Gepard

Had a young Sea Eagle in front of my car

This morning, when i drove to work i saw suddenly a very big bird on the street. Twice as big than the normal birds of prey we have here in middle Germany. A yound Sea Eagle (still had a brown tail, only adult Sea Eagles have white tails) I stopped my car, the Eagle looked at me, for a while, then started, flow over my car an landed side by side, no 5 meters (15 feet) away and looked at me again.

Of course i had no camera (never by hand if you need one), so i took my handy (mobilephone, cellphone whatever this device is called in your language) and took this photo:

post-3395-0-48278500-1340807652.jpg

Was impressing, to be so close to a wild living Eagle. Had never been before so close.

The bird had a sitting height of, (i guess) 1 meter and a wingspan of 2,5 meters.

• Like 1

That is amazing! Rare indeed. I was back in the states a few weeks ago and got to tour the raptor center at Auburn University, many of their permanent residents and rescues were of this size. They are majestic!

very cool! there are Eagle nesting grounds near my home but they are a different kind of eagle.

Very nice...we only have one species here in the UK...so, lovely to see such a magnificent creature

We have Ospreys here, which are our "Sea Eagles" as well as Bald Eagles. There are several Bald Eagle and Osprey nests within 3 KM of where I live, at the Manasquan Reservoir.

Osprey at Manasquan Reservoir: http://www.fotonyc.net/Gallery2/photo.php?photo=3037&exhibition=20&ee_lang=eng&u=9292,6

Bald Eagle at Manaquan Reservoir: http://www.ahherald.com/columns-mainmenu-28/old-oak-trail/1264-a-visit-with-bald-eagles-in-monmouth-county

Neat Youtube video of a 'rescued' Bald Eagle

• Like 1

Rare indeed. A beauty of a bird. I remember how majestic they looked in flight, when I was visiting Greenland and hiking in mountains.

For a second I thought you were referring to THIS Sea Eagle:

Twbomb_09_12.png

Couldn't figure out how it was "young" or why it was in front of your car! :grin:

For a second I thought you were referring to THIS Sea Eagle:

Twbomb_09_12.png

Couldn't figure out how it was "young" or why it was in front of your car! :grin:

This Sea Eagle, though majestic in it's own right, would be hard to photograph....

For comparison, I had trouble taking my daughter to school this morning because a swan decided to stand right behind the car, obviously thinking I was going to give him some bread or something like some of our neighbors (unfortunately) do.

My almost-4 yr old went from picking flowers in the yard to running into the car so she could "get away from the scary swan"...it was about her height of 40" or so. :biggrin: She's a bit of a scaredy-cat, unfortunately.

oh you lucky! And yes one never have his camera when he needs it :blink:

I think it's still smaller than 1 meter though

post-29981-0-16029400-1340818402.jpg

One of the Sea Eagles I saw at Greenland. But nowhere the same quality as yours photo Michael

I've seen Ospreys at a house my family has rented on Cape Cod, but I've never had the luck to see an Eagle (other than F-15s :grin:)

I think there's an Eagle nest around here though, there's plenty of reservoirs.

August last year we spot this one circling over school across our office, not an eagle but it was impressive sight, mind you it was middle of the town as he was circling over main street:

post-8911-0-32520400-1340820995.jpg

My area also has a large bald eagle population, although I've never had a camera handy when I see them. Sigh...