Sign in to follow this  
DARoot

Newb Questions to Wrench -PTO Solomons_V3

Greetings, Wrench

(or, "The Wrench" .. not sure..)

A few short questions about your "Solomons v3" PTO mod for SFP1.

[The "questions" themselves are short -- the "Preamble" may, unfortunately, appear a bit lengthy ...]

Also, since a recent post elsewhere on these Forums indicates I cannot send/receive

PMs until I have accumulated 50 Posts, I'm afraid this has to be sent on the Open Forums... I apologize if that offends someone's sensibilities, but perhaps your answers (since you are still Active here) will help other "Casual Readers" ...

PREAMBLE

-- I recently "came back" to SFP1/WOV after a lengthy absence, and have FORGOTTEN most of what I once knew about modding this sim. {I've actually been a Member of CombatAce since 2005]. I'm trying to re-learn ....

-- I decided that the WW2 PTO would be interesting, so I downloaded/installed your "Solomons_V3" mod (dated 08/20/2009) available here on CombatAce.

-- Reading your ReadMe thoroughly (well-written and MOSTLY complete, BTW -- Thanks!)

I proceeded to search for/download all the "extra" ships, aircraft, Ground Objects, "Formation" and "Nations" and "XXX".ini files called for (but not supplied).

-- After about 100+ MB of additional downloaded items [many of which I will no doubt end up using eventually, anyway -- and remember, CombatAce and A-Team limit one's daily download activity, don't ya know? -- Yes, I am registered at Capun's site], and after searching the Knowledge Base, and looking for any other remotely related Post Topics elsewhere on these (and ThirdWire's) Forums, I still have a few questions.

So, I decided to --

"..Go right to the source,

And ask the Horse (Wrench).

He'll give you the answer that you endorse.

He's always on a steady course,

Talk to Mr. Ed (Wrench)."

QUESTIONS

-- So, to help me (and perhaps, other Casual Readers of this thread, who may also be effectively "Newbies" at modding SFP1, but interested in using your mod as you

intended), perhaps you could address the following --

a) Your "Solomons-V3_Types.ini" contains the following entry --

[TargetType124]

Name=Enterprise6

FullName=Enterprise Class CV

ModelName=Enterprise6.LOD

TargetType=WARSHIP

ActiveYear=0

TargetValue=10000

--> UseGroundObject=FALSE

"Enterprise6" is supplied within it's own Folder, within \GroundObjects, rather than as

"loose" files within either \Groundobjects or \Objects (or the "\Solomons-V3" folder itself). As I understand it, "UseGroundObject=TRUE" is used when an Object has it's own subfolder within \Objects (or \GroundObjects) [cf., "Benham," "Brooklyn," etc.], and "UseGroundObject=FALSE" is used for "loose" files.

Please clarify what you INTENDED to do with this, and what an End-User should do to "make it work" as intended.

b) Your "Solomons-V3_Types.ini" contains the following entry --

[TargetType150]

Name=PTBoat

FullName=PT Boat

ModelName=Torpedoboot.LOD

TargetType=WARSHIP

ActiveYear=0

DamagePoint=100

ArmorValue=0

ArmorType=0

TargetValue=100

-->UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=PTBoat

As near as I can tell, there is NO \Objects\GroundObjects folder or .lod for "PTBoat."

There IS a "loose" .lod for "Torpedoboot.LOD" as well as 3 .bmp textures (Torpedobo1,

Torpedo2,Torped3) in the \Solomons-V3 folder, but NO corresponding xxini or

xxdata.ini for this .lod. [And, yes, I've checked the "Desert.CAT" and

"VietnamSEA.CAT" archives, as well as the "ObjectData.CAT" for both

"SFP1"(v8.30.6.9) and "WOV" (v8.9.0.15) with no luck -- it just ain't there...]

Please clarify what you INTENDED to do with this, and what an End-User should do to

"make it work" as intended.

[This "Target Type" is used extensively in your ""Solomons-V3_Tatgets.ini," so the

correct answer to this question is somewhat critical]

c) Your "Solomons-V3.Targets.ini" contains the following entries --

-- Under [TargetArea038]

Name=Shortland Island Seaplane Base

--> Target[030].Type=af45radioant

--> Target[031].Type=IJA_AAA

--> Target[0324].Type=fueltank3

--> Target[032].Offset=-823,758

--> Target[032].Heading=0

--> Target[032].Type=CamonetStorage

This makes absolutely no sense. WHAT did you intend, and how should an End-User

edit this to make it work as you intended?

d) Your ReadMe States, "..I've not included the 2 MG gunners, due to permission

issues; these are modded from the Dev A-Team's First Eagles units.

