UK_Widowmaker

OT: Crazy weather in Newcastle!

Madness Yesterday!...all in the space of 1 hr!....gone as quickly as it came

post-22245-0-37819600-1340985335.jpg

post-22245-0-67340600-1340985351.jpg

post-22245-0-97008000-1340985364.jpg

And a couple more!...Newcastle's Dean Street....and the Tyne Tunnel (or Submarine pen, as it's now known!)

post-22245-0-23544800-1340985721.jpg

post-22245-0-32845200-1340985732.jpg

Damn, that's a lot of water. :blink:

Funny weather here in Finland too. Last night it snowed a bit in the north.

Well, this is the year of the Apocalypse. :cool:

Yikes! Hope everyone is okay!

We're having some rather unpleasant weather here, but of a much different variety. No rain, and temperatures in the range of 108 degrees. Misery... :heat:

No-one seriously injured afaik , I work in Newcastle and walking to catch my train home I was soaked to the skin in less than 30 seconds hehe. Thunder was like nothing I've ever heard except for maybe Heavy Artillery , bottom of our street was well flooded but it didnt quite get to our door.

Yessir, CaptSopwith, that's us too, but not quite as hot - in the 90's, hot and humid as a Jamaican drummer's armpit! We need rain really bad, but nothing significant is predicted for the next 10 days. If I didn't have a natural spring near the house, I'm sure the flowers would all be dead.

I live near a town that got flash flooded like Widowmaker's Newcastle a few years back. Summer, we get those same intense thunderstorms and heavy downpours, and with all the hills, if it hits in the wrong place, it can be devastating. Doesn't help that nobody bothers about the storm sewer system until it's too late.

Widowmaker, hope everyone is OK. Those are fantastic pictures. We had four killed in Pittsburgh last year, including a mother and her two daughters, when the water came up too fast in heavy traffic.

Best,

Tom

(cross-posted with Deadhead)

Edited by HumanDrone

No-one seriously injured afaik , I work in Newcastle and walking to catch my train home I was soaked to the skin in less than 30 seconds hehe. Thunder was like nothing I've ever heard except for maybe Heavy Artillery , bottom of our street was well flooded but it didnt quite get to our door.

Hi Deadhead.... One of my friends couldn't get home at all...only got back this morning! (stayed with someone overnight...well, that's his excuse!) :grin:

crazy

I know most of those places WM and some of them I have actually seen in Sunshine!!! I knew the weather back in Blighty was a bit rough but not as bad as that... its currently 32C over here in little Vienna... and Tomorrow I go to the beach in Croatia by bike 5 hours in the heat that is going to be fun on the Autobahn!!!

The US of A is suffering from 100+ degrees F (37.8 C) temps across the country. And Monsoons in Florida. And huge wild fires out west in Colorado. The Old Globe is going topsy-turvy. They say it is due to the Jet Stream...Maybe global warming? I think it is due to the Sun Spots Maximum.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Those Colorado fires have been in the news even here. Looks pretty bad!

DO NOT MEDDLE IN THE AFFAIRS OF WIZARDS, FOR THEY ARE SUBTLE AND QUICK TO ANGER!

309934_10151068520101354_1940481143_n.jpg

Edited by Hauksbee

Actually here in upstate California, the temps have been very mild, with only a couple of day over 100. Just hope the folks from downstate Califronia don't think that is the norm and move up here.:cool:

Beard

Edited by Burning Beard

Actually here in upstate California, the temps have been very mild, with only a couple of day over 100. Just hope the folks from downstate Califronia don't think that is the norm and move up here.:cool:

Beard

never mind them...how'd ya fancy 60M Brits? :rofl:

My $00.02 is I don't put too much stock in "crazy weather." Okay, no stock.

I live in Florida; can't even tell we got all that rain last week. Maybe in a few very low lying areas, perhaps, but the undeniably overwhelming majority of the state is fine. Fine. Elsewhere, it's summer; it's always 100+ somewhere in US in the summer. There are always fires every year; some bigger, some smaller, many of them the result of arson. There are always storms. There are always tornadoes. There are always blizzards. There are always floods. There are always droughts. Always have been, too.

Only now, and this will be no revelation, there is 24/7 cable and internet "news" and blogs and forums and storm chasers and social media to "report" and one-up each other regarding every single drop of rain and clap of thunder on a worldwide basis. I'm typing these words in my office in Florida and I know people are going to read them on the other side of the US, in Europe, in Africa, in Scandanavia, within minutes. This is taken for granted today but even just twenty years ago, that was the stuff of Star Wars. Plus, nearly everybody today walks around with a phone capable of taking photographs and videos that can be transmitted to nearly anywhere on earth, or be made accessible to anyone on earth. Instead of us seeing a mention of one or two things a day on the evening news or in a daily newspaper, now we see "news" reports on a minute-by-minute basis, literally. "News" is also reported in present tense to lend urgency to the story; it's still "fresh" that way. Thus, everything seems to be happening at once. Coupled with the arguably short memories of many--at least Americans, who for instance fall for the same lines and platitudes during an election, and the election before that, and the election before that, yadda--this provides a sense of unprecedented "crazy" weather that must "mean something."

