Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Albatros Lozenge Fabric Research

The photo with the Lavender rib-tape had been posted here before - not sure about the whole link though.

It is a part of the Australian War Memorial website, about original Lozenge fabric parts, and the re-printed

Lozenge from Germany. Enjoy!

http://www.awm.gov.a...earch/#more-267

Edited by Olham

The photo with the Lavender rib-tape had been posted here before - not sure about the whole link though.

It is a part of the Australian War Memorial website, about original Lozenge fabric parts, and the re-printed

Lozenge from Germany. Enjoy!

http://www.awm.gov.a...earch/#more-267

You may find this an amazing fact but Andrew is my Brother-in-Law, I was there watching him remove some of the fabric off the wing.

I don't know any of the technical stuff so am unable to answer questions but it was an interesting day.

Cheers,

T&FO.

You may find this an amazing fact but Andrew is my Brother-in-Law, I was there watching him remove some of the fabric off the wing.

I don't know any of the technical stuff so am unable to answer questions ...

Wow, you lucky man! That must have been an exiting day - you witnessed a very rare occasion there!

There isn't too much to understand with Lozenge camo fabric.

I guess it was introduced because it saved the weight of all that green, brown or mauve paint you would otherwise apply on the wings.

Another reason is the way, Lozenge camo "splinters up" the object .

On a captured Albatros, a British photographer realised, how hard it was to get a black-and-white picture, that allows you recognise

the whole shape of a camouflaged wing.

The patterns are made up of polygons of 5 or 4 colours (different for upper- and undersurfaces).

They are applied on the fabric per screen printing.

The pattern is made so, that the next part you print fits in to the zaggies of the previous.

So you could make "endless" prints on the fabric, which was probably a roll of quite some length.

Very exciting, indeed. Can you give us some more details? I'm always curious about the other "non visual" information that you can get from a first hand experience such as yours. Like the sound of the nearly 100 year old fabric as it was moved or the smell of it. Was it musty or had it been well preserved along with the aircraft? Were you allowed to handle it (hopefully with gloves)?