Just saw these screenshots posted on the Thirdwire facebook page. Looks like an adversary skin, a VX-4 skin, and an IIAF skin. Also interesting to note: it said Skin pack 1. It also said these were WIP, so two weeks I guess.

540558_10151827954140203_639254151_n.jpg

533426_10151827954225203_873697312_n.jpg

556122_10151827954420203_82008608_n.jpg

Edited by Viggen

looks like a new Userlist.ini is in the offing...

I wonder what the price for these skinpacks will be!?

I hope less than the DLC planes, afterall these are skins only!

So, that is why no templates was released? While I like the fact that the Tomcat gets more love, I can think of stuff I rather have TK work on.

IIRC TK has stopped releasing templates after WOE...not to mention that most DLC release so far were pretty much just new skins as well.

Earlier DLCs did have minor mesh alterations. Now we get skin edits. Next, I suppose, they'll offer pure ini DLC.

truth ...

and if folks want to make late/post-1980s skins, templates are STILL needed for the lo-viz ! (like some kind soul did for the CorsairII and Intruders)

Edited by Wrench

Oh Skins....

I won´t get DLC skins.

I can better do my own skins. :cool:

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

we need new features not SKINS

Edited by Teras
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

These look pretty good. I hope he doesn't tackle any mid-80's or later low-vis stuff without introducing an F-14 model with the correct chin pod first.

While I bought all the other DLCs (except mission ed that I got with the expansion), I won't bother with this.

I will admit I've never DL'd a skin pack for any plane, stock or 3rd party. Whatever they come with has always been fine by me. Maybe it comes from years of flying other sims where you had only 1 or 2 choices anyway, so I've always concentrated more on the plane than the skins it has (or doesn't have).

But hey, if TK can make some money off something simple, fine by me. I just don't want to see this cause any MORE delays in new planes.

the skin for the persian cats looks promising–however, I also think that TK should focus more on substancial improvements and fix still broken/missing features (e.g., there are still no working stall warning and autopilot lights, the master arm switch animation is broken/way off and most of all: how hard can it be to replace those ugly F-15 seats in the cat??)

Okay folks, lets do some thinking here...some serious "running a business" thinking.

TK's sims have had DLCs for several months now...enough time for a business to evaluate the cost effectiveness ratio. For those not sure what I'm talking about, it's the cost of making the DLCs vs the revenue generated selling the DLCs.

Guess what...TK is still doing DLCs.

What does that tell you?

It tells you that the DLCs must be bringing in the cash at an effective ratio. Which means there are enough people buying them for TK to at least break even.

Does everyone understand exactly what this means? It means that the amount of casual users (folks who want nothing or little to do with mods, or skinning, or templating, or the ini dance) far outstrips the amount of users who don't mind diving into that stuff and worry about things like the proper ejection seats.

You go where the money is...in this case, the money is in DLCs. Which means things like new features are on the back burner...or are actually being funded by the revenue from the DLCs.

I see the EXACT same concerns in the model rocketry world. Why are the rocket shelves filled with RTF (Ready To Fly) or E2X (Almost ready to fly) models verses magnificent 'builders' models like the Saturn V (which was recently discontinued). The hard answer...those are what generate the revenue.

FC

• Like 1

Okay folks, lets do some thinking here...some serious "running a business" thinking.

TK's sims have had DLCs for several months now...enough time for a business to evaluate the cost effectiveness ratio. For those not sure what I'm talking about, it's the cost of making the DLCs vs the revenue generated selling the DLCs.

What does that tell you?

It tells you that the DLCs must be bringing in the cash at an effective ratio. Which means there are enough people buying them for TK to at least break even.

Does everyone understand exactly what this means? It means that the amount of casual users (folks who want nothing or little to do with mods, or skinning, or templating, or the ini dance) far outstrips the amount of users who don't mind diving into that stuff and worry about things like the proper ejection seats.

You go where the money is...in this case, the money is in DLCs. Which means things like new features are on the back burner...or are actually being funded by the revenue from the DLCs.

I see the EXACT same concerns in the model rocketry world. Why are the rocket shelves filled with RTF (Ready To Fly) or E2X (Almost ready to fly) models verses magnificent 'builders' models like the Saturn V (which was recently discontinued). The hard answer...those are what generate the revenue.

FC

Totally agrees. Besides I think DLC appeals to those who not is comfortable in any modding at all. A stock alternative to what the modders do.

I'm going to get them. They look great and there is no such thing of too much Tomcat stuff.

• Like 1

so, no need to proceed on these, then?? (although, I need the stencling....) The thing has 7 maps, not including the drop tank (ok, call it 8)

Edited by Wrench

I thought he might do the Iranian Tomcat as a full aircraft DLC rather than just the skin.

But then I suppose people may have just bought that instead of SF2:NA.

so, no need to proceed on these, then?? (although, I need the stencling....) The thing has 7 maps, not including the drop tank (ok, call it 8)

what res? 2048x?

Falcon

why not proceed kev,not everyone will get the dlc,and no template if its included in said dlc.

Edited by russouk2004

yup, 2048 base. easiest size to work with (cause 4096 is just nuts!!! -even with jpg textures!)

in truth, it's kinda sad we don't have stock templates anymore, but ... it gives me something to do inbetween terrain work (albit going crosseyes with rivets..)

Edited by Wrench

One! One wonderful rivet, ha ha ha!

Two! Two wonderful rivets, ha ha ha!

AIMVAL/ACEVAL skin ??? .. I.... HOPE ... Skinpack 4626 .... :ninja:

Edited by Crusader

What does that tell you?

FC

+1

Please finish it Kevin! :good::cool: