Sign in to follow this  
ghostrider883

INS Vikramaditya starts sea trials

Indian Navy's aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya( ex-Soviet Navy Adm. Gorshkov) left for sea trials yesterday. She will undergo extensive sea trials for four months (including launch/recovery of her air wing), before being handed over to the Indian Navy by December 2012( in time for Indian Navy Day - December 04) :cool:

INS Vikramaditya starts sea trials

Edited by ghostrider883

Under the general appearance characteristic of Kiev and Gorshkov, it is impressive to see how they have changed it !

The sad part is how long it took. It should've been in service long ago. That carrier was literally being built when the USSR collapsed, and after wallowing about for years India bought it but it's STILL taken forever to get it going.

It's like Russia looked at it like a great welfare program for its defense shipbuilders, but didn't want to hire too many. So instead of getting it done in a few years, let's have 1/4 as many people as we should on it and just give them jobs for a decade or so working on JUST this.

The sad part is how long it took.

I think the sad part is how the ink on the sales/refurbishment contract was signed, then the Russian government decided to renegotiate the price. India got d*cked on that one. I'd be interested to see if the Mig-29s are wholly built new and not using components or extensively modified 'old' airframes. It's a shame, they make some fine military platforms in Russia but some of their companies try thug it out and make their money hand over fist.

The Indians did get screwed over this carrier deal and the sad part is that they knew they were getting shafted but after having coughed up most of the money and having to then pay more to finally get a "new" carrier was smarter than walking away from it without a carrier and billion plus in U.S Dollars already spent. They will have this carrier and the indigenous carrier, which is a year behind schedule, but building a carrier was never easy.

The good news is that the Indians appeared to have learnt their lesson of sorts( or one should hope so) with Russia getting the message loud and clear that India can shop elsewhere and shop they did P-8I, C-17's, and lets not forget Rafale, which must have stung. Hopefully the Indians dont get screwed on the PAK-FA/FGFA.

It's supposedly a co-development deal (another article made clear that PAK-FA was NOT a production-ready model, but just a prototype...more X-35 than F-35 or YF-22 than F-22A) so hopefully for their money they'll get something decent.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Russian organized crime runs their defense industry. I know there's corruption, but sometimes it seems more like outright extortion.

Translated from Russian webpage:

Indian aircraft carrier "Vikramaditya" in the trials in the White Sea has exceeded the required handling characteristics

MOSCOW, June 21. (ARMS-TASS). The aircraft carrier "Vikramaditya" Indian Navy (former Russian aircraft carrier "Admiral Gorshkov") this week successfully completes sea trials of the factory in the White Sea. This was reported by Itar-Tass source in the shipbuilding industry.

"Experts" Sevmash ", where the upgraded aircraft carrier, are deeply gratified that during the trial which began June 8 in a sea of ​​running the required characteristics of the spacecraft were not only sustained, but even exceeded," - said the source.

"The ship operates in the test crew of our Navy, on board are also commissioning team, representatives of the" Sevmash "and the officers of Indian Navy," - he added.

The source said that next week, "Vikramaditya", after loading the fuel, water and food to take a course from the White Sea to the Barents Sea, "where he will begin test flights of the deck on a ship-based aviation group decked Russian MiG-29K."

Previously, the spokesperson of the "Sevmash" Anastasia Nikitinskaya reported that "the testing program is designed for 124 days."

A source in the shipbuilding industry confirmed that the aircraft carrier "Vikramaditya" will give the Indian Navy in December of this year.

As previously reported the official representative of the United Shipbuilding Corporation Alexei Kravchenko, sea trials on factory aircraft carrier "Vikramaditya" in the White Sea, "will test the ship's main systems and components, main and auxiliary power systems, communication systems, navigation and others."

http://www.armstass.su/?page=article&aid=107842&cid=25

post-1698-0-49640700-1340334241.jpg

post-1698-0-66242500-1340334253.jpg

post-1698-0-57572400-1340334281.jpg

The superstructure is immense relative to the vessel's size.

In Soviet-Russia better bigger is.

Well obviously not or it would be at least Kitty Hawk-sized if not larger!

But I could guess almost half the ship's complement could fit in there compared to a Western carrier where just a small fraction could.

That soviet line was not supposed to make sense JM tis was supposed to be just a silly one. :grin: On a serious note I cant wait to see the MIG-29 KUB launching off the carrier with a loadout. Finally the Indian Navy gets some reach.

Edited by Atreides

Wow that size of the stuperstructure ! Looking inspirated from the Japanese pagoda mast.

How many KUBs will it be getting? A dozen or so?

