Stephen1918

Aviatik D.I Upgrade

Today I posted upgrades for the Aviatik D.I. The original version has all new LODs and a revised FM by Ojcar. I also uploaded an early version with the machine guns mounted lower on the fuselage.

In the early version I made patches for all of Quack74's skins to cover the space in front of the cockpit. Ojcar also made an FM which includes the weakness of the upper wing in the early versions of the plane (you can break the wing during violent maneuvers if you're not careful.)

post-67404-0-18740300-1338950142.jpg

post-67404-0-88495900-1338950148.jpg

Thank you and am eagerly anticipating your Eastern Front Campaign mod. :good:

As a matter of fact, and after flying the plane much more, I think the earlier version is too hard not to break the wing in combat, so I'll send Stephen a new FM with wings slightly better....but I have to finish another plane: watching quack's Aviatik skins I have discovered the wing armed version. I think it's a good idea, but it must have the 185 Hp engine and a Swarzlose Machine gun (you still will see a Lewis, sorry... but it will be a Swarzlose). I have to test the plane more and send Stephen the files).

As a matter of fact, and after flying the plane much more, I think the earlier version is too hard not to break the wing in combat, so I'll send Stephen a new FM with wings slightly better....but I have to finish another plane: watching quack's Aviatik skins I have discovered the wing armed version. I think it's a good idea, but it must have the 185 Hp engine and a Swarzlose Machine gun (you still will see a Lewis, sorry... but it will be a Swarzlose). I have to test the plane more and send Stephen the files).

Maybe Stephen can create a Shwarzlose model for the "Weapons" folder. I'm sure he could make one while he's reading this post :grin:

@ojcar on the A-team site they have a "WWI gunpod" set it has spandaus and vickers in it as well as the usual lewis. maybe teh vickers or Spandau would be a better fit as a Swarzlose stand in. I asked over there if they could make a Swarzlose but I couldn't find any good diagrams.

Maybe Stephen can create a Shwarzlose model for the "Weapons" folder. I'm sure he could make one while he's reading this post :grin:

I'd be happy to try. Who has some photos (or some links) of the Schwarzlose wing mount? I have a lot of info for the gun itself, but I need to know how it was mounted and how the ammo was loaded. Did it have a drum feed? Did it have a brace at the barrel like the Lewis? Etc?

Its really not that important Stephen :no: Im sure you have many projects on your plate already. All my pics of an Aviatik DI are in my "User" data in the computer shop.. I should be getting my Data back tomorrow or Friday :clapping: But then I have to reinstall everything into my new PC I just got. Major PITA :blink: . But I will have a handfull of pics for you in a few days if you want.

@ojcar on the A-team site they have a "WWI gunpod" set it has spandaus and vickers in it as well as the usual lewis. maybe teh vickers or Spandau would be a better fit as a Swarzlose stand in. I asked over there if they could make a Swarzlose but I couldn't find any good diagrams.

The Vickers and the Spandau's are too big. The heat exchange tubes around the gun barrels are just too big to be pulled off as a schwarzlose. If the barrel was removed from the Lewis its pretty close. Thats why I went w the Lewis.

I believe the "GunData" already has a Schwarslose in it. we just need a decent 3D model like the A-Teams Gun Pod models. It would be great to have because many Austrian Two-Seaters used multiple Schwarslose guns in different locations. Sometimes two on the upper wing. It would be cool to be able to place the gun as a "Weapon Station" on a plane via the aircrafts "Loadout". That way we will have the option to place it where we choose. I for one would rather not have it as a part of the aircrafts .LOD but used from the "Weapons folder" like the A-Teams add-on gun pods.

I have seen a couple pics where they had the gun mounted in the "baby coffin too. Maybe stephen could do that too I know one of his planes has one .Not being a 3d guy I don't know if it would be easy to 'detach" it from the 3d model to use as a gun pod. If no one else finds any I'll dig up the refference stuff I had for the Schwarslose and post it when I get home from work in the morning.

Don't panic! I have sent Stephen an entire book about the plane. Nevertheless, at the moment, the plane is not useful for the AI, because the angle (it must be 10-15º, depending on authors). I need to tweak it more.

Don't panic! I have sent Stephen an entire book about the plane. Nevertheless, at the moment, the plane is not useful for the AI, because the angle (it must be 10-15º, depending on authors). I need to tweak it more.

Thank you Ojcar! The stuff you sent included several good views of the Schwarzlose gun wing mount.

I should have a model made pretty soon. (It looks like the gun was belt fed with chutes running from the fuselage to the gun.)