These various media outlets really think we're idiots, too. When it rains, they tell me to use an umbrella. When it's hot, they tell me to drink plenty of water and be careful when exercising outdoors. When there's lightning, they tell me to seek indoor shelter. When it's cold, they tell me to "bundle up." :crazy: Really? No s**t...

Oh, and hey, Weather Channel? A few things:

1) Earthquakes are NOT weather. Neither are Tsunamis. Ever.

2) There is a new invention that lets you video hurricanes without having to send a camera crew out into the storm--it's called a window.

3) Sending "reporters" outside into a hurricane to tell us "it sure is windy out here" makes as much sense and is as informative as a "reporter" running into a burning building and telling us "it sure is hot and smoky in here." Again, no s**t...

Okay, rant over. :grin:

My $00.02 is I don't put too much stock in "crazy weather." Okay, no stock.

I live in Florida; can't even tell we got all that rain last week. Maybe in a few very low lying areas, perhaps, but the undeniably overwhelming majority of the state is fine. Fine. Elsewhere, it's summer; it's always 100+ somewhere in US in the summer. There are always fires every year; some bigger, some smaller, many of them the result of arson. There are always storms. There are always tornadoes. There are always blizzards. There are always floods. There are always droughts. Always have been, too.

Only now, and this will be no revelation, there is 24/7 cable and internet "news" and blogs and forums and storm chasers and social media to "report" and one-up each other regarding every single drop of rain and clap of thunder on a worldwide basis. I'm typing these words in my office in Florida and I know people are going to read them on the other side of the US, in Europe, in Africa, in Scandanavia, within minutes. This is taken for granted today but even just twenty years ago, that was the stuff of Star Wars. Plus, nearly everybody today walks around with a phone capable of taking photographs and videos that can be transmitted to nearly anywhere on earth, or be made accessible to anyone on earth. Instead of us seeing a mention of one or two things a day on the evening news or in a daily newspaper, now we see "news" reports on a minute-by-minute basis, literally. "News" is also reported in present tense to lend urgency to the story; it's still "fresh" that way. Thus, everything seems to be happening at once. Coupled with the arguably short memories of many--at least Americans, who for instance fall for the same lines and platitudes during an election, and the election before that, and the election before that, yadda--this provides a sense of unprecedented "crazy" weather that must "mean something."

These various media outlets really think we're idiots, too. When it rains, they tell me to use an umbrella. When it's hot, they tell me to drink plenty of water and be careful when exercising outdoors. When there's lightning, they tell me to seek indoor shelter. When it's cold, they tell me to "bundle up." :crazy: Really? No s**t...

2) There is a new invention that lets you video hurricanes without having to send a camera crew out into the storm--it's called a window.

3) Sending "reporters" outside into a hurricane to tell us "it sure is windy out here" makes as much sense and is as informative as a "reporter" running into a burning building and telling us "it sure is hot and smoky in here." Again, no s**t...

Jim,

I agree with you 100% on this, just one question:

What is your take on global warming? lol

Gentlemen, no global warming discussion in this thread, please. Nothing good ever comes out of it.

:cool:

Very True!!! :good:

Hey! Are you sure those aren't pictures of the weather we've been having here in Minnesota WM? Looks just like it, even has a John Deere tractor in one of the pics.:grin: BTW, I like how someone doctored the plate on the car to read "OH DEAR" but forgot about the reflection in the water.

And Jim, I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

My thoughts about "Global Warming" - Like a certain body orifice, everyone has an opinion! Me, myself, and I have little control over that state of affairs. I have a larger kettle to fry.

Maybe we should lock this thread? The OP by WM was great for the interesting information presented, but hasn't it run its course? Just a personal "opinion"

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Nothing has kicked off...so why lock it? (apart from the fact it's probably run it's course)......... It's naff all to do with Global Warming...it's just about one days freak weather where I live

OK, Widow, I see your point. We, in Central Ohio. USA, just had a whopper of a thunder storm come through minutes ago. This is the second big one in two days. With very high 'hurricane level' winds that blew over many trees and has knocked power out around here for several days.

post-21226-0-73305300-1341188490.jpg

The high straight-line winds knocked down a line of high tension power poles and smashed a van along a busy highway. The driver had his foot amputated by one of the cross-braces as it penetrated the car roof and trapped the him for several hours.

OlPaint

Edited by OlPaint01

Almost looks like Texas weather paid a visit to Newcastle :).

Perhaps we should 'Twin' Texas and Newcastle?...we could have an exchange visit!

(trouble is of course...I wouldn't want to go home!) :lol:

I thought Buffalo Joes was America. You're telling me those were English girls?