They are available in the New Guiena (sic) and Okinawa upgrades.."

I understand the "permissions" restraints you are under.

However, this statement is (somewhat) misleading, for us "Newbies" who have NOT

been following the progress of the various PTO upgades since 2007 or so.

I happen to HAVE the A-Team FE AAA Gunners, so the "BrowningAAA" was no

problem for me. However, the "IJA_AAA" remained elusive (NO instructions were

provided to convert any existing A-Team WWI AAA gunners), and the needed files were NOT included in your latest "Okinawa_V3" download on CombatAce.

I FINALLY located the needed files in your "New_Guinea2_upgrade" mod (on, like,

page 22 of the CombatAce WW2 Terrain downloads page -- Word of Warning for other

PTO Newbies ...). A bit more "specificity" to help guide us Newbies along might be in

order ....

e) [This next is probably NOT from one of your ReadMe's, but you probably know the

answer anyway...] Somebody warned us about "objects listed in "Targets.ini" and

"Types.ini" in this mod may still follow the old, pre- [fill in the date] conventions of

SFP1, before separate "\GroundObject" folders were used. Consult the CombatAce

Knowledge Base for information on how to convert them to the more modern format."

Well, this disturbs me, since I do not understand it, and ONLY want my current mod to

just, plain, "WORK," y'know?

So, since you are no doubt knowledgeable about this issue, could you please provide a

short tutorial (geared to the absolute dumbest Newb) about what might be needed to

make YOUR "Solomons_V3" mod work TODAY (June 2012)??? Pretty Please?

f) Your ReadMe states, "Note: There are several new terrain objects still in the works;

they just aren't ready yet. So, rather than wait until they're done, I've chosen to release

this "as-is". Expect an update with these 3 objects are finalized (those are actually the

only thngs missing -- everything else is done!)."

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but that was written in 2009, and it is

now mid-2012, so --

(a) have these been released somewhere, and if so, where?

(b) if not, are you still working on them, and if so, when might one reasonably

expect to see a download link?

© if not, and if you have NO INTENTION of pursuing them further, please let

us know...

Please, please, please, do NOT consider this post as "criticism" in any way!

I, and many others, vastly appreciate your efforts (and those of Edward, Gephard,

Baltika, etc.) to do all the work to bring these new terrains, and new flying experiences,

to us in the first place, and to selflessly share them with the Community.

Please consider my questions as "fumbling attempts by a Newb to understand/make

work his/her mod installation," and let everything else go...

Thanks in advance

DARoot

Edited by DARoot
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

First off, I do NOT mod for 1stGens anymore, so some of the answers may be more directed towards SF2. Also, the terrain I have is updated for SF2 (well, the data ini at least), in partucular for the May2012 patch, with SF2NA (iirc) (minus a water.bmp).

And to put things pretty bluntly ... ww2 modding is nearly dead. With 80-90% of all aircraft, objects, and etc "locked away" at the DAT site -and there are many end users who can't or don't want to go through the rigamarole to sign up or have been banned/refused membership- I find that the entire "program" is at an impasse.

The other remainig WW2 stuff, in particular Wolf's, and a lesser extent, ArmorDave's IJN/IJA aircraft are inaccessable for LOD fixing -which is/are desperately needed!!!-, we are most definately between the storied 'rock and hard place'

To not put too fine a point on it, until such time as new, freeware builds of the requisite WW2 aircraft, ships, ground vehicles and whatnots arrive, I have absolutely no plans on updating any of my WW2 terrains. It falls to the EndUser to make whatever changes are necessary to make them work (within the bounds I've set, as stated here: http://combatace.com/topic/26131-freeware-licensing/page__p__545949#entry545949 due to some folks going in and f***ing things up, where they've no business even touching it. The changes they introduced screwed things almost beyond recovery.

Having stated that, the caveat is: if such objects present themselves in large numbers, yes I will.

----------

So, lets see what we can address here...

as to the BigE and PTs, have you LOOKED in the /Solomons-V3 terrain folder for such items??? Many times, under 1st gens, would would seem to be ground objects, are terrain objects (located in the terrain folder, like a building, as used similarly).

If that is still so, change the _types listing to UseGroundObject= to FALSE

also, there should be a sub-folder in the terrain folder called "put_in_groundobjects_folder" that should contain some of the ships. (also in the Okinawa, Midway original and Midway Upgrades). I'm sorry that you can't d/l more than one file a day, but post more! or purchase a subscription, if financially possible (sorry, shameless I know, but it does help support CA)

The IJA mg gunner, iirc, is DATs ww1 lewis gunner (british?)

The mentioned 'Geo's WW2 GrondObjects' should now be available here, somewhere.

