:lol: HR. i'm now convinced that to get what we need on a deployment, Army units need to email the unit ahead of them to request the stuff. and thats the radip system! still got a bunch of cool stuff over the years from the warehouse just cause "that unit left "...

back on topic will start mergeing inis tonight. will put your squadrons first at 501, then add my Phantoms (looks like it'll start round 532) going to 572. then as Dave says time to go crazy.

when this is all over Dave starts the wrap party by announcing pawn jumps queen! :rofl:

Ok, I'll upload another squadronlist.ini later, then start renaming my TGA files at 501 to cover down. If you start with mine as a baseline, that will ensure compatibilty and safety from fat-fingering initial entries.

EDIT: on second thought, I'll start my entries at 551 instead of 501. This makes for a much easier effort for renaming a bunch of files, and also reduces the likelihood of screwing up the order. Feel free to fill up 501-550 as you see fit.

Edited by HomeFries

DA,

Here's the latest squadronlist.ini. In addition to squadrons I've used, you'll notice the 3 RN FAA squadrons (entries 578-580). These are the Harrier squadrons from the Falklands mod. I don't have decals for these yet, but was adding the entries for future flexibility. If it helps to sort your grouping better, please feel free to move these in front of 551, as it won't affect any of my level 1 decals.

Also, if you catch any fat-fingering errors in the file, please let me know so I can correct it on my end as well.

SQUADRONLIST.zip

Edited by HomeFries

ok then. at the hospital but its more making sure something wasnt missed than oh crap bleeding emergency. i will post my Phantoms after your naval units, and prob back date some naval units into 501-550. any navy there are several in the nations.ini. but priorty to USN, USMC and RN in that order. was gonna have to reorder the nums on my TGAs anyhow just made the job bigger!

Hopefully my renumbering didn't screw up your plans. BTW, if you can move things by a factor of 10 or 100, you can use the "ren" command in a DOS window to do your dirty work. Obviously, if you can change 5?? to 6??, you can do 100 TGAs at a time, which is why I renumbered the way I did.

Edited by HomeFries

Here's a couple more thoughts or suggestions for this mod:

1. Dave or Crusader or whoever works on the weapons pack - Assuming TK doesn't fix the soviet naval SAMs in a patch, maybe we could tweak all them so that they are more than just for show. If TK fixes something later, we could just delete those from the weapons pack.

2. What about a collection of a few HUDDATA.ini's? These would obviously be in a separate "optional" folder in the download, but it might be cool to include a few of our favorite customized HUDDATA.ini files so that new users can quickly drop them in and try them to see which one they like. For example, all I have left on mine is my own a/c speed, heading, and alt plus a little black dot to mark my visual target. I know others have all info removed except for a red dot marking the target. I don't know, just a thought... Then again, maybe it's something that everyone customizes to his/her own taste and there's no point in including them.

Edited by malibu43

HR how does this trick work? i have around 75 decals in each of three folders to work with so any cheat i can learn is appreciated. as for numbering no worries i have plenty of ideas to fill in gaps here and there. ANG units, VFs VA's VMFA's etc. would be cool if i can just bump my Phantom mod from 4xx for the nonstock squadrons too 6xx and not worry bout it though. my current method has been a royal PITA!

Brennus

I would like to request a menu set for the realism pack. Something...high tech looking...with the title screen saying something like SF2: Realism Mod 1.0. Music if you feel like it too. Please...

I'll see what I can do.

HR how does this trick work? i have around 75 decals in each of three folders to work with so any cheat i can learn is appreciated. as for numbering no worries i have plenty of ideas to fill in gaps here and there. ANG units, VFs VA's VMFA's etc. would be cool if i can just bump my Phantom mod from 4xx for the nonstock squadrons too 6xx and not worry bout it though. my current method has been a royal PITA!

