Sign in to follow this  
kampfwolf

SF2V Expansion Pack performance problems

Hi guys, I've searched all the threads I can find, but I cannot seem to improve the FPS in this mod to acceptable limits. Any mission with lots of objects(Hanoi area mainly) cause horrible slow downs(5-10fps). I've dialed down almost all settings to low, used the low terrain, flak effects, no buffs, normal exhaust emitters, everything I could find. I also removed some of the ground objects to cut down in the mission, but it still is bad. My system can run SF2E and SF2NA with med-high settings without a big drop in FPS at all, so I'm lost as to the cause of this. Any ideas would be appreciated since the mod is absolutely amazing other than this issue. System specs below.Thanks

Intel Core Two Duo -3.0GHz

4GB DRR2

ATI Radeon HD4670 (1GB)

Win7 64-Bit

It happens to me as well over Hanoi area. Operation Rolling Thunder is barely playable for me and my spec are not bad. I think there is not much else you can do.The area around Hanoi/Haiphong is just to densely populated in my opinion. Same experience was in Wings over Vietnam.

I think you need to update your graphics card. I was using an AMD HD Radeon4770 2-3 years ago and it was barely adequate over Hanoi back then. Newegg had a good deal on 6870s recently (may still) which is what I'm using now and its doing OK, obviously, if you can afford it, go better.

You write expansion pack performance trouble. Is that meant to be stock expansion packs or the air & ground expansion pack Eburger & Malibu43 did?? WOV and SF2V have always been resource hogs even right out of the box. Add a bunch of HD mods on top and the added extra targets.

To be honest, I haven't tried any campaign missions over Hanoi in a while. But, I believe last time I did, I didn't have any issues with low fps with all graphics set to high/unlimited. My specs are in my sig below.

If I get a chance later, I'll see if I get the same results.

Hi guys, I've searched all the threads I can find, but I cannot seem to improve the FPS in this mod to acceptable limits. Any mission with lots of objects(Hanoi area mainly) cause horrible slow downs(5-10fps). I've dialed down almost all settings to low, used the low terrain, flak effects, no buffs, normal exhaust emitters, everything I could find. I also removed some of the ground objects to cut down in the mission, but it still is bad. My system can run SF2E and SF2NA with med-high settings without a big drop in FPS at all, so I'm lost as to the cause of this. Any ideas would be appreciated since the mod is absolutely amazing other than this issue. System specs below.Thanks

Intel Core Two Duo -3.0GHz

4GB DRR2

ATI Radeon HD4670 (1GB)

Win7 64-Bit

Are you running the latest drivers?

have you defragged your HD lately

can you put your AV and firewall programs into Game mode or switch them off

Stop any background programs also that might hog resource while you are playing.

I can run SF2V okay but have a higher spec system - not really helpful - but it will slow down a bit with many objects still in places

Intel i7

6GB DRR3

ATI Radeon HD5700 (1GB)

Win7 64-Bit

Thanks guys for all the replies. I was wondering what upgrade would make the most bang for the buck. I looked at the HD6770 card and can pick it up for a good deal. Also a possible is a RAM upgrade(my current setup isn't as fast as it should be on the, 667Mhz). I'll try upgrading the video drivers tonight, they might be a couple months out of date. Like I said, the game runs fine on vanilla SF2V and all the other versions, that's what puzzled me so, but I guess the Expansion(Gold version) just adds so much AAA and SAMs up North that it cripples my system. So the question is, what upgrade should I do to boost the performance the most? Thanks guys.

if upgrading the vid card to something better ... make sure the computer's power supply can handle it. Or it'll toast itself.

Things that folks sometimes forget!

The graphics card. Like Wrench said, make sure your power supply is sufficient (600 watts or so) but go for at least the 6870 over the 6770, (more stream processors, and, I'm pretty sure, more VRAM.) The rest of my system is pretty close to yours ( E8200 Core2 Duo @ 3.16GHz, 4GB DDR2, Vista HP x64 SvcPk2.)

Edited by SupGen

I think you need to update your graphics card. I was using an AMD HD Radeon4770 2-3 years ago and it was barely adequate over Hanoi back then. Newegg had a good deal on 6870s recently (may still) which is what I'm using now and its doing OK, obviously, if you can afford it, go better.

SupGen's suggestion worked for me. Got a new graphics card and things cleared up.

Yea I'm probably gonna go with a HD 6870. It's a bit more than I wanted to pay for, but my last card has lasted me almost 4 years, so it's time for a new one.

*Update

I actually took MigBuster's advice and updated the drivers and checked for background processes. I also did a bit of overclocking on the GPU(I have excellent cooling for the card and case). Those combined have gave me at least another 10fps over Hanoi. It maybe just a hair under 25fps(wherever your eye can tell there is a slowdown) in some places, but much better than it was.