Sign in to follow this  
daddyairplanes

a request for the Desert Terrain

i am putzing around with a history of the Dhimar AF, and started thinking .. wouldn't they have small alert strips close to the border and esp the oil fields? something supporting COIN birds, light strike and helo's. the Highway strip mod for Germany CE would be good except for the vegatation. is there already a mod for small desert strips or would it be exceedingly hard to modify? looked at Piecemeals mod for SF2 but he actually pulls airfields away from the border, where i want to base dets of say 4 A-1s or A-4 apiece at them. if anyone can do this or advise on how (though that will be alot of advise :grin: ) it would be greatly appreciated.

There are three small desert strips added to the desert terrain in my old Harrier Campaign. It's in the SF1 download section. They're to small for an A-4 to take off from.

There's the harrier FOB's in the ODS terrain you can use.

It's just adding the object types to the terrain's _TYPES.INI and placing them via the terrain's _TARGETS.INI.

For airfields, you'll need to place them on flat areas of the terrain.

Harrier FOBs would be a good idea for later years. but would the ones in ODS be big enough for say an A-1, T-6 or a Gnat to take off from? A-4 would be even sweeter as it would give a dual A2A or A2G capability, but not completely needed for my thought process.

Harrier FOBs would be a good idea for later years. but would the ones in ODS be big enough for say an A-1, T-6 or a Gnat to take off from? A-4 would be even sweeter as it would give a dual A2A or A2G capability, but not completely needed for my thought process.

The Underlined part there is one!!! :blink: :blink: :blink:

afaic, there's only one oilfield on the map, and it's kinda small (out by the western mountains) what one can do, is rebuid the oilfield, with the runway at the 0/o point -as is required-, and add the various drill rigs, storage tanks, etc, off to one side -- summat like this....(hopefuly, the diagram works)

oil stuff

xxx runway

assuming a standard n/s orientation (so planes dont crash into the field on takeoff/landing)

Runway 3 is classed as 'small' -- you can use it for aircraft speced with MinimumBaseSize=SMALL. Or even use Runway2, which is a (small) medium base

adding airfeield is a nothing job, it's flattening them that is. There are, however several tricks available to the terraformer.

The most important one came from TK hisself -- creat a ciytlist.ini with ONLY the items (airfield) to be flattened. Of course, having a complete Desert TE setup helps.

Edited by Wrench