The first thing I always do is make a copy of the folder in which I am working, just so if I screw something up I can always go to my originals. When using the command prompt (and no safety net), it's very easy to screw this up.

open up a command window (i.e. DOS prompt) in the folder you want to manipulate. Little known technique: shift-right click on the folder you want to open the prompt in, then select "open command window here".

at the dos prompt, you can do wildcard renaming conventions that (AFAIK) you can't do straight from windows. For example, if all of my A6 tails (filenames A6TailL000.tga and A6TailR000.tga) were 451-480 (they were), and I wanted to change them to 551-580 (I did), then I could enter the following command at the DOS prompt:

ren A6Tail?4??.tga A6Tail?5??.tga

Since the question mark is a single character wildcard (as opposed to the * which is a global wild), the existing numbers will remain intact, with the only things changing being the difference in arguments (e.g. 4 to 5). You'll even notice that I was able to wildcard the L or R part of the file, which means it works for both sides of the tail art. Just for best practice, I spell out the entire filename except for the desired wildcards just to make sure that I only rename files I'm targeting.

If you want to do jumps of something like 50, you will need to do them 10 at a time instead of 100 at a time (like my last example). To renumber from the 00 series to 50 series, the line would look like this:

ren A6Tail??0?.tga A6Tail??5?.tga

Note the two question marks in front of the middle digit. The first wildcard is again for the Left/Right tail, and should not be confused with a 4 digit number.

Next line would be

ren A6Tail??1?.tga A6Tail??6?.tga

and so on until you renumbered your files.

Hope this helps.

Edited by HomeFries

Following this project on the side line made me wondering if this mod is going to be the base of all future mods? Or is it just meant to spice stock installs up to show TK what he can do for a minimal effort to improve things out of the box?

Following this project on the side line made me wondering if this mod is going to be the base of all future mods? Or is it just meant to spice stock installs up to show TK what he can do for a minimal effort to improve things out of the box?

why not both

and HR had less non stock squadrons decals than i thought (only 36 versus all 80 some units most were in the stock unit list) so i putz'd with it and finished before reading your response. however that is a cool tip. Dave would it be possible to link that to the KB?

Edited by daddyairplanes

When I suggested it I was thinking of the second part of your suggestion. But I think there's a lot of benefit to making a download that takes care of all the must have basics in the view of the CombatAce community. If TK doesn't want to represent this user base then we'll just have to go around him. I have no doubts as to the talents of this bunch of half witted scruffy looking nerf herders.

I look at this mod as the foundation for future mods. As long as you have the SF2 realism patch loaded, you don't need to worry about deconflicting weapons, environmentals, INIs, etc. from other mods that conform to the standard. That, and a basic "you should really get started with this".

Edit: and there goes Dave flexing his guns again. He calls me HR (as opposed to HF), and pretty soon everybody else is covering down. :rofl:

Edited by HomeFries

sorry HF, tho i was wondering where HR come from :grin:

just so long as he doesnt call anyone piss boy. (yea still got history of the world pt 1 on the brain!)

Edit: and there goes Dave flexing his guns again. He calls me HR (as opposed to HF), and pretty soon everybody else is covering down. :rofl:

Sorry HF...... :lol:

mal(ibu) :grin: ,

I was going through the A-6B loadouts last night, and I noticed that the loadout for Recon had two ALQ-76 pods. Did the stock A-6 (or B in this case) use the Q76, or was that only for the EA-6A? I read online (which must be true :laugh: ) that the Q76 was used exclusively for the EA-6A, so I have removed it and replaced it with drop tanks unless you can tell me differently. It's truly a moot point since nobody was operationally dumb enough to waste a B on a tactical recon, but if the campaign generator ends up doing the moronic we might as well send it on its way with accuracy.

BTW, the A-6 Superpack 1.5 is done and undergoing smoke testing. I'll upload my data INI, weapon, sound, and fakepilot files shortly.

Edited by HomeFries

HR - I mean HF,

Which A-6B were you looking at? I haven't touched any A-6B loadouts in a long time. The only ones I've ever worked on would be for the Vietnam AGXP, but thosr have ptobably been worked over by eburger since I last worked on them. I have no idea what pods should be on there. And, like you said, who's taking it on a recon run anyway?

