DARoot

Adding Crew and Guns to SFP1 WW2 Aircraft

-- the Mitsubishi Ki-21 "Sally" Bomber

Well, for anyone who cares, this is intended to help anyone who uses Wolf257's Ki-21 "Sally" Japanese bomber in their WW2 PTO installation of SFP1.

This is a continuation of my previous input under the "G4M2 Tail and Crew Model" Thread here.

Wrench (in his "Sally Ini/Upgrade" pack) showed us how to add additional crewmembers to existing aeroplane models, through simple edits to their "xx_Data.ini" files in Notepad (discussed in detail in the aforementioned thread). His "Sally" upgrade started me along this pathway, but his note in the "ReadMe" for his G4M2 "Betty" Ini/Upgrade pack also got me to look at/consider the gun stations themselves, that these additional crewmembers were supposedly operating. So, in an effort to save YOU the time and trouble of the "trial-by-error" experimentation that I had to go through, (or reading through 5 years of "Knowledge Base" posts -- which is probably a good idea anyway, when you have the time...) I'm posting these thoughts here. Make of them what you will....

Of course, if you are already perfectly happy with your own "Ki-21 "Sally" bomber," no need to read further.

(1) You may have noticed that (whether you use the original "Sally," or the Wrench Upgrade version), some of the defensive guns do not work properly. This is (I believe) because of a glitch in the "ModelNodeName" IDs in their

// Internal Guns ------------- entries in the xx_Data.ini. [i cannot "hexedit" .lod files, but I sure can read the entries in their corresponding .out files in Notepad, if supplied...].

Wolf257's .out file identifies four gun model/nodes in the "Sally" .lod -- MG-01, MG-02, MG-03, and MG-04,scattered all about.

To make the animations work, these MUST be properly associated (in the "Ki-21_Data.ini" file) with their corresponding // Crew ---------------- Gunner Station sections of "Ki-21_Data.ini", under the entries:

PitchModelNodeName=

YawModelNodeName=

Both the existing [Tailgunner] and [bellyGunner] entries have erroneous, fictitious IDs ["Tailgun_Pitch[Yaw]_Pivot" and "MG_07" respectively]. You must manually edit your "Ki-21_Data.ini" to make these guns work properly.

You also must make sure that the "Gunner ID=" [under the "//Crew ----" section] matches the "GunnerID=" for the corresponding gun (under the "// Internal guns -------" section.(Whew!).

(2) OK --

So, assuming you have Wrench's "Ki-21 Ini/Upgrade" [i do], here are some edits you can make to your "Ki-21_Data.ini" [you are trusting souls, Eh? Well, that's why I explained my rationale for these changes previously...use at your own risk...]

"Ki-21_Data.ini" Edits --

[Fuselage]
<-- Add These at bottom (number accordingly, sequentially -- if you already have them, nevermind...)
SystemName[013]=TopGunCrew
SystemName[014]=NoseGunCrew

// Crew ---------------------------------------------------------
[TopGunner]
SystemType=GUNNER_STATION
SeatID=3
GunnerID=1
PilotModelName=GunnerWW2Early.lod
SetCockpitPosition=FALSE
Position=0.00,-3.23,0.50
Rotation=0.0,0.0,180
MinExtentPosition=-0.25,-5.23,0.50
MaxExtentPosition=0.25,-3.86,1.23
PitchModelNodeName=MG_02
YawModelNodeName=MG_02
GunRange=2000
PitchAngleRate=45
MaxPitch=90
MinPitch=0
DefaultPitchAngle=0
YawLimited=TRUE
MaxYaw=225
MinYaw=135
YawAngleRate=45
DefaultYawAngle=180

