Hello all was wondering If someone knows what the texture limits are in this game. Can they be 24-bit and 32-bit? Can we go beyond 2048 to 4096X4096? And If so, can such large textures be 32-bit bmps?

Thanks

we've got some 4096 Phantom skins by Sundowner.

the game, at it's current levels will accept bmp, jpg and dds for skins (iirc, dds has to set in the lod. as mabye to the others? not sure -- 3d gurus please step in!!).

oddly, bmp and jpg are pretty much interchangle -at least on stock aircraft. For reason I'm totally unclear on!!! :lol:

we've got some 4096 Phantom skins by Sundowner.

the game, at it's current levels will accept bmp, jpg and dds for skins (iirc, dds has to set in the lod. as mabye to the others? not sure -- 3d gurus please step in!!).

oddly, bmp and jpg are pretty much interchangle -at least on stock aircraft. For reason I'm totally unclear on!!! :lol:

Hello Wrench, I've been experimenting and I've finally got my textures to show at 24 bit bmp (32-bit wouldn't show) I'm off to see now If the 4096 will work at 24-bit..

Thanks for the speedy reply :salute:

Same is valid for 3rd party....it seems all lods accept it...

40962 is overkill especially for aircraft requiring four or five bitmaps and Third Wire do just fine with 10242.

There are some excellent skins out there using just one 20482 bitmap e.g. Julhelm's delightful Convair 201 or Dels' excellent F-23A 'Black Widow'. For an F-5A sized aircraft I'd go for 20482.

Great project BTW!!!

If you ask me. It all depends on how the stuff is mapped. 4096x4096 is great if you have one bitmap for example and want a lot of fine details. it will be equal to 4 maps with 2048x2048. a typical high res. good for realistic rivets and readable stencils.

For the KAW mod we are using one map for the mustang in 4096x4096 works great.

And bmp format in any Thirdwire sim is always 24 bit

40962 is overkill especially for aircraft requiring four or five bitmaps and Third Wire do just fine with 10242.

There are some excellent skins out there using just one 20482 bitmap e.g. Julhelm's delightful Convair 201 or Dels' excellent F-23A 'Black Widow'. For an F-5A sized aircraft I'd go for 20482.

Great project BTW!!!

My F-5a project will have 2 4096 textures for the entire external model; It still looks sweet at 2048, but the rivet and stenciling are not as clear. At any rate, the end user has the option of scaling that down himself should he so desire .. upscaling is impossible!:scratch:

If you ask me. It all depends on how the stuff is mapped. 4096x4096 is great if you have one bitmap for example and want a lot of fine details. it will be equal to 4 maps with 2048x2048. a typical high res. good for realistic rivets and readable stencils.

For the KAW mod we are using one map for the mustang in 4096x4096 works great.

And bmp format in any Thirdwire sim is always 24 bit

Yes, thanks .. I realized too that the bmps have to be at 24-bit.

What I haven't had success at, is getting my bump maps to show in game. They're properly set up (and render in max beautifully too!) but no show in game .. are there any parameters that have to be included for bumps in the texture.ini files?

Regards

use jpg instead of bmp!

Saves a lot of space and the performance in game is much better.

Yes, thanks .. I realized too that the bmps have to be at 24-bit.

What I haven't had success at, is getting my bump maps to show in game. They're properly set up (and render in max beautifully too!) but no show in game .. are there any parameters that have to be included for bumps in the texture.ini files?

Regards

Bump maps need to be located in the main folder of the aircraft not in the skin folder. I can't help you if its settings in max for the bump maps. My knowledge of max is very very limited

Bump maps need to be located in the main folder of the aircraft not in the skin folder. I can't help you if its settings in max for the bump maps. My knowledge of max is very very limited

hgbn, you're a life saver!:clapping: It would never have occurred to me to try that (mine was in the skin folder). Now the bump maps show up in-game. Thanks a lot!!

Regards

You're welcome. Just happy I could help