Sign in to follow this  
33LIMA

FE2 lock up in Armchair Aces 1917

I'm getting intermittent lockups if I try to access the planning map before campaign missions (that is, before selecting 'Fly').

It SEEMS to affect my current Armchair Aces 1917 campaigns, but intermittently. At first it seemed to affect every 10 RNAS mission, but just now, I also got the same problem flying a Jasta 10 campaign in September 1917.

FE2 just freezes with the cursor over the 'Map' button, the instant I click it. I have to launch Task Manager to kill FE2 which shows as 'Not responding'.

I haven't done enough flying in different modes to narrow it down much, as to when it happens, and when it doesn't. I can only think that I must have incorrectly installed some component needed for Armchair Aces but cannot thing which one. I have afeeling the culprit might be my nations.ini as I remember doing something to it to get RNAS squadrons to show up as such; I have a suspicion it started about then.

I can access the map fine in flight.

Any ideas or suggestions as to where the problem might lie, would be most welcome! TIA!

Hello! I have noticed this bug a lot of time ago. I have a modded install since day one (I think I have not played FE2 without mods), so I don't know if it's a game bug or some mod bug....

I'm playing over Cambrai terrain and I have the bug, not only in 1917. It occurs in every campaign! It occurs even in stock campaigns and in the Bloody April Campaign with the Edward's Flanders map.

Vogesen and Verdun have less problems but I think They also stop the game sometimes...

I have no idea about the cause, but it's not a show-stopper for me. I just don't use the planing map in Cambrai map...

Nevertheless, I'm finishing Armchair Aces 1918 and I'm doing an update of older campaigns. There is an important bug in Belgian careers...

Hi Ojcar! Thanks for the feedback. I might have fixed it, but perhaps it is co-incidence...I deleted my existing British pilots and started a brand new Armchair Aces 1917 campaign with a brand new pilot, created just for that, in 8 Naval, and this time I got into the planning map! It did not do me much good tho, as my rudder was shot off during a series of battles during my patrol, first with DFWs, then with some V-strutters, then with Rumplers, then some more Albatroses, helped by some DH2s...there is plenty of variety and action in your campaigns! As a final gesteure on my way back over the lines I managed to chase a Hun off the tail of a friend and got away by diving, but on landing at the nearest airfield, my plane rolled over at the last minute abd blew up!

Even if it's not fixed, I can live with this; tho I like to use the planning map to drag my 'initial point' a bit further from my patrol objective, so that if I use 'Alt+N' I have plenty of time to check out the area before I get too close!

Looking forward to Armchair Aces 1918!!!

Edited by 33LIMA

I get the same "lock up" problem with my Austria-Italy install of FE2. Only with the Vogesen terrain. Everytime I try to look at the map to see the advancing troop movement it locks up. Never figured out what was causing it either. BTW I have some Naval 1, Naval 8, and Naval 10 Sopwith Triplanes on the way for you guys. All new paint, decals, Nation (RNAS/RAF) and "Formation.ini .

Looking forward to your Tripes, Quack! The A Team Tripehound is a great machine tho I'd prefer a slightly browner scheme (which I think you favour) as - in line with Arthur Gould Lee's 'our planes are choclate brown' description - I belong to the 'PC10 is brown not green!' school.

Hello Gents. I had this problem as well. Try this - Open the planningmap.ini in your Menu folder. At the bottom, in the MapData section, change max level to read this - MaxLevel=3