Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Aerial Photo of Jasta 2 Aerodrome at Lagnicourt, October 1916

Since I'm flying with Jasta 2, Lagnicourt 1916, in my "serious Campaign, I was searching for an aerial view of the airfield.

And I found one in FLICKR. Then I made some screenshots from Google Streetview to show, how it all looks today.

Again here is a place, that hasn't changed much through the last 96 years.

The aerial photo was taken on 21 October 1916. That was only 1 week, before the famous "father of all Jastas" Oswald

Boelcke crashed and died after a collision with Erwin Böhme. Boelcke was the mentor of many German aces such as

Manfred von Richthofen.

[ Source of the Aerial Photograph: http://www.flickr.co...267777/sizes/o/ ]

Lagnicourt.jpg

Albatros Jasta 2.jpg

Now and then.jpg

Lagnicourt now.jpg

Edited by Olham

Considering how much more people there are living in Europe now than a century ago, and how much cities and towns have grown during all those decades, it's amazing to still find places that practically haven't changed at all.

Many old fields have now disappeared under housing areas, but it seems you are able to find all the ones that haven't!

I've never heard of those pilots but, hot damn, this photo is fantastic, Olham! :drinks: Nope, requires two more! :drinks::drinks:

I was wrong where I thought the airfield was. I was off about 600 yards in another field. I took this 1916 aerial and lined it up with photos of Boelcke and it was just spot on. Now when I go back to Lagnicourt I can visit the proper location!

Now, your next mission: 1917 aerial of Roucourt.

Most interesting that almost a hundred years later, not only has the field remained open, but the town itself has barely grown.

Great glimpse of history, thanks!

I've never heard of those pilots ...

Which ones? Böhme? Boelcke?? MvR??? :grin:

I took this 1916 aerial and lined it up with photos of Boelcke and it was just spot on.

My reward: those photos of Boelcke via PM - plleeeeeze!

Now, your next mission: 1917 aerial of Roucourt.

Gulo! Glutton!! Wolverine!!! :rofl:

PS: For Roucourt I can at least help with a map excerpt, which shows clearly, where the Jasta airfield

and the barracks were (namely where you always said they had been).

I already have every blade of grass at Roucourt mapped! Even have a pre-war aerial photo. Just need one during the war. Ahh, that's the key. Although, with the photograph that shows the church and the coal mine smokestack, the aerial shot is no longer needed to ascertain positive location. I just want to see it because I want to see it. :dntknw:

I sent you some photos the other day (not Boelcke, some Albs, I think). Did they make it? We're having email troubles, I know. Please let me know if they did before I try to send more.

Jim, one mail came through from your end, and I answered it - if you receive the answer,

then we should use that address. No idea why it suddenly doesn't work anymore.

I get a message, that it couldn't get delivered. How strange is that?