Sign in to follow this  
DARoot

Cockpit Texture Views

OK.

So, now that I have (tried) to help you this past week, it's now your turn to (perhaps) try to help me with something (if you can)...

== Views from Cockpit

-- I always thought that, when you set "Show From Cockpit=TRUE", you would get a rendition of whatever the "base" aircraft skins are, when you went to Forward/Left/Right In-Cockpit Views.

Apparently, not so ...

Here's some examples --

-- The "B-24J" by Pasco has primarily a silver texture.

post-5298-0-92212700-1341412605.jpg

But the default cockpit view shows an olive drab (OD) nose.

post-5298-0-30292900-1341412723.jpg

-- On the other hand, the "A-Team"s" B-17G is also mostly silver,

post-5298-0-87650900-1341412761.jpg

But with a Yellow area in front of the cockpit... However, THEIR supplied cockpit file gives a primarily Silver nose.

post-5298-0-10549900-1341412776.jpg

As near as I can tell, these two cockpit.inis, and the various files within their \Cockpit subfolders, are the same.

What the $#@%&**??

OK -- I've got both OD and Silver skins in both aircraft folders (and a blue Navy PB4Y skin in the B-24J), but whichever texture is in use should have the proper cockpit file/view, don't ya think? [is THAT the "secret" -- whichever TextureFolder is #1 in "Name-Your-Plane.ini," determines what that plane's Cockpit displays in Fwd/L/R cockpit views?].

It gets worse ---

I recently installed Bunyap's "9th FS" P-38 Texture files (all are silver) over Wolf257's default P-38L OD skins --

The first few times I played, I got OD "inner wing" textures [between the cockpit and the engine nacelles] in L/R views, and Silver "outer wings." THEN (I did nothing to the Cockpit files) I got Silver "inner wing" textures [etc.] in L/R Views, and either Silver or OD "outer wings," with WHATEVER "base" texture skin I had chosen.

post-5298-0-44501300-1341413090.jpg

post-5298-0-37374200-1341413140.jpg

post-5298-0-06761900-1341413238.jpg

post-5298-0-90051700-1341413192.jpg

This is beyond my understanding.

Hopefully, it's something simple, but my poor brain just can't cope with it today ....

Can any of you "Experts" perhaps help shed some light on whatever is going on?

Please?

[incidentally, I've also learned (through further research) that the 3rd "Navigator/BombAimer"crewman in the TBF "Avenger" was ALSO tasked with operating the Belly Gun, so an additional (4th) crewman in that position is probably NOT historically accurate. So you can just "Nevermind" my previous post on this subject ,,, [well, it's Your Game, so YOU get to decide -- if you want to add him or not, as described in my previous post... I do NOT know how to dynamically "switch" crew from one place to another, in-game, based on circumstances...]

DARoot

:bye:

On the b's, could it be that the nose pannel you see from the pit is part of the cockpit lod, The p38. may have wing sections as part of the pit lod. I know one of Wolf's f4u's have wing sections as part of the pit. (Drove me nut's during a repaint)

Exactly what RAVEN said...some of the cockpits have external parts as part of the LOD. Look in the cockpit directory and you may actually see the bitmaps used.

FC

Thanks for your responses, FastCargo and Raven

That's Exactly the question I'm asking --

-- Is the visible texture part of the "Cockpit.ini" or .lod file, and if so, is it End-User editable (and if so, how)?

-- Or is it a Game-Engine related thingie (perhaps NOT End-User editable)?

The more information, the better....

"Input...Input!" -- Johnny5

DARoot

[Errr... Did no one notice my previous statement, "..As near as I can tell, these two cockpit.inis, and the various files within their \Cockpit subfolders, are the same." ???] I'm not exactly a ninny at this stuff, (even though I may appear so, at times)...]

USB Pit B-17G

This just makes the nose goaway, I did not try to reposition the pit.

Cockpit.ini add

//Move-----------------------------------------

Instrument[049]=Move1

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=Nose

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

The texture for the nose is: Patch.bmp in the cockpit folder.

Raven

P-38Pit

Data ini change

[Fuselage]

ModelNodeName=Fuselage

ShowFromCockpit=True

//FALSE

Cockpit.ini add

Instrument[038]=Move1

Instrument[039]=Move2

[Move1]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=Right_I_Wing

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

[Move2]

Type=AIRSPEED_INDICATOR

NodeName=Left_I_Wing

MovementType=POSITION_Z

Set[01].Position=-99

Set[01].Value=0.0

Set[02].Position=-99

Set[02].Value=1.0

//End--------------------------------------------

The texture for the pit Inner wings is P-38LTex in the cockpit folder.

Works ,but looks funky. The camara view is so close to the innerwings that they go transparent.

Raven

yes, as stated it's a cockpit lod issue, which is why we've pretty much left it alone; partly due to clipping issues.

end users just have to suspend disbelief on the external parts