Sign in to follow this  
MikeDixonUK

My new Joystick!

I don't know about you chaps, but I've been getting a tad bored of all these Joysticks that are replicas of F-16s or A-10s or F-22s or F-18s or whatever, and have 95 different back lit bright red buttons and 12 hat switches that make you a cup of tea while you fly around upside down.

Me, I'm more of a 1940s or earlier sort of a chap - and with that in mind, here's my new Joystick, it has no rudder control, and has a grand total of two buttons, one controls the wheel brakes and another goes DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA!, the SpitSim Short Spitfire Stick, a shortened replica of a Spitfire Mk. I Spade Grip:

spitstick7.png

spitstick8.png

Here's the full setup with my crappy old Transit Van chair:

spitstick2.png

And a comparison picture alongside my Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Force Feedback, which was my previous stick:

spitstick6.png

I must say it's a very different experience flying with a longer stick with a larger range, even if it does only go down to under the chair, rather than all the way to the floor - it's a much more physical experience compared to just flicking your wrist to fly a standard desk Joystick.

I still need to practice to get into the feel of the new way of flying, though I imagine it'll make it harder to fly / take more effort than with a normal stick, but then that's the point isn't it! this is the first half of the 20th century - it's not supposed to be easy. :grin:

As for the price, well let's just say it was either this or tickets to an Olympics Final. :heat:

But that feeling when you've got yourself lined up behind a Jerry, with your thumb hovering over that big ol' button - DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA-DAKA!

Edited by MikeDixonUK
  • Like 1

I don't know about you chaps, but I've been getting a tad bored of all these Joysticks that are replicas of...

Who makes this? Do they have any other interesting products?

The Short SpitStick is made by a company called SpitSim: http://www.spitsim.co.uk/

It's not listed on their website though for some reason (although mine was the first production model, so that might be why) - the only thing listed on the website is the complete Spitfire control set, which includes a full floor length stick, rudder pedals, throttle/mixture, landing gear control, elevator trim tab, etc - although it's very expensive (and yes I'd buy it if I had the money!)

I did get an email saying they were going to be adding some new projects to the website soon though, not sure what, mind.

Mike,

that looks very nice indeed.

I don't suppose it would be a ffb stick ?

I know what will happen when Lou sees your post, Mike! Mmuahahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Looking mighty good indeed, and I guess it must feel very much more like the real thing.

Now come on, give us the price - there are some users here who may be thinking of getting it.

OOOOOH Mike, that is sweet! A beautiful piece of work, and I'll bet it's a treat to fly with. I think I have another project for this coming winter. :smile:

MDUK,

Looks great! Can you lift the veil for us and take off the leather gaiter? What does the gimbal system look like? I understand SPITSIM is finally using hall effect sensors. How smooth is the action of the joystick?

A pix would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Cheers,

Flying Colander

MDUK,

Looks great! Can you lift the veil for us and take off the leather gaiter? What does the gimbal system look like? I understand SPITSIM is finally using hall effect sensors. How smooth is the action of the joystick?

A pix would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Cheers,

Flying Colander

Ditto to that! I think we now need more than a teaser Mike! Besides, I can almost see Lou drooling! :biggrin:

I'm especially curious as I thought I might take the plunge and "invest" in a Spadegrip Short Stick. Just wanted to have a good idea of the gimbal. For some reason a number of new sticks are entering the market at the high end.

z8l6.jpg

dsc9339.jpg

Lots of engineering talent out there.

Cheers,

FC

Hi chaps, sure - I can take a pic of it naked *ooh laa laa* but it won't be until at least tuesday unfortunately as I'm at Uni at the moment and the stick is at home.

It took a while to get used to having a longer stick with more 'throw' compared to a standard desk joystick, in so much as you have to over exaggerate your movements to get the full range, but after using it for a while I can say it's a lot smoother experience, I have to use a MS Sidewinder 2 at uni and it just doesn't feel as accurate anymore compared to the longer SpitStick.

The only issue I've had thus far is some degradation in the three way rubber balance used to keep the stick centred, but it was eaily re-centred with some elastic band application :blum:

(The one I own is one of the prototypes I believe, so there might be some minor changes between my one and the SpitStick that's available now, which is called 'Edge' now it seems - I think the current one has a feature where you can take the spade grip off and put on an optional pistol grip instead if you want, which I'm not sure if my one has that option, for example.)

Also no it doesn't have FFB unfortunately. (Better late than never! )

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Here are some pictures with the cover removed from the base:

uvvu.png

5pai.png

w97u.png

io2j.png

sirk.png

(Note MacGyvered elastic band application. :biggrin: )

Thanks for following up, M.D.

Great set of pictures. Just what I was hoping for. The construction is rock solid! Do you think the set up has enough room underneath to swap in springs for elastic bands?

This stick is very, very tempting.

Cheers,

Flying Colander

MD,

I see that the stick uses the great Bodnar USB card. What is the make of the Hall sensors? I dead curious as I have never seen such a flat profile in a Hall sensor profile. Any chance to make out the ID information on the pots? My suspicion is that Hall sensor flow meters have been ingeniously repurposed!

Cheers,

FC

Hi,

I'm back at Uni again, but I can have a look tommorrow when I head back home. :salute:

For tech questions it might be a good idea to contact John Fellows at spitsim@yahoo.co.uk especially as mine was a prototype so he might have made changes to the ones available now, he was able to answer all the questions I had anyway.