Slartibartfast

Turkish F-4 down on the Border with Syria....

Of course. Your point?

GTK, point being that its unrealistic if not worse to think that if all those countires in the ME got **** themselves in all out war that somehow Europe and the USA would not get involved.

In late 2011, an IAF Cheetah helicopter

It was a tin can Cheetah, Ghost and not a fast jet. How much of a bet do you want that the PAF would have relished the oppurtunity to bring down a fast jet especially if there a chance that it might be a MKI. A slow moving target like the Cheetah allows for more time to react reasonably than a jet does. Now I'm not privy to how AA units work and their procedures so its just my 0.02 cents.

Edited by Atreides

GTK, point being that its unrealistic if not worse to think that if all those countires in the ME got **** themselves in all out war that somehow Europe and the USA would not get involved.

I agree, islamists are on the rise all across the ME. WW3 is unavoidable at this point. We can stay out of it until we can't.

WW3 ??? Run...Get to da Choppa !

BBC are saying the Syrians shot at one of the SAR aircraft too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18586645

BTW if the Phantom was an RF-4E, do we know if the Turks are providing intel to the Syrian rebels?

http://www.albawaba.com/editorchoice/syria-fsa-assad-430951

The Guardian also claims that Turkey has allowed the establishment of a command center in Istanbul co-coordinating the supply of weapons to the rebel fighters in Syria, staffed by more than 20 mainly Syrian nationals.

missinterpretation by the journalists. The syrians locked on SAM Radar on the plane, but dont open the fire. A lock on can also seen as an hostile action.

Edited by Gepard

missinterpretation by the journalists. The syrians locked on SAM Radar on the plane, but dont open the fire. A lock on can also seen as an hostile action.

i guess you mean they didn´t shoot at the SAR aircraft. The Phantom is older than dirt, but won´t go down for being locked on radar grin.gif

Topics merged...so you might see some unusual responses in the thread.

Carry on...

FC

• Like 3

Topics merged...so you might see some unusual responses in the thread.

Carry on...

FC

Thanks for the note FC...

And THAT'S why I always turn on the ignition AFTER setting the mirrors.

Wait, what?

• Like 2

i guess you mean they didn´t shoot at the SAR aircraft. The Phantom is older than dirt, but won´t go down for being locked on radar grin.gif

Yes, i mean the SAR bird indeed.

Of course the RF-4 was downed by a SAM and i think it was a modern SAM system, perhaps the S-300, which is very comparable with the american Patriot.

And THAT'S why I always turn on the ignition AFTER setting the mirrors.

Wait, what?

:laugh:

As revolting as Assad and his goons might be, the fact is that the aircraft violated sovereign airspace and was shot down. It was a military aircrat that was shot down not a civilian one. Which country would allow another countries aircraft to fly into its airspace without an intercept or SAM batteries locking on ? What were the Syrians supposed to do ask nicely ? BS, Turkey got caught being naughty and the jet was shot down. ANy other nation would have done something similar.

Not strictly true!....If the RAF had shot down the Bears who flew constantly into our airspace...the Cold War would have been REAL hot! :good:

Hope the pilots survived.If Syrian forces did bring down the plane,then it's a real foolish decision from their side as they may have made a new powerful enemy.

fly 40 meters hight at high speed inside your waters is a foolish decision? as far i am concearned turkey is the agressor.

• Like 1

My interpretation of the facts are: NATO can't bring Assad down via UN security councill , the legit way.

so, the west is trying to bring him down at any costs with these agressions.

• Dislike 2

Isn't all of this conjecture based on news reports (always known for their accuracy) fun? I do see some other issues creeping in and am sorry that this forum has been chosen to vent said issues. Come on, guys, this is a combat simulator forum and you all should know that getting political with the world-wide attendees here will very soon get ugly. I agree with our monitors that we should stick to observations about the facts of the incident.

We should all think about two young Turkish aviators that appear to have been lost. I hope I am wrong, but if they are alive, where are they?

• Like 1

"Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth." - JMS

That is exactly what we are seeing here. None of us have any real idea as to what exactly happened, and exactly who ordered what and what were the motivations behind it.

So, throttle it back and keep the political speculations to a minimum.

FC

Point taken. Still no news about the pilots though. All you see/hear on the news is sabre rattling. One would hope that atleast something would have been mentioned as to their fate.

Bah, politics and politicians.

Edited by Atreides

It was said that these little jaunts into the airspace was common place between the two countries. Now Syria decided to act? Turkey the aggressor? Not hardly. Someone got trigger happy because of the NATO incursion in Libya and decided to act. I mean seriously, this was routine not some recce mission. Syria messed up and Turkey isnt going to roll and let it slide.

The only way to resolve this is by both sides to quietly and quickly.....

9170776.jpg

Edited by Atreides
  • Like 2

an update on the matter

http://news.yahoo.com/helmets-found-no-pilots-mystery-deepens-plane-crash-182711096.html

and Dave, in my experience with Turks, no they will not let any slight go. not trying to be mean or anything, just sayin don't go into a Doner shop and order a gyro!

Edited by daddyairplanes

as far i am concearned turkey is the agressor.

Yep, that evil recce bird is slaughtering thousands of innocent syrian civilians and...wait, i said nothing

One think its hard for me to understand is. How otherwise freedom loving people are talking in favor of a Mideastern despot who doesn't care a living s**t about his own people and only have one goal in life. To remain in power regardless of how many of his own people he need to sacrifice in the process :blink:

a Mideastern despot who doesn't care a living s**t about his own people and only have one goal in life. To remain in power regardless of how many of his own people he need to sacrifice in the process :blink:

I take it "Mideastern" is supposed to be the main negative word here, 'cause otherwise he's no different from the others.