Sign in to follow this  
allenjb42

Scenario/campaign idea - Debt of Honour

Imagine a Tom Clancy novel where the plot revolves around a us carrier battle group attempting to retake a strategic island from an invasion force that arrived covertly aboard civilian vessels. US military personnel are trapped on the island by the invading force and report back to intel experts by satellite phone to give them vital info on enemy force dispositions.

No this isn't Iceland and Mike Edwards and his band of rag tag marines but part of the plot of Debt of Honor where a resurgent Japan captures Saipan forcing a US military response. Like RSR us stealth aircraft save the day in many sequences including Comanche stealth helicopters taking out 767 AWACS (Operation Dreamland anyone?) and F-22s taking on F-15Js.

The action in the book takes place off Saipan and also over the Japanese Home Islands. I'm not sure if we have a Japan map yet but I'm pretty sure Wrench did a WW2 pacific map that included Saipan - it will need to be modernised and converted to SF2:NA standard.

Other than that we probably have most of the other players available for some modern PAW action - Japanese F-15s & F-2s, WBS's Japanese ships, F-22 & F-15E, B-1 & B-2 bombers, and the various navy birds from the carrier air wings involved (which I think was Stennis & Enterprise, I'll have to pull out my copy of the book to check).

Any thoughts guys?

"Marianas Islands", somewhere in the 1stGEn Terrains d/ls

covers Saipan, Guam, Tinian and a few other bits of Dry Land. (hint: waterworld is the same map, so the _water.bmp should work for it)

Edited by Wrench

The main problem is that Dept of Honours war was supposed to be low-intensive. It was pretty much only ships and aircraft firing on eachother.

Without Ground Forces, declaring a Victor is rather difficult, even tough I do like the idea.

Well, you could declare a Victor if the other side is all sunk and scattered in the sea, but how to represent this ingame is a different thing

The Campaign Engine would handle that with as many Recon Flights as you could do without puking.

Maybe have a us base on Guam that wasn't captured by the Japanese as a starting point? It might be that it could only be done as single missions rather than a campaign.

Putting Japan as a enemy is really really unlikely.

Debt of Hounor was a good book in english. I got the german translation first and the guys who translated it were absolute fooooooooooooools with no technical knowledge.

The plot is profoundly retarded, though. Still an entertaining read.

The plot is profoundly retarded, though.

Most plots are. It all lies in the execution.