As per Air Forces monthly 15 for the Indian Naval air arm. 45 on order. Nothing compared to the might of the US navy super carriers but then no one else is close to the USN. But its perfect for Indian needs. Keep in mind last two carriers were all ex RN. Thats what the Indian navy wants and realistically those are the type of carriers the Indian Navy needs for its blue water navy.

EDIT:- Wait, in the second pic if you look close is that a vodka bottle in the reflection.

Edited by Atreides

How many KUBs will it be getting? A dozen or so?

Indian Navy's MiG-29K/KUB squadron( INAS 303 "Black Panthers) is fully operational with 16 MiG-29K/KUBs. Additional MiG-29K/KUBs are on order for a MiG-29K second squadron.

Looking at the size of the ship, don't think it can more than 10 or 12 MiGs. It also will early Ka-28/29 ASW and Ka-31 AEW helicopters.

Single seat MiG-29K (8XX serial no series):

day02_035.jpg

Twin seat MiG-29KUB (6XX serial no series)

38849_34954.jpg

IN MiG-29KUB on board the Kuznetsov

MiG-29-KUB-Indian-Navy-Fighter-Aircraft-Carrier-Kuznetzsov-Russia-01-www.aame.in.jpg

Edited by ghostrider883

Yeah, I didn't think that more than a dozen could fit in the hangar. It's a reason I was shocked back when the Soviets went the Su-33 route at first because they can't carry as many. Of course, now they've changed their minds and decided the Indians have the right idea!

Wow, that Helix is almost touching the hangar ceiling.

Anybody want to finish her up? it's an old Kiev model I had purchased a few years ago to put into CFS2 and never did anything with it.

I might be interested, got a couple of months off and I'm looking for somethig to do. Ultimatly I'm aiming at doing the Colosus/Majestic class and CVA-01 for FSX... still might be a usefull learning project.

Craig

Edited by fallenphoenix1986

he probably would but I pile so much on him sometimes I feel sorry.......................... sometimes ;-/ plus I think the shipyard is in sort of labor dispute with the upper management, you know how them ahhhhhh workers are always wanting more more,,,,, vacation, sick leave, bonuses safe working environment, 16 hour work week being paid 40, full company supplied retirement and medical for life OHH did I get that wrong that's Congress......................

Edited by colmack

A MiG-29KUB two-seat naval fighter jet made the first touch-and-go landings last week on the Indian Navy aircraft carrier Vikramaditya, Sevmash shipyard said on Monday.

The ship is currently undergoing sea trials in the Barents Sea off the north coast of Russia.

The jet, piloted by navy test-pilots Col. Nikolai Diorditsa and Mikhail Belyaev, completed several approaches to the carrier and finally made a touch-and-go landing.

The Vikramaditya, formerly the Russian Navy's Admiral Gorshkov, is to be handed over to India after the trials after a much-delayed refit.

The ship was extensively modified to undertake STOBAR (short takeoff but assisted recovery) operations with MiG-29K naval fighter aircraft, as well as receiving new air defense, communications and navigations systems.

http://en.rian.ru/mlitary_news/20120723/174739426.html

NEWS » INTERNATIONAL

MOSCOW, July 29, 2012

MIG fighter makes first landing on INS Vikramaditya

A Russian-built fighter jet has made the first landing on the INS Vikramaditya as part of comprehensive sea trials the aircraft carrier is undergoing ahead of its induction in the Indian Navy later this year.

A MiG-29KUB two-seat naval fighter jet landed on the Vikramaditya’s deck for the first time on Saturday after performing several touch-and-go approaches in the Barents Sea in the Russian Arctic, the Interfax news agency reported quoting a Russian defence industry source. The jet, built for India, was piloted by Russian Navy test-pilots Colonel Nikolai Diorditsa and Mikhail Belyaev.

The former Soviet Admiral Gorshkov heavy aviation cruiser, rechristened Vikramaditya, has been extensive refurbished and upgraded to a light aircraft carrier at the Sevmash shipyard in the Russian city of Severodvinsk under a $2.3 billion contract with India. It had its flight deck extended and turned into a full runway with a ski jump and arrestor wires.

A MiG-35 jet will also be used for landings and take-offs from the flight deck of the aircraft carrier to test its new short-takeoff-but-assisted recovery (STOBAR) system.

The Vikramaditya is to be handed over to India in December. It will carry 16 MiG-29K fighter jets, which Russia delivered to India last year, and about a dozen Russian-built Kamov helicopters.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/international/article3697040.ece

original.jpg

Video:

Edited by ghostrider883