"If modding is lost, the Game is lost"

the modding community is what's kept it going for 10 years. Not many other games, manufacturer supported, can say that (note i said 'manufacturer supported', not abandonware that's be rebuilt from it's released sourcecode)

Edited by Wrench
  • Like 3

I have to admit, JM's insight is another reason I am coming to like the idea of the SF series coming to an end on the PC. Once the code is stabilized, there will no longer be the constant treadmill of keeping mods current.

FC

Amen to that!

SF isn't coming to an end on the PC.

Dan, I think I speak for everyone on this, (and if not, phlbft) don't be a stranger!

Thanks for these words

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out of joy and were suddenly silenced by next patch...

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out of joy and were suddenly silenced by next patch...

Chapeau Jeff, good to know you and great working with you these past few years.

Stary, your last remark had me in stitches. For me it says it all about why I've mostly been absent from contributing to SF2 (single mission) mods. Streakeagle said it too - every time there is a new patch you live in fear of it wiping out the work you've done so far on your next mod. For the work I do on mission writing I'm finding that I'm now locked out of many features that I used to rely on for eye-candy and that extra bit of immersion for historical accuracy. For example, weather settings (clouds!) and AI behaviour when starting on the ground at the same airfield.

My favorite mod'able platform is still SF1 series of games, patched to October 2008.

I think perhaps the easiest thing to do is bring the missile code back to what it was before SF2NA and all the bitching and whining about hit probability.

Just make it what it was like before when nobody was complaining about it.

This realism/sim/game argument is suffering from the vocabulary. All of us having different ideas of what these mean and in what respects and just how TK is going about making changes (and what he plans to do).

Word. It hadn't changed for a while and everyone was fine with it. Don't know what inspired all the changes...

I can't recall us discussing missiles behaviour (not to be mistaken with AI handling of BVR for example) in ages... :dntknw:

And now it's all that's left to discuss about the stock game.

good point

random thought No.5643

why TK never ever implemented views of fired weapons for all sides, together missile-to-player // missile-to-others ones?

why TK never ever implemented views of fired weapons for all sides,

TK didn't but we did :)

My Tomcat views mod does this. Pretty usefull to see how enemy AA missiles, SAMs etc. act.

link?

It likely had to do with the massive cruise missile implementation. Being able to fire on them with AIM-54s and all, ships targeting them, etc. So naturally changes had to be made, I think the AAM vs plane changes were an accidental side effect.