Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Strange doin's in QC...

About a week ago, I tried a bit of Quick Combat. I chose my country, my plane(s), my opponents, et al, and clicked "Go to the Field". It brought up an error message (which I can't quote today) but it was serious and ended with "Re-install OFF". So I did, and re-installed Hat In The Ring. At first things seemed OK except I had no tracer and ran out of ammo even though I had 'Unlimited Ammo' checked in the Workshop. Both of these seem to have corrected themselves, but, day before yesterday, I got too low, brushed a wingtip, and died. OFF immediately told me that my currently active pilot is now dead and will be removed from the rolls. That has never happened before. Today, QC simply won't let me in. When I click Quick Combat, OFF thinks for a minute and then gives me the following message saying that "Aircraft Se5a_QC1 not available yet, therefore you cannot continue with this squadron..." What's with that? I had to buy a new Hat In The Ring for the re-install. Has it been modified since my initial purchase?

Capture.JPG

Edited by Hauksbee

Hauksbee, Were you flying with any Mods installed? Or were you flying stock OFF:HitR? Could be a simple typo in the SE5a_QC1 files from one of the installed Mods.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

That very same issue happened to me a few weeks ago - out of the wild blue. No matter what I did to that installation (resetting files, etc) would correct it.

In the end, I had to do a complete uninstall/reinstall for everything, from CFS3 to HiTR - actually 2 times. All has been working fine since.

I never did any mods or changes, as many have, so I couldn't blame that possibility.

Never did figure out what happened...........

Hauksbee, Were you flying with any Mods installed? Or were you flying stock OFF:HitR? Could be a simple typo in the SE5a_QC1 files from one of the installed Mods.

Nope. No mods. And now AROTH reports the same. I did not un-install OFF, just wrote over it. Could that be an issue?

Hauksbee, take a look in your "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\aircraft\ folder". You should see a Se5a_QC1 folder there. Your problem likely lies somewhere in that folder. Have any of the files inside been changed recently?

Hauksbee

- did you make sure during your re-install proceedure, that you did all the patching, and in the right order?

- do you use any mods? If so, did you deactivate them and try it then?

Guys, I repeat it: it is most often NOT NECESSARY to cure a problem with OFF by making a complete de- and re-install.

That's what these WORKSHOP buttons are made for:

"Reset OFF Manager" and "Reset CFS3"

They have put everything back to working order for me several times.

The only backdraw is, that you lose your campaign pilots that way.

But that would also happen in a reinstall.

Hauksbee, take a look in your "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields\aircraft\ folder". You should see a Se5a_QC1 folder there. Your problem likely lies somewhere in that folder. Have any of the files inside been changed recently?

Olham: I have no patches installed. Just got back from checking the OFF Website. At the moment, they're saying that all we need is OFF and HITR. I see no patches offered for download. Aha! Just did the 'Reset OFF Manager' and 'Reset CFS3'. I had remembered them as being down at the bottom of Workshops where CFS3-QC is. 'Took a bit to find them. But that seems to have done the trick.

Hauksbee, I hope that it worked for you.

Whenever you have the impression that something with pilot files or campaign files is corrupted, try first only "Reset OFF Manager".

Only if the problem lies deeper, you should also "Reset CFS3".

This resetting may cause some of your personal settings and adjustments to be set back to standard/default.

Best you check them all.

Hauksbee there's no issue with HITR. We have seen no reports in years of things like this being completely common. Just the occassional issue which are 99% of the time down to PCs themselves are a million times less reliable than OFF so I'd blame the PC first. Corrupt files on hard drive, issues/clashes other programs whatever.

The millions of PCs out there run a huge amount of random settings and software and hardware so is not surprising.

2 people saying they had similar things happen doesn't make 1000s of installs wrong so stay calm and carry on ;)

When the manager says "re-install OFF" it's a recommended suggestion for a solution if you do not have personal support on hand it will work. It WILL solve most issues :)

However a good CLEAN installation of OFF removing all of it, as in the FAQ, then reinstalling carefully as the FAQ spells out in well known clear steps

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm Click on Installation and Settings

http://www.overflandersfields.com/FAQ.htm#Installation_and_settings

From time to time CFS3 can break or lose the pilot or settings, not usually OFF. That is why there are options in Workshop as Olham kindly correctly points out "Reset OFF" and if that doesn't work "Reset CFS3" which is lower level and a deeper reset of files.

