Olham

How the Fokker Eindecker Wing-warping works

That is a truly interesting video. Thanks for finding it for us!

Thanks for that, Olham.

I built a RC model aircraft once with working wing warping and found that it was much more efficient if I used wires to prevent the leading edge moving up and down because this effectively changes the incidence of the wing.

I belive the leading edge wires were fixed and only those going to the trailing edge moved.

All I can say is the guys that flew and fought in those things were brave/crazy men .

hats off to them .

cheers

Pilots and racing car drivers are not brave or crazy - they just lack the phantasy to imagine, what could all happen. :pilotfly::hyper:

I belive the leading edge wires were fixed and only those going to the trailing edge moved.

You're right, vB but in the last part of the above video it seems there is quite a bit of movement in the Le and, strangely, very little in the earlier parts of the vid. Maybe that's an viewing angle thing.

Well, technically the pivot point was the main spar so the leading edge would actually move in the opposite direction, which would give the appearance of changing the aoa at the wingtip. But the wing root would not change at all, leading or trailing edge.

And not to take anything away from the courage of these pilots, but don't forget that these planes were the apex of technology of their day. These were the same Type-A pesonalities who would volunteer for the F-22, the JSF, or even astronaut training today. The thrill of the experience will always outweigh the risks for those people.