Sign in to follow this  
Spinners

Northrop F-5I - Heyl Ha'Avir

Northrop F-5I Tiger II - 119 Squadron, Heyl Ha'Avir, 1973

In September 1966 Israel became the launch customer for the new Mirage 5 when they placed an order for 50 Mirage 5J's. However, rising tensions between Israel and their neighbouring Arab states during the early summer of 1967 (allied to General de Gaulle's increasingly pro-Arab stance) led to a French arms embargo to Israel announced on June 3rd, 1967 just two days before the forthcoming Six-Day war despite Israel having paid for the aircraft in full. Despite the dazzling success of the Israeli Air Force's strikes against Arab runways that were a key factor is Israel's victory the IDF were desperate to replace combat losses and strengthen the Heyl Ha'Avir and Israel looked towards America soon ordering Skyhawks and Phantoms.

The Heyl Ha'Avir had already evaluated the Northrop F-5A in the early 1960's but in late 1968 Northrop offered Israel a version of their proposed F-5E Tiger II as the F-5I and Northrop's success in the 1970 International Fighter Aircraft competition led to renewed interest by the Heyl Ha'Avir and they became one of the launch customers by ordering 72 F-5I's. Deliveries commenced in 1972 and by the time of the 1973 Yom Kippur War both 119 Squadron and 253 Squadrons had been re-equipped with the F-5I with eventually four squadrons serving until the mid-1980's when most of the surviving aircraft were sold to Argentina leaving a small Heyl Ha'Avir 'Aggressor' squadron flying the type until 2003.

IDFF-5ITIGER01.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER02.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER03.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER04.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER05.jpg

Edited by Spinners
  • Like 2

I think the F-5E would have suited the IDF like "hand in glove", if they had discontinued use of the Mirage III after the Six Day War. You have to remember that their doctrine still relied heavily on going close up with Guns.

Looking great. You were faster than me! I was also thinking of creating this bird. :smile:

Do you have a IAF desert camo planned?

Do you have a IAF desert camo planned?

Not really, but I might try these markings on the Jordanian camo.

Northrop F-5I Tiger II - 201 Squadron, Heyl Ha'Avir 1973

IDFF-5ITIGER06.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER07.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER08.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER09.jpg

IDFF-5ITIGER11.jpg

• Like 1

a must have, plz release, thx

No doubt in my mind - THE MOST BEAUTIFULL ¨WHAT-IF¨ EVER!!!!!!

I think the F-5E would have suited the IDF like "hand in glove", if they had discontinued use of the Mirage III after the Six Day War. You have to remember that their doctrine still relied heavily on going close up with Guns.

Totally agree..

a must have, plz release, thx

Not quite as simple as that I'm afraid...