Sign in to follow this  
Split_S

War over Vietnam Question

Does anyone know the right way to get the Shrike or Standard Missiles to guide? I use the " Last radio target" buttin and point my nose at the SA-2 site fire the missile but it goes ballistic, wont track the radar. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Does anyone know the right way to get the Shrike or Standard Missiles to guide?  I use the " Last radio target" buttin and point my nose at the SA-2 site fire the missile but it goes ballistic, wont track the radar.  What am I doing wrong? Thanks

Welcome to Biohaz...Sorry for the trouble.I'm morking on that very problem myself..the only way I can lock a radar is make sure you're being painted at the time of launch...your RWR will be going crazy,and I turn of my ECM,if so equiped.once I launch then I turn ECM back on.sometimes this works.will let you know more as I find out.

"Welcome to Biohaz...Sorry for the trouble.I'm morking on that very problem myself..the only way I can lock a radar is make sure you're being painted at the time of launch...your RWR will be going crazy,and I turn of my ECM,if so equiped.once I launch then I turn ECM back on.sometimes this works.will let you know more as I find out."

Finally got one to track. Your right about them firing at you. Left ECM on and it still guided though. I've been flying the A6-A and it doesn't have an RWR in this game. So it was alot harder to tell when they are firing at you. Did the real A-6 have an RWR then?

Edited by Split_S

Finally got one to track.  Your right about them firing at you.  Left ECM on and it still guided though. I've been flying the A6-A and it doesn't have an RWR in this game. So it was alot harder to tell when they are firing at you. Did the real A-6 have an RWR then?

Was reading some info the other night about WW's - even in the Gulf War it was surprising how many anti-radiation missiles were fired versus sites killed.

As for the A-6 in WoV the stock is an A-6A model. There is some debate as to whether this had RWR or not but it seems likely that if it did it was an audio signal only.

Was reading some info the other night about WW's - even in the Gulf War it was surprising how many anti-radiation missiles were fired versus sites killed.

As for the A-6 in WoV the stock is an A-6A model. There is some debate as to whether this had RWR or not but it seems likely that if it did it was an audio signal only.

Thanks for the info. Got another question for you. Have you figured out a way in this game to target/padlock the SAM missile itself once one it is launched so you can at least try and out maneuver it?

If I recall it proper the early shrikes had to be almost directly in front of the weasel,which is why a lot of the attacks were straight in and sometimes strafed with the vulcan in the 105..the spads also used the technique(sp?) as they had those neat 4 20mm guns...they also used a lot of cbu's against the sites..the latter versions of the anti radiation missiles had a set up were they locked onto the last signal of the site...Of course I just might be wrong but thats what I recall from talking with folks over at udorn,ubon and tahkli...also over at phan rang and tuy hoa..hope some of this helps..but yeah thats one reason the weasels had big brass cojones,you had to fly Towards the threat....(sp again?)

Thanks for the info. Got another question for you. Have you figured out a way  in this game to target/padlock the SAM missile itself once one it is launched so you can at least try and out maneuver it?

One of the .ini wizards has & was refining it iirc.

You can achieve a high rate of success against them by constant observation (I run at 1600x1200 res which maybe helps) & manoevring but it's the one that you don't see that gets you (that or when you are low in energy) all of which strikes me as fairly realistic from what I have read.

One of the .ini wizards has & was refining it iirc.

You can achieve a high rate of success against them by constant observation (I run at 1600x1200 res which maybe helps) & manoevring  but  it's the one that you don't see that gets you (that or when you are low in energy) all of which strikes me as fairly realistic from what I have read.

As far as the fun factor I would still like to be able to target them. The SA in flight sims isn't has high as in real life where you have peripheral vision and all you have to do is turn your head to track something not pan a POV hat to keep a moving target in view. I loved the way Janes sims (F-15E, IAF, USAF, F-18E) would let you target incoming missiles. If you can break into it at the right time you can sometimes out maneuver them. I really like WoV but padlocking missiles would really make this sim for me.

Edited by Split_S