Sign in to follow this  
Stratos

Is the F-15E SEAD capable?

Wondering If the Strike Eagle can carry the AGM-88 HARM and If is usually used as a SEAD aircraft. I always used Vipers for SEAD in Falcon 4, but maybe the F-15E is capable too and is used in that role by the USAF and the Israeli Air Force.

Anyone knows?

I could be wrong but as far as I'm aware it is technically capable of SEAD and theoretically superior to the Viper however is viewed as to valuable to risk as a SAM magnet when the Viper is cheaper and does an adequate job.

Craig

According to the websites I looked at,the F-15E can be configured to carry the AGM-88.

The USAF does not want to put that aircraft in that precarious position.

It has the F-16 (block 50-52) configured for the SEAD role. It uses that aircraft in conjunction with the F-15E for air to ground strike missions in high SAM/AAA threat environments.

It can carry the AGM-88, but I'm not sure about the specialized electronics the F-16 usually carries (that enabled it to supplant the F-4G...mostly) that lets it fire them with more precision. I don't think the E has those internally nor can it carry that pod outside.

Likewise the EA-6B I think fires the 88 more accurately than either Hornet.

Makes sense, you don't risk two pilot and a expensive aircrAft if you use a Viper.

Thanks.