Olham

My Home is my Castle

Opening the windows of my sleeping room, which is also my OFF Base/Headquarter, I just thought how peaceful my place really is.

In spring and summer, "my" backyard is an isle of flourishing green, which contrasts nicely with the cream walls.

In autumn, it all turns into yellow, orange, rusty-red and burgundy colours, and it feels like a little "Backyard Paradise" to me,

when I return from the noisy city. While my living room shows to the little street, my sleeping room is perfectly quiet.

Of course it is not "my" backyard - it belongs to the many birds, which are sometimes chanting so loud, that you better put your CD

player off and enjoy their concerts.

I had to take a photo of it, and then I thought: why not make a thread, where everyone can post a picture of a part of his own paradies?

It could be your house or garden, your flat or your balcony, or just your own OFF Base in your own HQ corner.

It could even be a special place near where you live, where you go quite often; which it feels good to come back to.

What do you say? Come up with your pics, please!

Here's mine:

Edited by Olham

My Yard is where I belong.

I've tried all my life to own somewhere that was properly mine, and mine alone, and my yard is it. I can do what I want here - at last!!!.

We've hit a bit of trouble lately with the credit crunch, but we'll be ok, and we'll get back on the front foot once the economy improves. It's frustrating, but it reminds me why I hate money, and how it pevents people reaching their potential. So does TV, but that's another story. It's tough having to put your ideas on the back burner just to make a living, but that's Bankers for you.

It will be grand when I'm finished, and a haven for wild birds too. In fact, I'm experimenting with building a couple of nest holes for the birds. It's still being roughed out, but I've seen blue tits nesting walls before, and the hole is the right size for them, so if I build a little crevice in the wall for them, we shall see if that works out.

I feel more at home here than I do at home. In fact, I could sleep anywhere, rough, under a tree, anywhere, and not really care for 'home'.

The yard is a means to an end. Once it's finished, then I'll think about making a proper home, and it'll be a cracker, but I reckon you'll still find me in my yard most of the time with my dogs.

post-45899-0-43251800-1339332808.jpg

post-45899-0-73382300-1339332866.jpg

post-45899-0-75318400-1339333023.jpg

Hey, that really looks like "my home is my castle". Wonderful, your stone works!

As for the bluetits - the nest may later rott and make it unattractive for another year?

Perpaps it would be good, if you could still have access and remove old dirt?

Just an idea.

Could that be Pippin's bum behind the blue barrel?

I live in a block of apartments near a garden:

apartamento_t3_carcavelos_usado_95842270307083306.jpg

And this is my view to the garden and the sea (a couple km away):

5029854_3b.jpg?x=1331073280

Edited by Von Paulus

Oh, wow - coming from the sea myself, I'd love to have a view on the water. Evenfrom far away.

I bet, with westwind, you can smell the salt and iodine?

Not really, but it's true that I'm used to that smell, that I can't notice a difference if it isn't too strong. However I can hear sometimes the rumble of the rough sea.

I inherit my old mother's house, so I have another place where I usually stay for four or five times in a year.

It's near the highest mountain in Portugal. It's an old house that in spite of having been rebuild fifteen years ago, it's completely made of stone.

So it's quite cold in Winter, even with central heating.

Here it's a view to the sierra in a gloomy day.

UCEjd.jpg

Wow - you lucky man!

Well, I'm still paying the house where I live (more eleven years).

The cottage isn't much valuable, because it's in the middle of a isolated tiny tiny village.

Even if I wanted to sold, I wouldn't get much money. But I will never sell it. It was my mom and her parents (at least) house.

In a way my roots are there.

And yes I feel lucky in that regard. Because I live near the beach and the sea, but if I want to get out to clean ideas, just get the train (3 hours) and escape to the mountain.

So I get the best of the two worlds.

Edited by Von Paulus

My back yard on what is a very rainy day today (2 inches overnight and still coming down).

post-45855-0-83519100-1339347258.jpg

Thanks, Cody - I bet with sun it would be great for barbeqeues!

Guys, if your avatar doesn't tell: could you all please add, where your place is more or less?

