Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Beatrice!

Only days after discovering her existence I, or rather 2nd Lt. James Fairley - 5 Squadron RAF, was given a mission to transport the elusive Beatrice - and her pigeons!

21st October 1918, take off 10:01 from Bapaume airfield - I'm afraid we can't reveal her destination, for security reasons.

She was a game gal, and her disguise was incredible - she looked just like one of our observers. Despite this, Lt. Fairley was rather taken with her, and composed this piece of doggerel in her honour;

Oh Beatrice, oh Beatrice,

La belle aviatrix,

Bold and mysterious spy.

If we get through this war,

Together we'll soar,

And your pigeons will make a nice pie!

Not my cup of tea particularly, but Lt. Fairley seems rather chuffed with it.

Edited by Wayfarer

Is recently EVERYone speaking in cryptic terms here??? Who is Beatrice - if you don't mean the Dutch Queen???

Oh Beatrice, oh Beatrice,

La belle aviatrix,

Bold and mysterious spy.

If we get through this war,

Together we'll soar,

And your pigeons will make a nice pie!

:rofl: Classic, Wayfarer. You've just made my afternoon.

Olham, Bletchley knows more about her than I do. Our acquaintance was only brief. His post in my recent Amiens1918 thread may give you some clues. I fear to say any more in case the lady's cover is compromised.

Suffice to say, it's not just the single seater boys that have all the fun!

Well, now you've ruined it! And I was looking forward to meeting a virtual Mata Hari! It's like in the Charlie Brown halloween show, when Sally cries 'You kept me up all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, and all I get was a stupid beagle!"

(good on ya, mate!) :good: except the poetry was, shall we say, a bit plebeian? :grin:

Edited by HumanDrone

:rofl: Classic, Wayfarer. You've just made my afternoon.

Glad to hear it.

Well, now you've ruined it! And I was looking forward to meeting a virtual Mata Hari! It's like in the Charlie Brown halloween show, when Sally cries 'You kept me up all night waiting for the Great Pumpkin, and all I get was a stupid beagle!"

(good on ya, mate!) :good: except the poetry was, shall we say, a bit plebeian? :grin:

One of my all time favourite Charlie Brown episodes!

And yes ... I fear Lt. Fairley's talents lie elsewhere.

Seriously now: is there a mission, where you two-seat guys transport a spy? Or was that a user-built mission?

Seriously now: is there a mission, where you two-seat guys transport a spy? Or was that a user-built mission?

Olham, she is from Bletchley's mods. Apparently you need to be flying two seaters in a quiet sector in 1918. I don't know if that's for the whole of 1918 or just part of it, because he didn't say. He revealed it just a few days ago in a reply to one of my posts querying whether a certain sector of the front should be classed as 'quiet'. I jokingly said I would count all sectors as quiet in that case ... and a few missions later, there she was!

So Bletchley has added some special missions? I didn't know that.

A great idea, especially to make the two-seaters' life more colourful.

I also use the Bletchley mods (the overworked ones from Buddy).

Maybe one day I'll have a special fighter mission - who knows...

Olham, the fighters have a 'wireless intercept' mission, but if Buddy has removed all the Lone Wolf missions you will not get it ?

Wayfarer, I am sure Beatrice, not her real name, of course, would have liked Lt. Fairley's poem, particularly if it came with a small bunch of violets (her favourite, but they must be freshly picked as, she says, the scent is so much better than pigeon poo).

Beatrice has been there from the start, so I am surprised no one has met her until now. Her disguise must be very good :)

Bletchley

... so much better than pigeon poo.

Bletchley

So that's what it was! We thought it was some really cheap French perfume; we didn't like to say anything.

In the meantime, Lt. Fairley has actually made it to the Armistice. So if 'Beatrice' survived her mission ... well you never know.

Now, where can a chap get fresh violets in November?

Olham, the fighters have a 'wireless intercept' mission, but if Buddy has removed all the Lone Wolf missions you will not get it ?

He hasn't removed them. I read he had made them work better (waypoints).

But they still work strange for me.

That was a very cool idea you added there, Bletch!

Edited by Olham

Lothar's OFFice allows one to switch from Bletchley's Missions to Buddy1998's Missions and back again with ease so you can choose to have Lone Wolfe or Squad based sorties at will.

OlPaint

Again: I am flying Buddy1998 activated, and I do get Lone Wolf missions.

Again: I am flying Buddy1998 activated, and I do get Lone Wolf missions.

From Buddy1998 himself, with emphasis added:

Now you can complete a mission using the waypoints on the map and it will be recorded as a sucessful mission. All missions will have wingmen, so no lone wolf mission types.

You always seem to have problems with the mods not working right, Olham. Again it's probably not installed/activated correctly. Hate to keep beating a dead horse, but the mod manager in OFFice will take care of everything for you so it all just works. Everyone else is enjoying the mission mods just fine.

And it also opens up the possibility of even more custom mission mods triggered by more specific conditions--Bletchley's working on one for training missions, for example.