Sign in to follow this  
Stephen1918

Fokker M.7/B.I

Fokker M.7/B.I

The Fokker Aircraft Company produced several biplanes during the time it was producing it's famous Eindeckers. Two of them, the M.7 and the M.10 were purchased by Austria-Hungary and were both designated the "B.I" My version is the M.7 (I believe Bwf/Bortdafarm's version is the M.10 since it has a wider lower wing.)

The M.7/B.I was a two seater plane for reconnaissance and carried no guns. The pilot was in the rear seat. Later in the war, when the B.I was used for training, some of them were fitted with dual controls.

Mine is unarmed, like most planes used in the early months of the war, but there is a loadout for a couple of handgrenades.

I have included two skins, one Austrian, the other German, with appropriate decals for each. I have included my skinning templates so others can make new skins if they want.

Historical Notes

The serial numbers are fictitious. The cockpit is based on the Eindecker cockpit, since I could find no photo's of the B.I cockpit.

Credits

My thanks to ojcar, who created the FM for the Fokker B.I.

My thanks also to Nix, who provided the sound for the Gnome 80hp engine. (This is the same sound file I uploaded with the Sikorsky. If you already have either of the Sikorsky's you won't need to install the sound.)

Installation instructions

Note: The name uses an "I", not a one. If you type it wrong, the game won't recognize the plane.

For FE1 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "FokkerM7BI" into the "Aircraft" folder in the FirstEagles/Objects folder. You may also need to move the sound file "gnome80m4.wav" into the FirstEagles/Sounds folder.

For FE2 - Unzip the file and move the folder named "FokkerM7BI" into the FirstEagles/Objects/Aircraft folder. Then in the FirstEagles/Objects/Decals folder, create a new folder named "FokkerM7BI". Move the folder named "D" from the Aircraft/FokkerM7BI folder into the Decals/FokkerM7BI folder you just made. You may also need to move the sound file "gnome80m4.wav" into the FirstEagles/Sounds folder.

love this one! the earlier the better as far as I'm concerned. I know your plate is full but will there be further early fokker biplanes in the future?

Wow! another nice bird for First Eagles! Many thanks Stephen!!! :drinks:

Thank you very much for that. I love those Austrian markings and just finished a successful recon patrol in it although we were bounced by a couple of spads and lost a wingman :good:

Easy to fly and land which is great for me too!

Please make a Fokker D.II, it's a variant of the Fokker M.17 than you have already built with minor changes, only one pilot and a front gun.

"The Fokker D.II was the German army designation for the Fokker M.17Z biplane, ordered as a replacement for the Fokker E.II monoplane fighter aircraft in 1916. The Fokker D.II was powered by a 100hp Oberursal UR.I engine, and was armed with a single LMG 08/15 machine gun. The German army wanted aileron controls, but earlier production aircraft had to be fitted with wing-warping controls, felt to be more vulnerable to battle damage.

Production of the D.II was slow. Fokker’s Schwerin factory was not really big enough to deal with all the orders that Fokker’s enthusiastic sales techniques were winning, and by the time the D.II appeared in sufficient numbers to enter service, it was already obsolescent. A few aircraft saw active service on quiet fronts, but most were used as training aircraft. One hundred and thirty two aircraft were ordered, but at best only half of this number were available at any one time and by September 1917 most were no longer in use."

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_fokker_dII.html

lol Hansa I'm so glad you asked this beacause I have been biting my tounge since this came out wanting to ask the same question. the Fokker D.II and D.III series were not spectacular fighters but I love them just the same. I have had alot of fun just flying the M.7 around like I'm touring the countryside lol. Thanks again Stephen for an excellent aircraft.

I've had A LOT of requests for planes since I posted the B.I! I like the early planes too and I will make more eventually. Right now I'm working on an Eastern Front campaign and all my free time will be devoted to that for the near future. I'll get back to planes after that.

no worries at all. your stuff has all been great and the Eastern front looks to be a show stopper.Also not sure what I can do but if you need research materials or simple skin here and there let me know.