Is the 'B' going in the realism mod? The problem with dedicated SEAD A/C in SF2 is that the game will assign them on SEAD missions where the primary task is taking out guns, in which case a 'B' would be useless with its ARMs. And I dont know how many people would actually fly them or notice them. For that reason, it might be better to not include SEAD variants and stick with the TW approach of adding ARMs to the other variants. Then if someone really wants to add an A-6B or F-4G they can get them from your superpack or other appropriate download.

Edited by malibu43

malibu,

A agree with you as far as adding the B into the realism pack. With no specialized SAM suppression mission (and for that matter, no way to limit the A to the Shrike alone for ARMs), there's really no upside to adding it globally. I add it to the superpack for completeness, but I was just reviewing datafiles when I saw it. I figured I would ask the question, though I was not planning on adding it per se.

Now the SWIP, on the other hand, I do plan on adding. I figure just add a standard extracted gull grey skin for that, and let people download the superpack to get the more accurate LV skins. This will put the SWIP in the RP, but won't have to be updated every time I get a bug up my a$$ and decide to re-skin the planes.

BTW, I love your AAA mod. I just tried it for the first time while smoke testing the A-6A, and the noise over the target almost made me jump out of my seat! On a related note, since the latest A-6 pack uses some of the TMF F-14 sounds (stall horn and overspeed), I need to add the SOUNDLIST.INI to the pack. I've integrated your AAA and GAU-8 updates along with the TMF sounds into mine, which I will release with the superpack and submit here for the RP along with the rest of my work once it is done testing.

Edited by HomeFries

The problem with adding the SWIP is that we'd be extending the scope of the game almost 10 years. That means we'd need all the appropriate weapons and ground objects to span the period, as well as all the additional red and blue aircraft. Essentially all the stuff from ODS plus some. I'll let Dave make the call, but my vote would be to enhance the stock planeset and time frame and leave expanding it to all the other mods that are already out there.

Fair enough. I can always add the datafiles and Dave can choose not to incorporate them.

I'll let Dave make the call, but my vote would be to enhance the stock planeset and time frame and leave expanding it to all the other mods that are already out there.

I agree with you Mal....but we can add them as a folder with optional extras for advanced users.

Dave,

If it's not going in the main install, it shouldn't be going in at all. Since we're talking about a baseline, it should be an all or nothing affair, with the only options being things that won't impart or require any other dependencies. Since someone could create a 1990 campaign using the SWIP, it's easier just to have them require the A-6 Superpack.

prob my only contribution this weekend as i am at drill, but why not a light and Heavy packages? simple ini edits, rwr and such as a base to enhance and possibly build future mods off of, and a heavy with planes and such to add what TK hasn't for the stock game years (56-82). keep it inline with the stock campaigns but adding say the A-6B and F-105G for SAM suppresion.

also i know Dave said go crazy AND dont over think it. but would there be interest in adding say 50 Transport squadrons in the squadronlist? already plane to do some US Army attack BNs (Vietnam and Germany dontcha know)

prob my only contribution this weekend as i am at drill, but why not a light and Heavy packages? simple ini edits, rwr and such as a base to enhance and possibly build future mods off of, and a heavy with planes and such to add what TK hasn't for the stock game years (56-82). keep it inline with the stock campaigns but adding say the A-6B and F-105G for SAM suppresion.

also i know Dave said go crazy AND dont over think it. but would there be interest in adding say 50 Transport squadrons in the squadronlist? already plane to do some US Army attack BNs (Vietnam and Germany dontcha know)

The thing is, NF4/5 and the SF2V AGXP already have they "heavy" version covered. So it seems like we'd have two mods that do the same thing, although this newer one would probably never be as good as NF4+ (for example) so I'm not sure how much it would be used. If there's stuff that NF or the AGXP are missing, then let's add it there.