Well folks here is the official thread for this project. Sign up here and I will make a list of who is doing what. From there when you have done your mod upload it here. Now I suspect with it mostiy being ini mods/edits. It wont take up much space.

So format your mods like we have been for installation purposes.

Also what you mod is so we dont run into duplicates that overwrite someones elses work.

Finally what SF2 title the mod is used for and or required. i.e. an A-10 mod you wold need SF2:Europe

Some ideas fo rmods.

A mod to change the pilots and seats in stock aircraft.

Weapons data.ini edits for any aircaft you feel like doing.

Edits to current weapons pack to realistic values.

Campaign edits.

What I will do is compile the mod into test cells and release them for all to try. Then we can tweak and edit as needed.

Any questions?

I can help with Campaign Edits

I can also help as a Beta Tester.

Some of the brainstorming about what might be done to Campaigns in order to make them more realistic:

Adjust Campaigns to any new / edited terrain we may enter into this thing.

Update old campaigns with new scripts (SF2: NA Standard).

Fine tune the flow of Supply, reinforcements etc.

Edited by JonathanRL

if we cant make one big "SF2 Realism" mod, then they should be a Series:

ie:

SF2 Realism Series - 1st Person Views

SF2 Realism Series - Weapons Performance

SF2 Realism Series - Aircraft Flight Model

etc etc

For 1st person views:

Every Seat needs to be moved back a lil and up, and angled down.

the Cockpit Cameras in the View List need to have the FoV values adjusted.

Feel free to use any of my A-6/EA-6B stuff. I'm making an effort toward realism in the first place.

HR

What we need you to do is make an basic A-6 series package of just ini edits to a basic install. That way if someone is too intimiated to to use your full A-6 mod they have a fall back so to speak.

Dave,

I have:

- more accurate loadouts for all stock F-4's.

- SF2 Desert campaigns with carriers added and stock aircraft from other titles added

- A-10A loadouts

- GAU8 effects (smoke, tracers removed, sound)

- I may have a few other things as well... I'll have to check later...

HR

What we need you to do is make an basic A-6 series package of just ini edits to a basic install. That way if they are too intimiated to to use your full A-6 mod they have a fall back so to speak.

Homefries - I can supply my versions of the A-6A and A-6E's that I did in parallel with helping you with your super pack. It's a collection of just .ini edits (loadouts and weapon stations) of the stock aircraft that is ready for a cockpit to be dropped in (basically what Dave is asking for).

Edited by malibu43
  • Like 1

You nailed it Malibu. Thats the kind of stuff we are looking for.

Roger that. I'll be sure to add my prowler ini files when they're ready.

I have some effects for my unified fx pack that were'nt released so far, need cleaning up (too many unused textures calls etc) before uploading though

Another thing to consider when putting this pack together would be to (as much as possible) use only files that are not as often affected by patching. For examples, loadout.ini files don't get updated that often (or even if they do, using old versions don't cause problems). Data.ini files do get updated and can cause all kinds of issues if you're using an out of date version. The last thing we want is another awesome mod package that gets broken after each patch and is a huge PIA to update.

Dave, I assume you'll be keeping this in mind and have final say about what goes in and what doesn't.

Dave,

This might also be a great opportunity to consolidate a community SQUADRONLIST.INI. While the SQUADRONLIST.INI file has been updated in the last two patches, the beauty is that you can assign blank placeholders for patches. For example, I did a Squadronlist that includes new A-6 squadrons, all of the Prowler squadrons, and a few other squadrons for expansion. I started them at 450 (back when 397 was the max) and just put in blank placeholders for 399-449.

This has the potential to get everybody on the same page while still allowing for maximum flexibility at least for the next 45 or so officially added squadrons.

Edited by HomeFries

I was thinking that to Mal. We need to come up with a list of files that we know gets affected by a patch and keep the editing to a minimum in that regard.

As I have limited skills (and time), I might be able to help beta test.....

But if you have any reference questions, please ask!

JB

We can also add my AAA pack. It's almost all .ini files, hasn't ever been affected by patching, and doesn't interfere with any other mods.

it's a must have, your pack!

Excellent guys. Unfortunately I can't be too helpful in the short term, but in November I'll be visiting the USAF Armament Museum and the National Naval Air Museum. I'll be gathering loads of data at both locations, specifically for modeling weapons. If there's anything anyone needs that might be at those locations give me a shout before November and I'll note it for the trip.

Okay one thing I would love is correct loadouts for the A-4s we have on here I have the material on the Scooter to last me 3 lifetimes and all the models and makes... and to also mod the data ini as well so that we can put 4 winders onto an A-4 and have asymmetrical loadouts. I tried last year to mod up an A-4M but that fell by the wayside as I found I am not the best modeller in the world... I do know how to mod the ini files though so I could create correct A-4 Bomb ini files if anyone wants them starting with the B C E and F and then work on the rest that we have...

We can also add my AAA pack. It's almost all .ini files, hasn't ever been affected by patching, and doesn't interfere with any other mods.

As to that pack its downright lethal and good fun to fly with... :good:

Slart. Get to modding some Scooters my friend. Ini edits would be perfect.

one thing on squadronlists, they can be so big per theater that we may want to make one per Vietnam, Germany, Isreal and North Atlantic. just think of all the squadrons in Germany alone if you bring all NATO in.......

Unless we are adding a bunch of skins for aircraft (which I'm not sure if it's in the intended scope), I'm not sure if there would be a point in adding squadronlist.ini to this mod.

It would be nice to have though to cover what we can find and DA has done a lot of work on one.

If we have a different squadronlist.ini for the different theaters, what would I use for a fully merged install?

For me personally, skins start to cross the line from "necessary enhancement for stock game" to stuff that's better suited for the big, conflict specific mods (ODS, Suez, SF2V AGXP, NF, etc...), but that is just my opinion. To be fair, I'm not much of a skin person in general, so maybe I'm not the best person to give opinions on them.

We don't need to have skins with them but just having a well put together list is always handy.

We don't need to have skins with them but just having a well put together list is always handy.
Ah... I see (see, I told you I don't know anything about skins!). But my other question/comment still stands - I would try to at least have one squadronlist.ini that can be used in all titles (or merged titles). And then the theater specific ones could be optional.

I'm excited about this mod. This series has needed something like this for a loooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time. I hope we don't screw it up! :grin:

Dave - If some of my contributions are already in the download section, want me to just link them in this thread?

Edited by malibu43

Having an integrated squadronlist across all installs (as opposed to theater specific squadronlists) would allow people to create common decals across multiple skins, all without conflicting with others. For example, if we know that the Prowler squadrons are 455-474, then we could add level 1 decals that can be used across the board. This could be separate from the realism pack (especially since it is by its nature a dynamic datafile), but this seems to be a good place to discuss its standardization.