Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Quiet Amiens?

I have just passed 8th August 1918. The British army is making their advance and I am stationed at Bovelles, just east of Amiens, flying RE8s with 5 squadron RAF. The daily updates are telling me that our sector is still 'quiet'. I had rather expected the situation to be fairly active in this area.

Perhaps this is just a misconception on my part. I am using Bletchley's mods and am wondering whether it would be more appropriate to switch to 'Active Sector' anyway.

I know there are people that must be better infromed about this period than me - what are your opinions about which would be more accurate?

Edited by Wayfarer

Wayfarer, if you've just flown through August 8th of 1918 at Amiens, you should have seen aeroplanes everywhere. The Allies had assembled over 1,900 to kick off the party, and while the Germans were caught unawares, they quickly recovered and moved additional jastas into the area to try and gain back air superiority. It should most certainly NOT be quiet.

RAF_Louvert, thanks - I thought as much, and I definitely am seeing a lot of aircraft. I am going to switch to 'Active sector'.

If you're seeing a lot of machines, commensurate with expectation, then might it not be just that the text of the daily update is in error and everything else about the mod okay?

If you're seeing a lot of machines, commensurate with expectation, then might it not be just that the text of the daily update is in error and everything else about the mod okay?

Dej, I'm presuming it is something like that. I'm definitely going to fly with an 'active sector' mindset.

Not that it really makes much difference to the way I fly - I always try to avoid enemy aircraft anyway!

I've noticed that in 1918 the only sector of the front that is not busy all the time for most of the year is Alsace. And even there you have more activity than in previous years.

It'll be interesting to see how things work in WOFF.

Both Bletchley's and Buddy1998 Missions Mods have both Active and Quiet Sector missions sets. My understanding is that these Mission Mods tell the game what types or kinds of missions are flown - not how many opponents you meet in a sortie. OFF launches enemy sorties that you may meet based on the historical activity on each front. OFF Realism Bundle and Lothar's OFFice allow you to set the activity choice for either Missions Mods pak.

OlPaint

One consolation of flying in a Quiet Sector in 1918 - you may get to meet Beatrice and her pigeons, but only if you fly two-seaters :)

Bletchley

Both Bletchley's and Buddy1998 Missions Mods have both Active and Quiet Sector missions sets. My understanding is that these Mission Mods tell the game what types or kinds of missions are flown - not how many opponents you meet in a sortie. OFF launches enemy sorties that you may meet based on the historical activity on each front. OlPaint

Thanks Olpaint, I realise I had implicitly assumed they did both. The mission types under 'Active Sector' definitely seem more appropriate for this area at this particular period.

One consolation of flying in a Quiet Sector in 1918 - you may get to meet Beatrice and her pigeons, but only if you fly two-seaters :)

Bletchley

I do fly two-seaters and shall be keeping a sharp eye out for them!

Bletchley, Please share the story about Beatrice and her Pigeons. That is one I haven't heard before :clapping:

OlPaint, you will have to fly bomber-type missions in a Quiet sector in 1918 if you want to meet Beatrice. The pigeons are the tools of her trade - need I say more? Very hush-hush...You will be instructed to fly across the lines on a lone wolf mission, with 0 ammunition load (the pigeon-crates take up all the space otherwise occupied by guns and ammunition), and to land her in a field near a designated factory.

Has anyone met her yet?

Bletchley :)

From looking at the logs of the mission generator, I'm convinced "Active" just means your squad's on an Offensive Attitude, while "Quiet" means a Defensive Attitude. OlPaint's right that this determines the type of missions, not necessarily the density of flights. That depends on a number of factors including your CPU power.

Bletchley, do you have other Easter Eggs hiding in your Missions Mod? Enquiring Minds want to Know!

OlPaint

OlPaint, you will have to fly bomber-type missions in a Quiet sector in 1918 if you want to meet Beatrice. The pigeons are the tools of her trade - need I say more? Very hush-hush...You will be instructed to fly across the lines on a lone wolf mission, with 0 ammunition load (the pigeon-crates take up all the space otherwise occupied by guns and ammunition), and to land her in a field near a designated factory.

Has anyone met her yet?

Bletchley :)

That's it then ... historical accuracy be damned ... I'm going quiet on all sectors!

It isn't really an Easter Egg, as these missions did take place. It shouldn't come up very often, and as there are not many Quiet sectors in 1918 and it is a bomber-type mission then I guess it is just that no player has come across her yet. I think, from memory, that she works only for the British, but without checking the other nation's mission files I cannot be certain of this :)

Bletchley

If ever there was a reason to make me try campaign mode... I like it, I want to meet Beatrice!