Olham

Have you ever seen a Train?

We should have proceeded to an airfield defense at Lagnicourt, but then I saw the train passing nearby.

I have rarely ever seen them, cause usually you have other things to do and don't look out for them.

But today I couldn't resist, and took the risk to get a slating from the CO. Here are my pictures:

Olham:

Thank you. I have never seen a train in the game, so I was wondering what it looked like.

A question, do you run your Terrain setting at "2" or "3" ???

I run "Terrain" at "3" - looks great from the air, and saves performance. What do you use?

Funny sort of train, has the normal German wind deflectors but I don't think any country ever made a 4-6-0. I think they forgot the back bogie wheels. I did see a train once in OFF going across the airfield but that was a bug and they fixed it. Pity, it made taking off quite fun :grin:

The train in the picture also seems to be missing its tender for coal and water etc. And the second carriage doesn't seem to be joined in any way to the first. What is German for an 'anorak' :blink:

Edited by JimAttrill

I dug up an old Custom Mission written by PilotsDen called "Train Busters". It has three, count them, three fully loaded trains chugging along the Rhine River. The goal is to blowup the trains with a flight of Camels. With Leprieur rockets and MG fire? Easy, right? Against waves of Dr1's. Oh My!

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Funny sort of train, has the normal German wind deflectors but I don't think any country ever made a 4-6-0. I think they forgot the back bogie wheels.

I did see a train once in OFF going across the airfield but that was a bug and they fixed it. Pity, it made taking off quite fun

The train in the picture also seems to be missing its tender for coal and water etc.

And the second carriage doesn't seem to be joined in any way to the first.

Hey, Jim, it's nice to see you here again, but please don't come back only to criticise.

I mean, if the devs put lots of hours more into train building, these hours would be missing for the planes.

And hardly anyone ever sees a train from so close on, right?

What is German for an 'anorak' :blink:

Anorak.

Edited by Olham

Olham:

I use a "3" also. The "4" setting causes black or white squares in my game and a "2" does not have a much detail as a "3".

Yes, 3 is a good setting for Terrain.

I used to see trains all the time during the DiD Campaign whilst stationed near the coast with RNAS-1 and RNAS-2

Were you near St.Omer? Might have been British supply trains?

I think originally it was at St-Pol-Sur-Mer, to the NNE of St. Omer - the train track ran west to east along the coast and there was usually a train going past at the start of every third or so sortie - you could hear it chugging along as you were sat in your Sopwith Strutter waiting to take off.

It might just have been that they were more obvious because they were going right past the Aerodrome while we were still on the ground.

I think they are really more busy along supply tracks.

Mine was near Douai, where there was a big German railway junction.

Hey, I get it. Use of the railroads was first introduced in the American Civil War. But in WW1, entire Western Front battles were fought 'by rail'.

I read somewhere that that was the actual reason why MVR's Jagdgeschwader 1 (JG 1) got called the 'Flying Circus'. The "Big Tops" of the day like Barnum and Bailey and Cole Brothers moved their circus via railroad. The Germans also moved whole Jastas around to active fronts via the trains as well. Thus the name 'Flying Circus'. I orginally thought it was because the German Aces painted up their kites in gaudy colors like 'Clown Faces'. Olham, with your knowledge of Google Earth, aren't each and every one of the German Aerodromes at railroad lines?

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Hehehe - well, it was already a well-known "secret", Mike. Here is an excerpt of a British map

showing fortification trenches and German additional rail tracks south of Douai.

When Max Immelmann arrived at the front with an all new installed Fliegerabteilung in 1915,

they had to wait for hours at Douai, cause all platforms and ramps there were occupied.

Olham told me long ago, there's a train in O-F-F.

I know, it's been rollin' for some time.

When you spot it, so he says, make sure your settings are hi rez.

I know, and anti-aliasing at 16x.

I wanna' know, have you ever seen a train?

I wanna' know, have you ever seen a train,

when you're flyin' OFF on a sunny day?

In O-F-F-B-H-a-H, the mud is cold and ground is hard.

I know, been that way for all our time.

'Til forever on it goes through the dogfights fast and slow,

I know, and it can't stop, I wonder.

I wanna know, have you ever seen a train?

I wanna know, have you ever seen a train,

when you're flyin' OFF on a sunny day?

:grin:

(apologies to CCR fans everywhere, but I .. I couldn't help myself)

Good one, Lou, and you hit the nail - I made the title of this thread after that song, and first even thought

to add a video of the good old CCR playing and singing that song. Then I found it was too far off-track.

Now I was searching for one, but as usual - nothing in German YouTube.

Well, I get the same links as you in the USA, Lou - but here is what I see, when I click yours:

It says, that they are sorry, but the GEMA didn't give YouTube any Copyrights.

I totally understand that, cause it is the correct way to deal with the artists rights.

But it seems to me, that Germany is the only place in the world, that cares?

Edited by Olham

Yuppers, I am familiar with your plight there in Germany when it comes to YouTube. However, on the up side Olham, you did advance in the soccer finals. :banned:

Yes, the German team is both, still quite young, and also quite experienced already.

I would have wished for the Greek people though, that they had met a different opponent;

that it hadn't just been the Germans who kicked them out. They played with a lot of real

good enthusiasm, and they didn't give up and fought hard until the end.

But the German team had also played very good and it sure was a deserved victory.

Next match will be against England or Italy. Both quite strong opponents - that match

will be hard to make a tip for. Especially Italy is Germany's nemesis.

I had a nemesis once, but the doctor gave me an unguent that cleared it right up.

I had a nemesis once, but the doctor gave me an unguent that cleared it right up.

Mmuahahahaaaaa!!! I'll tell the German team, Lou!

The number of the doctor, please! The man is worth his weight in gold!!

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, (pronounced 'Fronkensteen').

Olham, an 'anorak' in English usage comes from the train spotters who used to wear them. Nowadays it means someone who knows everything about a certain subject down to the last detail and tells you all about it. I was (Ahem) being ironic. :cool: