Sign in to follow this  
Luther1517

Off Topic: Good Read

Greeting to everyone! I have not had the opportunity to visit this (or any other forum) for months now due to "domestic matters" and a major cross country move. BTW, I just noticed our new forum home @ SimHQ...I hope the transition goes smoothly (I am still waiting for my profile to be approved).

Anyhow, I recently found a very interesting and well written book by Christoper Duffy: 'through German eyes: The British and the SOMME 1916 (2006). Duffy has done a great job of researching this book, and it is an easy read. He looks at the German Intel procedures during WWI and their fascination with British "home life", as well as military matters, as obtained through PO W's. Duffy also paints a complete portrait of the cosmopolitan make-up of the World before WWI and the "cross cultural" nature of the combatants. It is an extremely objective view, from both sides of 'No Man's Land', during WWI. I am no book or literary scholar, but I think it makes a great addition to any Military History library.

ISBN-13 978 0 297 84689 5

ISBN-10 0 297 84689 2

Best regards,

Luther1517

Thank you, Luther - sounds like an interesting read. But both your ISBN-Numbers don't get me anywhere?

PS: Ah, now I got it - you must simply type it:

ISBN 9780753822029

I have always had the utmost confidence in you, Oham.:salute:

BTW, did you get my PM?

Sorry, no PM from you yet, Luther. Or do you mean the other forum?

Ah, thanks for the heads up Luther. I've gone ahead and picked it up to add to my summer reading list. Should be a good one! :salute:

CaptSopwith,

Hope you do enjoy it as much as I am. It gives a unique perspective on The Great War; one that is seldom considered. I never knew how many high to mid level ranking British officers were either dismissed or displaced due th their German heritage or ancestry. To bad Kitchener did not have access to Ancestry.com back then. :yikes:

Have a great summer.

Luther1517