A virtual RFC Squadron ( and an occasional Jasta...) flies out of this unassuming cedar-shingle cottage out near the beach in Westport, Massachusetts. The neighbors don't mind a good, scrappy dogfight going on as long as we keep it above 7,000 ft. (any lower and it sets the dogs to barking) and please, no blip-switches on approach after sundown.

HOUSE_COMPUTER.jpg

Which squadron is the cat flying for? Or is he the CO?

Which squadron is the cat flying for? Or is he the CO?

Some of the flashier flying units had Lions or Leopards as mascots. This is the biggest cat I can afford to feed.

Some of the flashier flying units had Lions or Leopards as mascots. This is the biggest cat I can afford to feed.

And that doesn't look at you thinking you're food.:grin:

"Mmuahahahahahahaaaa!!!!!

Us Dsherrmans hav a Goat - der Goat can find hiss own food anywhere.

He sumptimez eatz der hair off der Mechaniks' headz - vee don't even need

a hair cutter zatt way. Mmuahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!!!"

Edited by Olham

What a lovely idea for a post Olham.

Well, I live in Suburbia at the moment...it's ok, but hardly picturesque...though here's a shot I took of a winter sunset out in my back yard

But...just a few miles up the road, is Swallow Falls...which is my 'Soul Place'..... and it appears to be little Sophie's 'Soul Place' too :grin:

i don't have current pictures of my german home right now, will post when i make some, but here are some i uploaded some years ago from the place in croatia where i'm originally from, with some pics of the old small house where my grandparents and my father grew up. now it's abandoned because my parents built a bigger house years ago, but still in our ownership on the island of krk, so occasionally i still go there to visit the roots when going back to croatia. for me it's kind of feeling when seeing the old house of my ancestors, probably like michael corleone when he visited for first time the small town corleone ;-)

http://combatace.com/gallery/album/354-croatia/

Edited by Creaghorn

This thread needs some snow, I think! :grin:

IMG_0444.jpg

A winter landscape. Notice the animal tracks near the stream.

Well, I live in Suburbia at the moment...it's ok, but hardly picturesque...

I guess that is typical British understatement, old boy.

But...just a few miles up the road, is Swallow Falls...which is my 'Soul Place'..... and it appears to be little Sophie's 'Soul Place' too

Yes - "Soul Place" - I know what you mean, Widow. You will recognise one, when you see it.

And I can recognise yours even only from a photo.

Touching and cute - it is also obvious from just a photo, that Sophie loves the place too. Great story!

Creaghorn, I remember those pics. They reminded me, that it might be time for us Europeans, to become a bit more modest again.

(But I guess, future economics will do that for us. Force us, I mean). Root pics - great stuff!

Thanks for the snow, Hasse Wind. I wasn't really missing it yet - spring is my favourite time of year - but I like your northern winter landscapes.

A few pics of what is around my garden ...

DSC_2671120212.jpg

DSC_2681120212.jpg

DSC_3404130512.jpg

DSC_3368130512.jpg

DSC_3376130512.jpg

DSC_3400130512.jpg

And that doesn't look at you thinking you're food.

Aha! You must have one too?

Aha! You must have one too?

Not a the moment. But yes I had several. My mother loved cats and we once had 10 cats living around us. It was... wild, to say the least.

When they were angry we knew always that they were angry... one had the nerve to jump to my bedside table and gentle wake up me at 8AM up with his pawns, if there wasn't anyone else in the house to give her food.

Corsaire, these garden close-up photos are brilliant, Sir! Did you really make them?

And could you (perhaps) add any little detail from your home?

Could be your flying- or your kitchen corner, your favourite arm chair, a balkony or garden bench -

just anything to give us an idea of your "castle".

Some lovely photo's...have to say, I have not seen many pictures of Croatia...looks lovely! (even Palm Trees) which was a surprise.

I wonder what animals left those tracks?

Olham, I confirm these are my pics, photography is my other hobby... you can see more at http://www.flickr.co...tos/corsaire31/ if you still have a doubt !

General view of the garden :

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0897.jpg

PS : it was one of the 2 or 3 days we had snow this winter ...

Edited by corsaire31