[TailGunner]
SeatID=4
GunnerID=2
PilotModelName=GunnerWW2Early.lod
SetCockpitPosition=FALSE
//Position=0.0,10.5,0.0
Position=0.0,-9.5,0.0
Rotation=0.0,0.0,180
MinExtentPosition=-0.25,-9.23, 0.50
MaxExtentPosition= 0.25,-9.86, 1.23
//PitchModelNodeName=Tailgun_Pitch_Pivot
//YawModelNodeName=Tailgun_Yaw_Pivot
PitchModelNodeName=MG_04   //<-- Substitute for above
YawModelNodeName=MG_04   // <-- Substitute for above
GunRange=2000
PitchAngleRate=45
MaxPitch=25
MinPitch=-25
DefaultPitchAngle=0
YawLimited=TRUE
YawAngleRate=45
MaxYaw=215
MinYaw=145
DefaultYawAngle=180

[NoseGunner]
SeatID=5
GunnerID=3
PilotModelName=PilotWW2JpnArmy.lod
SetCockpitPosition=FALSE
Position=0.0,4.55,0.85
Rotation=0.0,0.0,0.0
MinExtentPosition=-0.25,5.23, 0.50
MaxExtentPosition= 0.25,3.86, 1.23
PitchModelNodeName=MG_01
YawModelNodeName=MG_01
GunRange=2000
PitchAngleRate=45
MaxPitch=30
MinPitch=-30
DefaultPitchAngle=0
YawLimited=TRUE
YawAngleRate=45
MaxYaw=30
MinYaw=-30
DefaultYawAngle=0

[bellyGunner]
SeatID=6
GunnerID=4
PilotModelName=GunnerWW2Early
SetCockpitPosition=FALSE
Position=0.0,-4.5,0.hs
MinExtentPosition=-0.25,-5.23, 0.50
MaxExtentPosition= 0.25,-3.86, 1.23
PitchModelNodeName=MG_03  // <-- Substitute for "MG_07"
YawModelNodeName=MG_03   // <-- Substitute for "MG_07"
GunRange=2000
PitchAngleRate=45
MaxPitch=0
MinPitch=-90
DefaultPitchAngle=-45
YawLimited=TRUE
YawAngleRate=45
MaxYaw=215
MinYaw=145
DefaultYawAngle=180

//--> Added by [b]Wrench[/b] to the "// Crew ---------" Section of the _Data.ini, to give additional "eye candy" visible crew. If 

you don't already have them, add these .... 

[TopGunCrew]
SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT
PilotModelName=WW2JpnGunner
// --> [or PilotModelName=GunnerWW2Early <--]
SeatID=7
SetCockpitPosition=TRUE
Position=-0.0000,-3.6,1.15
Rotation=0.0,0.0,180
SeatModelName=
SeatPosition=

[NoseGunCrew]
SystemType=PILOT_COCKPIT
SeatID=8
PilotModelName=PilotWW2JpnArmy.lod
SetCockpitPosition=TRUE
Position=0.0,3.95,0.2
SeatModelName=
SeatPosition=
---------------------------------------------
// Internal Guns ---------------------------------

[NoseGun]
SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN
GunTypeName=7.7MM_TYPE89F
MuzzlePosition=0.0,6.2,-0.2187
LightPosition=0.0,6.2,-0.2187
MaxAmmo=500
TracerLoading=5
BurstAmount=10
GunnerID=3  // <-- Must match "GunnerID=" entry for the NoseGunner under "// Crew -------"
MinExtentPosition=-0.0,8.2401,0.0219
MaxExtentPosition=0.1,8.4401,0.2219

[TopGun]
SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN
MuzzlePosition=-0.0,-3.7751,1.1441
LightPosition=-0.0,-3.7751,1.1441
MaxAmmo=1000
TracerLoading=5
BurstAmount=10
GunnerID=1  // <-- Must match "GunnerID=" entry for theTopGunner under "// Crew -------"
MinExtentPosition= -0.1056,-3.1824,1.1971
MaxExtentPosition= -0.3056,-3.3824,1.3971

