Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Argentine bomb types

Hi Gang,

I am modelling some aircraft for the Falklands 30th anniversary, but I am not sure what types of bombs to kit out my Argentine Skyhawks with. The Falklands mod talks about STRIM bombs and they look like British 500-pound freefall bombs, but I struck a blank on the web. Did they use UK, US, French bombs? Any info pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

I know that FAA aircraft were armed with both French and Israeli made weapons, including the Matra R550 IR air to air missile, and Argentine Navy Super Etendards were armed with AM39 Exocet missiles. I also believe that US made Mk.82 bombs were also used. You may want to ask Dave or eburger68 as they have released great Falklands War mods for SF2.

Hope this helps

Edited by warthog64

there's an argentinian weapons set in the downloads sections somewhere ... i disremember if it's SF/Wo* or SF2

there's an argentinian weapons set in the downloads sections somewhere ... i disremember if it's SF/Wo* or SF2

Here's the weapons pack harryleith,

http://combatace.com/topic/61633-sf2-falklands-82-fixes-updates/page__st__40

Thanks Wrench.

The link is found at the top of the forum page. As far as exact historical loadouts though I'm not sure what the Argentine aircraft carried.

By modelling I mean plastic, so I have access to lots of US ordnance via the Hasegawa weapon packs, but nothing NATO or UK. Web turned up one reference to Spanish-designed freefall bombs in use in the Falklands.

Ok, after being stupid and giving you the Dagger armament, I'vedecided to give it a second attempt :grin:

A-4C's usually had either

- three BR/BRP bombs and two 300gal tanks (BR/ BRP bombs are of spanish origin)

http://articles.janes.com/articles/Janes-Air-Launched-Weapons/BRP-retarded-bombs-Spain.html

- two 300gal tanks and a single Mk 17 bomb (the Mk 17 is of british origin)

A-4P:

three BR/BRP bombs on a TER on the centerline-rack and two 300gal tanks

A-4Q:

a couple of Mk82-Snakeeyes (four a MER at the centerline-rack) plus two 300gal tanks.

The picture doesn't show the rack on the airplane, so don't nail me onto the configuration - but it's the only bomb-picture I've seen of the Quebecs so far.

Info taken out of "Wings of the Malvinas" by Santiago Rivas.

http://www.crecy.co.uk/images/9781902109220_Wings_of_the_Malvinas.jpg

The BR/ BRP-bombs are called "EXPAL" and were used on the A-4C/P only.

The Mk 17s were used on the C and P only.

The Mk82s were used on the Q only.

The A-4C could be fitted with Shafrir 2 missiles, while the A-4Q could be fitted with AIM-9B missiles.

Edited by Toryu

This pack is the most "historical" as far as I know.

http://combatace.com/files/file/11092-pack-de-armas-argentino-malvinas-1982/

The guy who did it (TerceraEscuadrilla) has a huge historical background. He has permanent contact with pilots and mechanics who participated on Malvinas War and is an "open book" about Malvinas conflict.

The pack also include a pdf with some "technical data" about aircrafts and loadouts which may help you.

You can always contact Adrian (terceraescuadrilla) by MP, but I don't kown if he still visit CA...you can try...

Thanks for the help, guys! I really appreciate it. Mk82's I have by the bucketload from the Hasegawa weapons sets, both standard and retarded. The source kits (the eagerly awaited new-tool 1/72 Airfix A-4B/P) has a British 1000lb bomb and wing tanks. I had seen multiple-bomb armaments as well, and was contemplating one of those. I can hang onto the British pattern bombs from my Haseagawa Harrier GR.3 and Sea Harrier kits to give me options.

I can model an A-4B (brown/green camo) and an A-4Q (grey/white) but the A-4C has the later nose pattern not present in the new kit.

Once again, thank you for your time and expertise!

Thanks for the help, guys! I really appreciate it. Mk82's I have by the bucketload from the Hasegawa weapons sets, both standard and retarded. The source kits (the eagerly awaited new-tool 1/72 Airfix A-4B/P) has a British 1000lb bomb and wing tanks. I had seen multiple-bomb armaments as well, and was contemplating one of those. I can hang onto the British pattern bombs from my Haseagawa Harrier GR.3 and Sea Harrier kits to give me options.

I can model an A-4B (brown/green camo) and an A-4Q (grey/white) but the A-4C has the later nose pattern not present in the new kit.

Once again, thank you for your time and expertise!

Hope you'll post some shots of your work. Is the new tool kit okay?? I have a butt load of decals for Argentine A-4's Was planning to see if I could collect enough Fujimi's A-4's for those. But you don't find many in swap meets if any at all.

:clapping: Nice :good: