Its a game. We're not going to be spending hundreds of thousands of dollars modeling different fuze sensors and warhead types' date=' just to arrive at the exact same game from the player perspective.

TK

--[/quote']

sorry but I call utter BS on that TK, no offense... I mean the "spending hundreds of thousands of dollars modelling different fuze sensors"... C'mon your budget excuse has worn off for me, also who on earth would need such costs to do 2,3 different fuse modelling (CRW perpendicular to warhead, spherical, coned) in the first and foremost?

Sorry guys but I have had enough... The claim that it would cost him "hundreds of thousands of dollars" "modeling different fuze sensors and warhead types" is plain stupid. I don't like being treated like an idiot, and now I fell like I am. By TK. Openly.

I am pissed, beware! It's not that I don't give a s**t about fuze modelling, I do TBH, even more about flak burst fragmentation patterns or apparent lack there of, I'm just plain tired of the same "thousands of dollars" excuses I hear again and again since I joined the forums

See, I won't call the names (you know who you are guys) but there are few individuals who say -what if TK isn't that good at programming?:diablo:

Such responses are what kills every will do play and mod this series. And I love this series. The lead programmer will induce me schizophrenia I tell you that!

//rant off

Edited by Stary
  • Like 8
  • Dislike 1

What bothers me the most is not the money excuse, but the fact that he has a good, simple way of lowering costs.

What if for example, instead of making a brand new Tomcat for SF2: NA purchased the Mirage Factory one? I am still convinced that would have been cheaper. Everything that is not bolted down to the floor (Hard coded) can be changed by Modders. But he does not wish to use us in that capacity. There are quite a few mods here that could even be their own SF2 games / expansions.

And if we are just the tadpool in the pond, so much better ! Then the majority who buy his games without going into detail about mods will be none the wiser.

That's just being lazy. i bet you guys could pull it off. make the fuze sensors and then post it on his site just to shove it in.

THank you very much for this post, Stary. You have balls i dont have to say it openly as first. I had same feel. I stopped pointing to obvious issues or small enhancements that can make big immersion boost (like internal/external sound - its about flag in sound system and define that flag for eaxh sound so you cant hear outside sounds in pit and get different engine grumble inside pit, even Ace combat on PS2 has this!) on TK's forum. Always got same $$$ answer. In my spare time i code BMS Falcon. I know most of issues i reported are small and easy to fix by one afternoon of coding. All that $$$ and "Its game" is BS to me as well. I am generaly finished with series after i bought all to NA and every patch broke more and more. Lets say to TK "Thanks for all fish, we go". Tk's "Its game" getting uterly old. Question is if we still want play "this game". Me not.

Edited by ataribaby
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

What bothers me the most is not the money excuse, but the fact that he has a good, simple way of lowering costs.

I stopped believing in his claims of costs of doing things. Is it really that expensive to squish new tileset for say SF2Vietnam that looks on par with IsraelME one (best in the series as everyone will tell you) and not like the one you had in a title 5 years earlier?!

The very interesting topic by nolimitsoya about fuze modelling and TK's reply is just typical example of what I'm talking about, in fact there's really no room for discussion there for me as then allways the "hundreds of thousand dollars" shows in.

Ohh, I bet making new clouds bitmaps for SF2NA would cost him, please all: hundreds of thousand dollars. Thank you. (All I needed were few nice scattered days and a camera)

In my spare time i code BMS Falcon. I know most of issues i reported are small and easy to fix by one afternoon of coding. All that $$ and "Its game" is BS to me as well.

ataribaby I know zero about programming but I don't think that coding few fuze types would take more than a weekend, especiall by programmer that (now no longer so obvious to me...) did all the coding from day one, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm with you stary on this the Sim/game is full of bugs and has been since day one and TK has just added more .As for SFNA well lots of the old bugs and a few more terrain looks like crap bland boring and some funny coloured buildings. Key bindings not working ,stutttttttering 60s-avionics .Personally i think the modders here could probably make something better.....

Personally i think the modders here could probably make something better.....

Already do to an extend to be fair, but some things can't be changed without TK's not changing his mind how the series should look and play. I know I know, his business, his titles, his (false IMO) definition of fun. But one must remember it's our money.

-

My general view on the matter regarding the series is the best way would be to make it kind of like Wings of Prey/War Thunder -pretty graphics (Thirdwire models are among best after all, terrains are worse than late 1990!!!) lots of shaking cockpits and shaking external cameras, simulation part as it is now with slight improvements (separate engines controls, flame extinguishers) reworked ground objects behaviour, fixed sounds and subtitles. Replays! Then multiplayer title

Actually, why do clouds still look like sith, while they keep making skin packs (after all the moaning, that high quality skins are expensive as heck)?

Actually, why do clouds still look like sith, while they keep making skin packs (after all the moaning, that high quality skins are expensive as heck)?

Because anything that isn't planes can be f-ugly in TW sims? Proof? Check SF2:NA mainscreen :this:

I'm starting to honestly believe TK doesn't know how to code his own game to be honest. Maybe he never did in the first place, he's always hired other people to do it for him. I don't know. But the constant excuses make me wonder, because you see all these indie devs out there that code new features in mere days, and TK can't even make simple revisions to the sim on his own.

Maybe his complaints about costs for fixing or bringing in new features is because he has to hire a coder to do it. Maybe its time he let go of his misplaced pride and admitted the truth?

I guess in the end it doesn't matter. Not like we can force him to do anything with his product sadly enough. I think its time we put a group together here at combatace to start exploring what realism changes we can make to the sim externally, like a combined realism mod that goes into the ini's and weapons data files to try to get the game to be more what we want it to be, and would be a simple installation. Right now everything is kind of spread across mods and ini edits, can be a bit overwhelming for newer players.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

my thoughts exactly, but put more openly GrinchWSLG

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

ataribaby I know zero about programming but I don't think that coding few fuze types would take more than a weekend, especiall by programmer that (now no longer so obvious to me...) did all the coding from day one, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep you are right. To me he just started to be stubborn to any new idea. Its all that small detials when sum up that makes game special.

I'm starting to honestly believe TK doesn't know how to code his own game to be honest. Maybe he never did in the first place, he's always hired other people to do it for him. I don't know. But the constant excuses make me wonder, because you see all these indie devs out there that code new features in mere days, and TK can't even make simple revisions to the sim on his own.

Maybe his complaints about costs for fixing or bringing in new features is because he has to hire a coder to do it. Maybe its time he let go of his misplaced pride and admitted the truth?

I guess in the end it doesn't matter. Not like we can force him to do anything with his product sadly enough. I think its time we put a group together here at combatace to start exploring what realism changes we can make to the sim externally, like a combined realism mod that goes into the ini's and weapons data files to try to get the game to be more what we want it to be, and would be a simple installation. Right now everything is kind of spread across mods and ini edits, can be a bit overwhelming for newer players.

Dont think so its a case. TK coded EAW and LB2 or parts of it. He must be genius if he put together first generaton SF game (although based on EAW terrain i belive) I think its become simply too much for one guy to keep all in head about code and data and its relations as game growed up from first generation. I believe its started to be over his head. Simply. I love his games. I waited to every new patch from SF first generation. Was happy for every new release. That times are gone...

Edited by ataribaby

When I read a subject like this, it makes me hate myself even more for not being able to mod.

You guys are so right on so many aspects here. When SFP1 was first released, yeah, it was acceptable. But even back then I was a little dissapointed with the ground detail, but I imersed myself, in the sense of "how much would a pilot at high speed and low level see, anyway?" So, after the initial one series, we get Series 2. I started to hope that things were going to look better, as computer hardware was getting better, and so were rendering techniques, but no, we just got the same old thing.

When I purchased SFNA, I was nothing short of disgusted by the quality of the water. I mean, FFS, TK appears to have not even tried. Same goes for things like the opening screen, music etc.

Outside of the Strike Fighters series, I fly FSX, and I tell you, some of my unedited screen shots are light years ahead of this SF series.

And then, we get the talented people here, who I believe are the real people who have kept this game alive for so long. Whenever I see updates by people like Stary, I just jump on it and download them right away, because I already know the quality I am going to get from it.

I'm sure TK has made SOME money from this series, and his piss-poor excuses will not wash with me any more. What will the next release be? more F-4's over a different coloured "new" terrain tile set? I will wait and see, but until I see MAJOR graphical improvements, I will purchase no more.

I feel for all of the modders here at CombatAce. Yes, it may be true that you may want to model a particular aircraft/terrain for yourself, or even for the satisfaction of being able to do it, but also, indirectly, you are keeping TK's sim alive for him, probably much longer than it would have been. Also, nobody is being rewarded, or even getting a thank you. I often wonder if TK lurks around this forum.

If this sim ever does come crashing down, and people lose interest, I know it will be only TK to blame. As a Network Engineer, I do not now work with the same tools and skills that I was ten years ago.

Thanks Stary; thanks Dave et al. This is and will also be a great community, but at this stage, if any or all of you decided to pack up your tents, I would certainly understand why.

Regards,

Andrew.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Tk's claim is false.

PROOF:

There was a camel plane for first eagles in the downloads section of combatace before the first eagles expansion was out. The camel of the expansion is exactly the same that was here for download with a few changes (a new windscreen and few more). And when the expasion was out, the camel that was here for free vanished. It's clearl to me that TK bought that plane to the modder that made it and made some eye candy changes. I don't think TK paid thousands of hundreds of dollars for that 3D model,

I don't know about SF series since i don't like modern planes, but the only difference between first eagles gold and first eagles 2 is that FE2 has bump mapping for the planes... and since the day FE2 was released the Fokker DR.I doesn't have bump mapping in the lower wing and no patch has been released to fix this "bug".

You know Stary..... the future of TW is the smartphone and tablet market. They don't have time or will for fuse setting.

Here is a preview of the next title. :bye:

post-16385-0-61104900-1341836915.jpg

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

Lets get a team and do the realism mod....we have plenty of terrains, etc....

But think about it: The team break down

Stary on effects/environmental mods natually.....

Crusader, me, Grinch, ravenclaw on weapons.....

Spillone, Caesar, JSF_Aggie, Jat, eburger and ST0RM on aircraft ini modifications....

And of course anyone who wants to pick a catagory can jump in. These were just off the top of my head.

Then once this is done, we can suggest it as what to install first once you have first installed or patched the game.

We can rant and rave about how we think TK is doing and is or going or we can, as we have been, taking care of ourselves.

• Like 3

LOL....That is Priceless!!!!!

LOL Spillone!!!:drinks:

@Dave: sort of global realism pack title/pathc level nondependant? I happen to have some realistic (no big hollywoodish balls of gasoline) effects laying somewhere...

Crusaders avionics updates are must-have, strangely judging by in-cockpits shots not alot is using these

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Yeah one global pack that is the first thing you install. A must have mod if you will.

Crusader on avionics and QA of course.

We can pick the team and between us we have a ton of reference material we can share. I think we the amount of talent we have here, it could be an epic must have mod. So should I start a new thread looking for who is in?

Dave: Lets do it.

I can help with Campaigns.

Guys, just reminding everybody.....how much do you pay to play TW and how much do you pay to play a high-fidelity flight sims such as X plane 10 or DCS?

i have spent the half of the money buying the TW titles that i have spent buyinf F4.0(30$); F4.0AF(40$); DCS Blackshark(50$) and A-10C(50$), Lock on(50$), FSX(50$) and IL-2(30$).

Ofcourse i'm willing to pay more for a better game, however, TK's goal is clearly to keep a low cost game for everybody, mainly because he can't compete in the supa-dupa reallistic games.

and after all, the game can't be sell only for modding, he needs to sell it working out of the box.

just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

...he needs to sell it working out of the box...

Ehm....

• Like 2

he needs to sell it working out of the box.

indeed he need that...

Yuri you mentioned various titles that have one thing in common: they work out of the box and don't need helluva modding to be up to their release date standards, in fact all of those made new standards at release