Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Posssible to have a observer "only" career?

Before I invest some of my limited flying time I thought I would throw this out to the old OFF hands here.

I was thinking of trying a observer only career in a Fee or Bristol squadron as with a key stroke you can man the observers guns though I will admit to never having tried it.

I also know I will have to have a pilot assigned to the squadron and my thought is to throw OFF on "autopilot" as soon as the mission starts and man the observers guns for the entire mission.

So my question, never having tried it, is...

Is the CFS3 autopilot feature capable of taking off, flying the mission, and then landing at my field in a believable fashion with no input from me or am I expecting too much from the old girl?

Duke, I tried this myself quite some time back and was not pleased with the AI pilots that flew my plane. They did a rather poor job in a fight and landings were a crap shoot at best. But it was fun to man the back seat of a Brisfit and have a go at the Huns that inevitably ended up on our six.

I have tried something somewhat similar , my "career" is an attempt to drive the model-T car to Paris , and they said it couldnt be done :grin:

cheers

I guess you could fill th pilot seat for take-off and landing, but switch to the observer's position for the rest of the flight, although your 'career' would always be anchored to that of the pilot you created. I could very easily create a mission-set where all the text and instructions of the mission briefings were directed at the observer, if this would help :)

Bletchley

angles, it should be possible to drive the Model T to Paris.

The idea sounds interesting - I wonder if it could be done for WOFF -

but WITHOUT HOLDING THE RELEASE DATE UP much further, that is! :grin:

Duke, I found that the AI pilots generally lost too much height too quickly for my liking, when I switched to the observer seat. This would make me vulnerable to ground fire in situations where it really wasn't necessary, so tended to stay as the pilot most of the time.

Thank you gentlemen for the information and thoughts.

And thank you Bletchley for the offer but it sounds like my little idea will have to wait for WOFF - if autopilot improvements are addressed or come happenstance because of AI improvements.