thats how the first Viggen looked when they arrived at såtenäs. If you ask me, I too think they should just give her the Splinter Camo and save natural silver for the SH-37 they are fixing.

Great pics Jon :drinks:

I think the Viggen is looking ace in natural metal. would almost be a shame to paint it.

Only the Draken & Hawker Hunter is military registered. The rest are civilians, operated by Swedish Air Force Historical Flight that consists of volunteers. Air Force pays for some expenses, like giving them free hangar space, free fuel and access to spare parts.

Bit like in Holland: Dutch Historic Flight = SwedishHistoric Flight, a Spitfire, a B25 and some lighter stuff but no fast jets. . 2 Hunters flying from Leeuwarden, getting KLu hangarage (shelters) but civilian operation. But no such things as for instance Meteors, Thunderstreaks, Sabres, NF 5's or F 104's..... :boredom:

Excellent set of pics m8, looked like a great day out. :clapping:

Cool pix,

thanks for sharing! :good:

Wow, the Draken's nose-high attitude on landing is quite remarkable! Those tail bumpers must be quite worn.

Actually, the funniest thing to me is your referrals to the Blackhawk, perhaps considered one of the most mundane things the US flies due to their vast numbers and ubiquitous presence. I was once on a trip in Islamorada or Marathon, one of the Florida Keys, just going down to the beach and there was a US Customs 60 parked on the grass next to the parking lot and the crew in one of the gazebos there eating lunch. Frankly, their glossy black and gold scheme I find the most attractive scheme of any 60.

Actually, the funniest thing to me is your referrals to the Blackhawk, perhaps considered one of the most mundane things the US flies due to their vast numbers and ubiquitous presence.

I would love to describe the Swedish people difficult and strange relationship with US Politics but it can best be summed up with that if there was anything that in Swedish eyes symbolises American Military, it is the Blackhawk. As such, it is also about the last thing you expect our country to purchase for our own force.

Most Swedish Airplane Enthusiasts have long been convinced they will be lucky if they see a Blackhawk - and even more lucky if they are to actually enter one.

The Viggen, how wonderful. The intensity of his "tongue of fire" is awesome, I will give a lot to see it in live ! Great pictures !

I don't get it myself. My guess is many find Sweden too "left leaning" for their tastes, so perhaps that colors all dealings, but personally I see no more reason for that than I do US-Indian tensions. I'd rather have India as a friend than double-dealing Pakistan!

Frankly I think the Gripen would've been a great F-16 replacement, especially with the F-35s long-delayed gestation, but of course even with a US engine and maybe radar and cockpit stuff the odds of the US buying a Swedish fighter are none and zero!

Frankly I think the Gripen would've been a great F-16 replacement, especially with the F-35s long-delayed gestation, but of course even with a US engine and maybe radar and cockpit stuff the odds of the US buying a Swedish fighter are none and zero!

That depends. Gripen was designed to be cheap to fly and easy to maintain. A F-5 of the 21th Century if you will. If they do not wish to continue producing and upgrading F-16s or equip National Guard Units with same, licence-built Gripens would not be a too bad choice really. I can see it happen, but it would be very unlikely.

The Economical side of the Gripen is why many think Brazil will purchase them. If they do, they will be able to patrol their skies alot more then they currently can afford.

Edited by JonathanRL

WOW ! :yikes::good: Jonathan, those pics are awesome thanks so very much for sharing and so many of them for wallpapers !

Love the Viggen and the Draken, my all time favourite SAAB aircraft, like someone said earlier high priases to the Flygvapnet for maintaining its proud history in flying condition.

EDIT:- Thank god the Swedes make their own and fly their own fast jets.

Edited by Atreides