SpinyNorman

Upwards firing Lewis for SE5a

Hi all,

Firstly I'm sure this has probably been covered before, or the info is available somewhere, and I'm sorry if it has! feel free to delete this topic. But I was curious about getting the option of firing the wing mounted Lewis on the SE5a at an upwards angle for popping away at 2 seaters from a safe place, this was an advantage of the wing mount lewis on the SE5a? By stomping about with muddy boots on in the DATA_INI file from Peter01's FMs I can get the lewis to fire solely up at an angle, but if I try to add an [internalgun 3] in the same position and have that one firing up at an angle on FIRE_SECONDARY_GUN in gun group 3, it just ignores it. Would i need to add it as a loadout weapon? If I could get that to work, then maybe progress to trying to get a simple gunsight added to upwards cockpit view? I dunno, just playing around, but any hints would be appreciated!

Loving FE2 and all the stuff there is available (hats off to you guys), I think I'm spending as much time downloading and tinkering as I am in the sky! :)

Cheers,

SpinyNorman.

Found angled Lewis in the A team gunpod pack. :) sheepish grin for not having a good look in the first place. but still playing around with things.

Keep at it Norm.

I happened to see that angled Lewis myself and was coming here to suggest it to you. Other than that I wouldnt have but the foggiest idea how you could make the Lewis fire upward as well as forward, but it would sure add to the accuracy of the SE5 combat ability. Honestly, good luck with this. :salute:

Cheers Grinseed

Thanks Grinseed,

The real world has kept me busy for a bit, so have only just got back to this..... right! I now have the lewis on my SE5a firing straight ahead as normal, AND up at an angle on fire secondary gun, it's great fun! shot an AEG half to pieces without getting shot back at. So this is without loadout weapons, simply adding a 3rd InternalGun in the same place as the normal Lewis in the DATA_INI file and tweaking the fire angles (I couldn't get it to work before because I hadn't added my 3rd Internal gun to my top left wing).... anyway! If anyone is keen I can either post my DATA_INI file or just explain the txt you need to add here in the forum? I am new to this so I'm not sure what the protocol is, so is it ok for me to post that stuff up?

Cheers

SpinyNorman

Keep at it Norm.

I happened to see that angled Lewis myself and was coming here to suggest it to you. Other than that I wouldnt have but the foggiest idea how you could make the Lewis fire upward as well as forward, but it would sure add to the accuracy of the SE5 combat ability. Honestly, good luck with this. :salute:

Cheers Grinseed

You can post it right here, but you may need to put into a zip or 7z file first.

Hi all,

Just re-posting this as the last one when I posted it went all sloppy with no spaces and big gaps in the line spacing. :)

Ok! here’s the SE5a_Data.ini file with the upwards firing Lewis. My SE5a_data.ini is from Peter01’s FMs, I’m not trying to redistribute his great work, all I have done is tinker with the guns, but if I have made a blunder by posting this file I’m sorry and feel free to remove it!

SE5a_DATA.zip

If you don’t have Peter01’s FMs, or have done other tinkering in your SE5a_ data.ini file, then below is the simple changes to make to your data.ini

Open up the file and scroll down until you get to the Internal Guns Section:

// Internal Guns ---------------------------------------------------------

[internalGun1]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=303CAL_VICKERS_MK1

InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN

GunGroup=1

MuzzlePosition=-0.16,0.27,0.49

LightPosition=-0.16,0.36,0.50

AimAngles=0.0,5.0,0.0

MaxAmmo=400

EjectShells=TRUE

EjectPosition=0.0,-0.32,-0.49

EjectVelocity=0.0,0.0,-1.0

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

GunFireAnimationID=7

Synchronized=TRUE

[internalGun2]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=303CAL_LEWIS_MK2

InputName=FIRE_PRIMARY_GUN

GunGroup=2

MuzzlePosition=0.00,0.00,1.30

LightPosition=0.00,0.06,1.31

AimAngles=0.0,5.0,0.0

MaxAmmo=97

NumReloads=4

ReloadTime=6.0

EjectShells=TRUE

EjectPosition=0.01,-0.68,1.21

EjectVelocity=2.0,0.0,-0.5

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

GunFireAnimationID=8

Copy all of the [internalGun2] and paste it below and rename [internalGun3], then make the changes to InputName, GunGroup, and AimAngles that you see below:

[internalGun3]

SystemType=FIXED_GUN

GunTypeName=303CAL_LEWIS_MK2

InputName=FIRE_SECONDARY_GUN

GunGroup=3

MuzzlePosition=0.00,0.00,1.30

LightPosition=0.00,0.06,1.31

AimAngles=-6.5,37.5,0.0

MaxAmmo=97

NumReloads=4

ReloadTime=6.0

EjectShells=TRUE

EjectPosition=0.01,-0.68,1.21

EjectVelocity=2.0,0.0,-0.5

MinExtentPosition=

MaxExtentPosition=

GunFireAnimationID=8

A note on AimAngles: Play around and experiment with them, the first figure is the left or right angle (minus for left), I have mine shooting slightly to the left so you can see the tracers, works really well, obviously the 37.5 is the up angle. I played around with putting a gunsight up there, but found I didn’t need it, once you get angles you are happy with and know where it is shooting, and anyway you want to get up nice and close underneath to do maximum damage!

Also technically this is a separate gun, so you get 4 reloads for both straight and angled Lewis, which is not really correct. You can change the NumReloads or if you want to keep it on the level , just count the number of reloads you have had from both Lewis and keep it to 4 and not reload!

Ok, one more important change to make to your data.ini, scroll up until you get to [TopWingLeft] (just below [Nose]). I’m not going to post the whole section for [TopWingLeft], but if you scroll to the bottom of it you will see this;

Ymac=-0.54

MinExtentPosition= -1.71,-1.17, 0.88

MaxExtentPosition= 0.00, 0.33, 0.76

CollisionPoint[001]=-1.71,-1.17, 0.76

CollisionPoint[002]=-1.71, 0.33, 0.82

SystemName[001]=InternalGun2

SystemName[002]=InternalGun3

DetachNode[001]=Strut Inner Front L

DetachNode[002]=Strut Inner Rear L

DetachNode[003]=Lewis Base

RemoveNode[001]=Wires Inner L

You will see that underneath SystemName[001]=InternalGun2, I have added SystemName[002]=InternalGun3; you have to do this or it will not recognize your InternalGun3.

That’s it! Have fun and get in nice and cosy under the bellies on those bombers!

Cheers

SpinyNorman

I copied that SE5a_data ini file into my users/gary/savedgames/thirdwire/firsteagles2/objects/aircraft/SE5a and then went balloon busting to check it out. My wingman and I killed the balloon and a defending Albatross but from the external view I could not see that my over wing gun was firing upwards. I am wondering if I copied the file into the wrong directory or if there is another step to take. :blink:

Hi Baxter,

Nope sounds like you copied it to the right place. Was your Lewis firing straight ahead as normal? If you look on upwards cockpit view, and push whatever key you have set as 'fire secondary gun' the lewis should fire upwards and you will see tracers slightly out to the left just below the magazine drum (and yes you should see it in external view) if you push your 'fire primary gun' key (ie your joystick trigger) the lewis should fire straight ahead as normal with your Vickers. Let me know if you are still having problems, I am bound to have made an oversight somewhere.

Cheers.

SpinyNorman.

I copied that SE5a_data ini file into my users/gary/savedgames/thirdwire/firsteagles2/objects/aircraft/SE5a and then went balloon busting to check it out. My wingman and I killed the balloon and a defending Albatross but from the external view I could not see that my over wing gun was firing upwards. I am wondering if I copied the file into the wrong directory or if there is another step to take. :blink:

Snuck up on two Aviatik C2 who were dozing along, and downed both from underneath with the upwards Lewis; but then when I finished the mission and went to the stats part of the debriefing, it had no shots fired and % hit, both kills were NA (like a collison). Anybody know how to fix that?

Edited by SpinyNorman

Snuck up on two Aviatik C2 who were dozing along, and downed both from underneath with the upwards Lewis; but then when I finished the mission and went to the stats part of the debriefing, it had no shots fired and % hit, both kills were NA (like a collison). Anybody know how to fix that?

I tried it again and no I still could not see the upward firing lewis firing upwards, so I am not in a position to comment on your shots fired situation. Have you tried doing this sort of thing using ROF (Rise Of Flight) and their new weapon mods? I do not usually fly in that sim but I do have it so might give it a go too and see if it works.

hhmmm sorry Baxter, I am a bit stumped on this.... did you have Peter01's FMs beforehand? did you have an extracted SE5a_data.ini and SE5a.ini file in your mods SE5a folder before? If not maybe either extract them using the Catpack extracter or download Peter01's excellent FMs and you will get those two files, then replace the SE5a_data.ini file with the one with the upwards lewis. Haven't tried on ROF, only FE2. Sorry mate, not much help.

Way to go Spiny! Finally got time to load and run this and it works a treat! My shout.

Cheers Grinseed

Cheers Grinseed! :biggrin:

I reckon it's INI childs play compared to a lot of the stuff that people do here, but it's fun learning, still new to all this. while I am slowly accumulating everything needed for Armchair Aces I'm busy unpacking everything and tinkering, it's fun making my own paint jobs and adding loads of planes etc to the stock campaigns, it's cool how you can just get in there and play around, and if it doesn't work, at least you have backed up and it's just in the Mods folder. Once again hats off to all the modders and CombatAce for being such a great knowledge base!

SpinyNorman

Amen to that Spiny !!......the only other sim I came across with this level of modding interest and totally billiant campaigns etc was good old EAW.....I loved that Sim