Not sure why you think you do not need patches for BH&H or HITR, if you ever need to reinstll you should inatall all of it, not just overlay HITR on the top - although sure that MAY work sometimes if you then patch it. One ALWAYS needs to patch BH&H and then install HITR and then install any HITR patches whne doing a proper clean install.

See FAQ link.

If you get that error again sometime, do as Olham suggests, or create a new pilot and try etc.

For anyone with any mods installed and we can't help though and a re-install may be the only solution.

That message means that some files in the SE5a model folders are not correct, or the program's ability to read them is being blocked or altered.

A good start is to check your hard disks for any file errors (Scandisk, chkdisk etc).

Edited by Polovski

Not sure why you think you do not need patches for BH&H or HITR....

I went to the OFF Website looking for patches (it's been a long time since I was there) and couldn't find any downloads. Reading closer, the text kept saying, "All you need is CFS3, OFF and HITR". I guess I gave up too early. In any event, re-setting OFF seems to have cured the problem just fine.

Hauksbee said

I went to the OFF Website looking for patches (it's been a long time since I was there) and couldn't find any downloads. Reading closer, the text kept saying, "All you need is CFS3, OFF and HITR".

Hauksbee, There are patches (read that Mods) that are 3rd-Party creations, beyond the realm of Officially Sanctioned OFF patch releases, currently at version 'OFF:HitR_V1.47', Or fondly know to all of us as P3. You will not find Mods on OBDSoftware's Website. 3rd-Party Mods will be published in both SimHQ and CA downloads sections.

The OBDSoftware Sanctioned Patches are: After installing MS Combat Flight Simulater V3.0, there is a Microsoft CFS3 patch to get to CFS3 version 3.1. After installing OFF there is a SuperPatch to get to OFF version 1.32. followed by a MiniPatch to OFF version 1.32g. After installing Hat in the Ring Mod onto OFF, there is the HitR version 1.47 Update to install.

In addition to the above, several industrious community members have studied the code 'behind the curtain' and have published "improvements" to the product that the Devs had initially provided to us. CFS3, on which OFF is built, is unique in that the XML code running the game can easily be read and edited when one knows how and what changes need to be made. Mods have been built for new and improved sounds, new flight models, new damage models, new missions, new weather, new weapons, new aircraft and skins, etc, etc, etc.

Of course, we as individuals, have our own ideas how, for example, a Fokker Dr1 should fly, right? But if someone released an "improved" FM, someone else in the community is going to cry, "The Dr1 is Porked!!!". That was the way it was in Red Baron. OBD has given us a pretty well balanced simulation of the Great War in the Air. But in the opinion of some, that simulation can and will be improved.

Until WOFF is released, in two weeks, correct? Many of us with continue to Tweak the product. To make it perfect...

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

In any event, re-setting OFF seems to have cured the problem just fine.

Maybe only for some time. If you didn't patch your installs, the sim won't work very long.

Please do yourself the favour and read my previous post, and follow the link.

There you find how to install OFF and HitR.

Maybe only for some time. If you didn't patch your installs, the sim won't work very long.

Please do yourself the favour and read my previous post, and follow the link.

There you find how to install OFF and HitR.

Will do.

....and please check our PM - it contains important stuff.

Edited by Olham

That "All you need" part on the front page is hardly an in depth install guide ;) it is a generic overview for a new user walking in off the street and having no idea what OFF is. basically "hello new user, here's a rough idea of the basics you need to buy".

You know the score OFF has always had patches to install.

Simple click on DOWNLOADS button top of the page, or see the FAQ right near the top as I say.

If you do not patch you will have problems. If you reinstall HITR over the top at the very lest you need its patch.

Probably best to nuke and start over if you still have issues, if reset OFF and reset CFS3 don't work.

Edited by Polovski