[TailGun]
SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN
MuzzlePosition=-0.0,-9.6481,0.0178
LightPosition=-0.0,-9.6481,0.0178
MaxAmmo=1000
TracerLoading=5
BurstAmount=10
GunnerID=2  // <-- Must match "GunnerID=" entry for the TailGunner under "// Crew -------"
MinExtentPosition= 0.01,-8.12,0.0954
MaxExtentPosition= 0.21,-8.32,0.2054

[bellyGun]
SystemType=FLEXIBLE_GUN
MuzzlePosition=-0.0,-5.3023,-1.0
LightPosition=-0.0,-5.3023,-1.0
MaxAmmo=500
TracerLoading=5
BurstAmount=10
GunnerID=4  // <-- Must match "GunnerID=" entry for the BellyGunner under "// Crew -------"
MinExtentPosition= -0.2773,-4.7448,-0.445
MaxExtentPosition= -0.4773,-4.9448,-0.645

(3) So, If you do the above, you will (should) get this result --

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd424/DARoot1/Wargames/SALLYGUN.jpg

The Ki-21 is STILL ridiculously easy to bring down (even in a P-40, or P-26), but should be at least a BIT more challenging with these edits (and perhaps, give you a tad more confidence, if you are tasked with flying one...)

By all means, feel free to "tweak" these numbers to suit yourself. (And post your "success stories" here, for the benefit of us all).

My own research (online, and in books) indicates that the Ki-21 was available during the war in several variants, beginning with the Ki-21-1 (850 hp Nakajima Radial engines, 1,653lb [750kg] bombs) in 1938, and ending with the Ki-21-IIb (1,500 hp Mitsubishi Radial engines, 2,200lb [1000kg] bombs, and a Dorsal Turret (instead of the "Greenhouse," with a 12.7mm MG Type 1 (in addition to 4 x 7.7 mm MGs in Nose, Tail, Ventral, and "beam" positions [don't ask me how the apparently single "beam" gun worked... that's what Wikipedia says...).

You can (to please yourself) further edit the _Data.ini to reflect whatever you want.

This post just uses what Wolf257 gave us as a model (and seems to pretty well reflect a Ki-21-IIa).

You MIGHT want to substitute a 12.7mm MG in the Dorsal position (I did) as a sort of "compromise," and then use this same model throughout the war (Ki-21s served from 1938 through 1944, then became mostly "Kamikaze" 1-way rides ...)

Main thing is -- it's a Game, have fun, enjoy ....

DARoot

Edited by DARoot

nicely done!!! ...

suggetion: why not upload the corrected data ini to the WW2 planes section. a lot of folks are not familiar enough with The Ini Dance to do it themselves.

be easier in the long run for some people

Continuing on with this topic (for anyone who cares) --

Adding Visible Crew to Paskos B-24J Bomber

Pasco(actually, Pasco, Gramps, Starfighter, and Kesselbut) have provided us WW2 SFP1 Propheads with some dandy B-24D and B-24J models.

Their B-24D is highly detailed, with appropriate crewmembers visible in every position.

Their B-24J is, however, not so much...

Well, after extensive editing and in-game testing, here is a method to add additional (viewable)crewmembers to the B-24J.

I'm doing this a little differently this time, for several reasons (and, to a certain extent, because Wrench suggested it) --

-- The original "B-24J_Data.ini" is in some oddball format, with "little squares" inserted for spaces and carriage returns. (Open it, yourself, in Notepad, to see what I mean...)

This format is VERY confusing to me (but, DOES work in-game), but does not lend itself well to explaining my subsequent edits.

-- A modder named Starfighter2 released a "No-Shake Fix" for Pasco's B-24, 'way back in 2008, that attempted to fix the "twitching" the original (2005) _Data.ini exhibited when under Autopilot control. Subsequently, such eminent modders as Wrench and DFang did further updates/edits to the original Pasco B-24x_Data.ini, to correct things like running/landing light positions, "bouncing" on the runway, "porpoising" in mid-air, the right-hand landing gear wheel rotating in the wrong direction, etc.

