Florian

Interesting guests

Some over here might know, i´m working at Hahn airport in germany (HHN/EDFH) with the snow and ice control.

Today we had some very nice guests at our GAT ramp! :good:

Messerschmitt ME-109

post-2314-0-81173600-1340122252.jpg

Other view

post-2314-0-63443200-1340122409.jpg

Messerschmitt ME-262

post-2314-0-40501100-1340122471.jpg

Other view

post-2314-0-02742300-1340122548.jpg

Me in front of the "109", behind a Do-27, that took air to air pictures from both Messerschmitts

post-2314-0-51532200-1340122600.jpg

Believe me, even more impressive then to see those nice birds, was the sound. Especially the "109" pilot moved slowly to the AvGas station and stopped just to hit full throttle! :good:

• Like 3

Is... that.... Two-Six-Two.... flying?

If I where you, I would have begged on my knees to sit in the cockpit :D

Edited by JonathanRL

Are they replicas ... or real ones quite late?

:grin:

Are they replicas ... or real ones quite late?

The "109" is a spanish license built Bf-109 (Hispano HA-1112 M-1L Buchón) from 1950. While getting restored an original Daimler-Benz DB605 engine got installed.

The "262" is a pure replica, as the only 10 known surviving airframes are not in flyable condition.

• Like 1

Didnt think there were any 109's still flying with DB engines :good:

As for the 262 theres a guy in America started buidling replicas abut 10 years back, last I heard he was turning his hands to He-162's.

Craig

So is that supposed to be comparable to a 109F? I'm not up on which models the Spanish built post-War.

Ooooof, I love the Schwalbe!

They are great !!! The ME 262 has non afterburning J 85's.... (they were among others used for the Hansajet)

Edited by Derk

So is that supposed to be comparable to a 109F? I'm not up on which models the Spanish built post-War.

Not sure on what it was when built, but as it got refitted by EADS they made a G-4 version out of it.

Nope, it's a Gustav I'd say close to G10, don't know which DB605 is in there but it has streamlined bulges on the nose judging by the pics, it also seems to have wing bulges indicating a G airframe but I can't really say without the detailed look this might also be closest you can see to G-2, I forgot what airframe was Buchon based on :unsure:

109F had DB601 btw :wink:

Niiiiiiiice catch Florian :clapping: BTW Have you guys noticed how much alike the shape of the ME 262 is of another predator??

Thanks for the answer Florian.

The Buchon should be based on a G2 frame.

Spanish built Me-109s were all Gustavs, but if it was the post ww2 version, powered by a Merlin engine, it was fitted with Hispano Suiza 20mm cannons placed a la Spitfire instead of the "prop thru" machine guns and cannon, and racks for Oerlikon rockets, plus a system to compensate the torque.

Edited by macelena

nice pics Florian. and i thought it was cool in April seeing an Il-76 on a former USAFE base. but nooooo, you get the Luftwaffe heritage flight! j/k :grin:

Just got Me-rgasm :drinks:

thanks Florian!:good:

Nice grabs. Two Messerschmitt aircraft at the same time is awesome.

I got to see Red 7 fly back in 2004 during my last summer in Germany. The sound was unreal.

Glad you got the chance to check them out. How did the Shwalbe sound?

Jeff

• Like 1

Didnt think there were any 109's still flying with DB engines :good:

As for the 262 theres a guy in America started buidling replicas abut 10 years back, last I heard he was turning his hands to He-162's.

Craig

Those aren't replicas, they are accurate builds

They use are refabricating new parts using Nazi plans and only change the electronics and engines. The cockpit stays mostly the same. They are, except for the J-85s (T-38s, F-5s) Me-262s!

My understanding is that they built them from the ground up using new metal from old plans. Which make them replicas as per the definition.

However, if they were built from new old stock (ie a bunch of old stock was lying around that had never been used) then you could say they are original builds.

Frankly, it's a matter of semantics...because even though these are replicas, they have been assigned new serial numbers by the Messerschmitt Foundation in Germany...which technically makes them part of the production run (just with a 50 year break)...

FC

Thanks for posting the pics! Sehr gut! :good:

That 109 looks awesome. What I'd give to be rich enough to own a 109.

• Like 1

I guess when I think of a replica I think of the Zeros from Tora Tora Tora.

This is so many steps high.

I think I reached common agreement with you Fast.