--> Target[030].Type=af45radioant

--> Target[0324].Type=fueltank3

--> Target[032].Offset=-823,758

--> Target[032].Heading=0

--> Target[032].Type=CamonetStorage

I take you've heard of "typos?" :lol: A simple text edit will fix that. When one is works with literally thousands of lines...mistake can creep in. Unfortnately, when I came to this planet, I had to leave my infallibility behind... :grin:

as to non-folderized ground objects (pre-08). this thread in the KB..

http://combatace.com/topic/11815-ground-objects-format-update-no-groundobjectdata-ini-anymore/

might help. Also, studying any of the stock GO main inis (ie:CargoShip.ini) would show the proper format.

as to item F, those objects never materalized; in fact, I don't even rmember what they might even have been.

converting 1stGen terrains, to SF2 usage is also covered in the SF2 KB:

http://combatace.com/topic/54856-converting-sfwo-terrains-to-sf2-usage/

however, what is not stated (and at the time of that tutorial wasn't used/didn't exist) is a *terrainname*_water.bmp is needed for each and every terrain to make sure ships stay on the wet parts.

Please, please, please, do NOT consider this post as "criticism" in any way!

Please consider my questions as "fumbling attempts by a Newb to understand/make

work his/her mod installation," and let everything else go...

"where no offense is given, none can be taken"

i hope this answered some, and I know not all, of your questions

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 2

Any WW2 mods that I would do would be for SF2 only -- as 1stGens are effectivly dead. TK hisself isn't even supporting them after the WoI expansion in, what? 2009? 10???? (it did add the Mustang); the 06 patch as too many issues with Vista/Winge7; the 08 patch f***ed the FM models, SF2 toasted them even more. Even the DAT has finally realized that NextGEns (SF2) is the only way to go. Even with it's issues of 'autorebuilds' after every patch or DLC or whathaveyou.

Perhaps we should move this discussion to the SF2 PropHeads Forum?? I don't know!! (being assdeep in northkoreans and chi-coms, trying to finsih off 4 years of work for KAW, with only a few people assisting....)

anyway, here's some boats:

enterprise6, (albeit set up for SF2 -test and see how it works. i don't know if i still have the gen1 back somewhere...)

and the

MTB (aka PTBoat)

you'll need to edit the _types ini, and change the pointer, as below:

[TargetType150]

Name=PTBoat

FullName=PT Boat

ModelName=Torpedoboot.LOD

TargetType=WARSHIP

ActiveYear=0

DamagePoint=100

ArmorValue=0

ArmorType=0

TargetValue=100

UseGroundObject=TRUE

GroundObjectType=MTB

RepairRate=0.150

StartDetectChance=50

StartIdentifiedChance=0

IncreaseDetectChanceKey=0

MaxVisibleDist=15000.0

DamagedModel=

DestroyedEffect=ShipDestroyedEffect

DestroyedModel=Torpedoboot.LOD

SecondaryEffect=SmallOilFire

SecondaryChance=100

this will allow them to be placed via the game einge, and will shoot back

as to the numbering glitch, you can simply renumber to match the sequence in that target area listing

as to this question:

My questions were directed at how to best utilize your EXISTING terrains (available to the End-User in June 2012) TODAY

I'lll need to know exactly what patch level, and/or WHICH of the series you want to play in. If 1stGen06, XP, as is will work.

If Vista, some adjustments will be necessary

IF Win7, some adjustment will be necessary

IF SF2,Win7, some adjustmens will be necessary

they're all different

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

I think there is still some good WW2 potential at the SF-1 final patch level. I have been playing around with the AvHistory FM's and plan to try some narrow focused installs for my own use. Probably a Battle of the Bulge install and maybe a Pacific install. I am presently building a Battle of Britain install but that requires quite a few new/modified FM's to work at the SF-1 final patch level. Working in a "Patch Free Zone" is a good feeling, however.

Thank you, Wrench, for responding to my recent post/questions.

DARoot

To Baffmeister --

Excellent! Much good luck with what you are doing, and I, (for one) would be interested in reading about your success stories (and even, failures) if you care to post them here.

[Myself, I use the "next-to-last" SFP1 patch (??Sept 2008, as opposed to Nov 2008??) and personally, find the "AvHistory" FMs a bit "twitchy" for my level of expertise (I always play in "Normal" Flight Mode, since that is what the AI uses...).

Anyway, Well Done! and Keep at it!

(and, as a veteran of First Eagles1 and First Eagles2, I'm not sure there is anything resembling a "Patch-Free Zone" in the ThirdWire universe....)

To Wrench --

WW2 SFP1 Enthusiasts -- We ain't dead yet ...

:bye:

DARoot