-- So I'll say simply, that I'm attaching my own "B-24J_Data.ini" below, if you wish to utilize it.

== It is based on Starfighter2's "No Shake" file, with additions;

== In addition to adding a couple of new visible crewmembers (waist gun positions), it embodies all the subsequent edits by DFang and Wrench for the B-24D and B-24J);

== I may have made some edits to the "GunnerStations" and/or "Internal Guns" entries, but don't remember...;

== It is in "expanded" format (when viewed in Notepad), that should make it easier for you to see (or subsequently edit) it, should you wish. Also, if you want to "analyze" my changes, this makes it easier for you to do so.

[incidentally, I always add "RECON" to the "Primary (or Secondary) Roles= " in my Data.ini files, since that is the mode I use for testing changes in Single Mission -- remove it if it offends you].

== You can also use this with Wrench's "PB4Y_Navy" version/model, but you will have to manually compare the _Data.ini from Wrench's mod to this one, and edit as necessary, to make it fly like Wrench originally intended.

[Myself, I simply made the "PB4Y" skinset as an alternative TextureSet within my "B-24J" folder, and sorta added some "torpedo stations" to the inner underwing pylons. That's what happens when us "End-Users" get ahold of stuff, and may or may not reflect historical accuracy. Hence, THOSE edits are not included above...]

So, here it is, for better or worse. Use or not, as pleases you --

B-24J_DATA.rar

BE WARNED -- If you use these edits, These guys tend to be FORMIDABLE opponents.

[Nothin' like attacking a "Ki-21 Sally"]

You must be VERY careful with your approach and attack posture, and (even with a wingman), you probably AIN'T gonna bring down a flight of 6-8 of these things (unless you are VERY good) before they do some SERIOUS damage to your home airfield, or whatever it is you are trying to defend from them ....

Well, War is Hell, Eh?

DARoot

The original "B-24J_Data.ini" is in some oddball format, with "little squares" inserted for spaces and carriage returns. (Open it, yourself, in Notepad, to see what I mean...)

it's a european text thing, iirc. what i did years ago, was open it in Word, and just re-edited the lines, saved it as plain text (again, iirc), then reopen in notepad to triple check

some addditional editing in notepad may be necessary (I know the Indian AF J I uploaded to the SF2 section is corrected for that)

Edited by Wrench

:bye: Thanks, Wrench

[We LOVE our European friends, Eh?]

Well, to continue on --

Continuing on (for anyone who cares) --

Adding Visible Crew to the A-Team's B-17G

The A-Team has made available to us some pretty nifty B-17F and B-17G models.

As with Pasco's B-24D/J, the original (B-17F) is quite detailed, with visible "crewmembers" appropriately assigned, but their subsequent B-17G is, sadly, much less detailed (go look at a screenshot of Pasco's B-24J Nose Turret, and compare it to the A-Team's B-17G Chin Turret, and you will see exactly what I am on about...).

Well, as with Wolf257's "Ki-21 Sally," we work with what we have available....

Without going into detail (you can analyze the file supplied as you please), here is MY edited version of the B-17G_Data.ini, with some additional visible crew, and whatever other GunnerStation/Internal Guns edits I may have made, to make this sucker a bit more aggressive as an opponent [or, a bit more comforting as a ride, if you happen to be flying it...]

B-17G_DATA.rar

Use this, or not, as you please. And, any feedback to help refine it would be most appreciated.

[but, PLEASE keep it civil.... If you REALLY want to pull my chain, just ask, "So, How come you can't find a RL Girl-friend to occupy your time?" and see what you get in response... But, I would ask you NOT to do so....]

:bye:

DARoot

After reading this thread the first time, I decided to test my 2c's 20mm out on the G4M3 to align the guns. Well that tail mg has been driving me nut's for 8 years, I've tried INI edits to fix it a few diffrent times, No joy! It took me 45mi. to create,export and install.(and shoot down) I would have done more detail on the guns , but I'm thinking of doing a M3.

Edited by RAVEN