squid

your expert opinion on choosing weapon guidance type

What guidance type (& corresponding guidance type number) would you use for

1. AM39 Air launched anti-ship Exocet

2. Storm Shadow / Scalp-EG air launched cruise missile

i am interested more about in-game effectiveness rather than fidelity corresponding to theoretical real-life guidance type (that probably the game engine cannot reproduce),

In other words the Exocet to always find its ship target (or at least able to target always the non civilian ships for sure) and the cruise missile to target and hit the selected ground target (unless both ofcourse got successfully intercepted by some AA system)

(e.g. the only way for the first maybe is to equip all ships with radar (how would i do that?) and make the exocet a radiation homing guided weapon? )

Edited by squid

aren't there already updated ones out? I seem to recal seeing it somewhere ... maybe in the SF2NA thread "what new" discussing modifing Haproons, Exocets and other existing 'cruise missiles'

don't forget, when tagged as cruise missile, it allows enemy anit-air defenses to target and shoot them down

Thanks Wrench! so far i only found the discussion (will keep on looking for updated downloads. Although i think pretty much the ini information needed is there in the thread i guess)

So i guess both AntiShip MIssiles and literally Cruise missiles (land targets) can both used as type"7" weapons on both sea and land targets? they will just travel to the selected target either a ship or ground target ? Would be nice to have some indication in the cockpit when being within range . Aren't there air launched Harpoons used in stock loadout in any stock flyable ?? (A-7?)

Air defences being able to target and shoot those missiles is a wanted game engine candy :D

• Like 1

With regards to targeting, you can launch cruise missiles against both land and sea targets, but the missile's flight profile will determine if it actually gets to your target. Sea-skimming anti-ship missiles will often crash into terrain if you try to use them against land targets. I've found that giving land attack cruise missiles a lofted profile or a much higher minimum altitude prevents that from happening, and also makes them easier to intercept by a ship's air defenses, so it's good for game balance.

As far as I know, there hasn't been any all-inclusive adjustment for the existing weapons posted anywhere, just a few featured in certain modded campaigns and aircraft packs here and there. I've already updated all of the third-party anti-ship and cruise missiles (JASSMs, ALCMs, SCALPs, Exocets, RBS15s, Gabriels, Kayaks, Kazoos, whatever) in my install to use the new cruise missile format, and modified for proper speed and range where possible. Want me to upload a package of them?

• Like 1

seconded!!

Want me to upload a package of them?

That would be great good.gif

Is there any chance of having some in-range notification in cockpits for cruise type weapons ?

Just uploaded the package and awaiting approval. There are 70+ missiles, pretty much everything I could get my hands on and convert. I test-fired just about all of them at least once, but if anyone encounters any anomalous performance from one of the weapons, please let me know.

Is there any chance of having some in-range notification in cockpits for cruise type weapons ?

That would definitely be nice. I know very little about building cockpits, but it seems like we can only have in-range notifications for radar-guided air to air missiles.