Seriously, and what good what that do??? how would/could it be utilized? to defend the Home Island against Godzilla/Mothra/King Gidorah???

you forget (or don't know) the basic premise of ALL terrains made for this series, it being a Combat flight game:

"There must be at least 2 sides, defined as ENEMY and FRIENDLY, for the engine to work properly"

(not taking into account, however, the 'off map basing' used in NA. Which in some cases, can be unrealistic)

SF2NA is exactly the example of why someone might want a dedicated Japan map.

Higher resolution of Japan for fighting on Japan.

Can't fault someone for asking even if you don't want or need it yourself?

ok, right. whatever

you're telling this to guy that MAKES most of the terrains for this game

Other than "completely" fictional campaigns I don't see the need for a whole map of Japan.

Think about it though, a Japanese Civil War campaign, communist north vs capitalist south.

I should finish my Hokkaido map now that it looks like making new terrains for NA isn't going to happen.

or, in an 'alternate universe', what happens 5 years after WW2, takes place in a divided Japan -- communist north and Western south. (read it in a book somewheres...) Can you imagine the battle on Kanto Plain????

---

not so much making terrains 'NA-style, lod driven'; old style terrains still work just fine. Still have to finish Central America, and "The Real Deal Korea" is actually finished ... just need to finish off all the 1950s aircraft. The terrain will be quite usable all the way to 2050 (as always with my stuff)

or, in an 'alternate universe', what happens 5 years after WW2, takes place in a divided Japan -- communist north and Western south. (read it in a book somewheres...) Can you imagine the battle on Kanto Plain????

Now I will LOVE to read that, specially If is in a book. Wondering what the japanese can fly for then. As lots of veterans will like to fight against the commies.

Seriously, and what good what that do??? how would/could it be utilized? to defend the Home Island against Godzilla/Mothra/King Gidorah???

you forget (or don't know) the basic premise of ALL terrains made for this series, it being a Combat flight game:

"There must be at least 2 sides, defined as ENEMY and FRIENDLY, for the engine to work properly"

(not taking into account, however, the 'off map basing' used in NA. Which in some cases, can be unrealistic)

That'll be cool, although the player will be "lunch" alot, but it'll be cool to try to attack the monsters :P.

Falcon

Kevin I see no reason jumping on dsawan for asking as you did, dedicated Japan map, presumably with parts of China/Soviet Union could have plenty of possibilities in my opinion from post-WW2 soviet attack (Kuril Islands!) onwards, with US involvement for various reasons (like, well, being on the islands!)

Also China going nuts a bit earlier and doing full-scale invasion during peak of Korea conflict

nope, he stated he wants "japan only". Maybe FS would be a better game for his use? Time and time again we've explained why, what and how to do things -- and you know how long it takes to make an accurate terrain as well as I--. Look in the 'WhatIf Forum' for a similiar request, and some kind soul even outlined the entire procedure on what to do.

Because of all the recent crap, both here (what with all the patch nonsense, The Stalker returning and other things) and RealLife ™, I may have been a little harsher then usual, but that's the way it goes. Maybe from now on, I should just do the smart thing, and completly ignore such posts. Let someone with more paitence explain the 'ways of the (game) world' to folks.

Now, OTH, if we had the full East Asia map - the Home Islands (all 4), the Kuriles, the Soviet Union (Vladivostok region), Korea, and China down to (a usable) Port Arthur*, THEN we would have a worthwhile map. But having the Home Island themselves is worse than useless.

I do like Falcon's response ... everybody loves japanese monster movies!!! Now, we just need a 3d Guru to give the beasts!

(*my maternal grandfather was around there in 1906, with the rest of the Russian army/navy, getting it's ass handed to it!)

I misunderstood opening post then -if we'd make Japan only map it would have too little water around for any good naval ops -as you said better to have some enemy to fight agains, so roger on that. Also given the physical layout of terra there (see pic above) you have to include some Chinese/Russian landmass

Salute to your grandfather Kevin! (mine had some issues with Russian army back in Great War, apparently they didn't liked young Austro-Hungarians)

as for bigger map... wasn't there one by Lexx covering all Asia, called the Million miles map or something like that?

Well, I have this old, old wip on my HDD:-

http://combatace.com/topic/46880-kurile-islands-campaign-remember-usnf-97/

Check out posts #11 - #15 for planning map/screens.

Development stalled after Kamchatka terrain preview release, then my old school Iceland terrain took priority, but if there's interrest I can dig it up out of the vaults. . .

It will take a long time to get it to releasable state, don't all hold your breath :dntknw::blink:

Having a lot of fun with Baltika's UK/Ireland only terrain with the scenario that part of the islands have been invaded or taken over another way by the Commies. And how about the two fine Kiwi maps ? All great stuff, :good:, guess Japan could be handled the same way ....

Japan terrain would fit perfect for my F-104J Eiko project...

My wishes are for a Japan + korea + vladivostok+ kurili islands map for a Japan defend campaign agaist China, URSS and North korea .... very very cool :good: