Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joedarkness

Older Aircraft bombing question

Guest Joedarkness

Let me start by saying I'm pretty new to this stuff, so please keep the hate to yourself.

I love flying the F-4 and other older aircraft, specially in Air to Air dogfights. But I don't like it those planes when it comes to bombing runs and such. I've been playing combat flight sims for many years. I was a big fan of the old Janes programs. My problem is though that with the older aircraft they don't have the "bombing sites" like say the F-16, F-15 and F-18 has. Specially the F-4 (least the ones I've flown in the Vietnam part of the game) So I was wondering how do you all go about directly hitting your targets? Pure luck? Bombing site mod? Please inform me I'd like to be able to do play some campaign missions with the older aircraft. The only way I've been able to really do it but maybe 70% hit rate is just coming in straight down on the target like the old german planes from WW2. But this leads to a lot of either failed mission because I didn't hit the target or me making my self a part of the landscape because I can't pull up in time. PLEASE HELP ME!!! You can also email me at mysonsaysaudi-at-gmail-dot-com with answers because I'm still trying to figure out how to be able to come back and check this post easily.

Thanks...Joe

Edited by Fubar512
Edited email address to prevent Spambots from latching on to it

Let me start by saying I'm pretty new to this stuff, so please keep the hate to yourself.

There is no hate here unless you bring it, and while Stary might seem like Belsebub at times, he is quite Harmless.

Edited by JonathanRL

:lol:

just don't sign any contracts in blood...

This one in particular http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html for manual delivery of dumb bombs.

Guided LGB, Walleye and HOBOS can be used from the early 70s on the F-4.

The A-7E and A-7D do have HUDs with CCIP from about 1970 also.

Between the two techniques, I find Andy Bush's to be the most useful. Joe, the link Migbuster posted is down towards the bottom of the page I gave you.

Edited by SupGen

One thing I will advise is practice on this download the range mod and practice there as well... as with everything practice helps...

in earlier generation fighters bombing was something of a black art esp in combat conditions. Tiseo equipped ARN-101 Phantoms got their CEP down to a decent amount and the advertised practice in the 4th TFW was to compensated when dropping dumb iron to use 750lb bombs so the blast radius overlapped the CEP of the bomb delivery! another example is when i attack airfields post '72 i load Mavericks to defend against AAA/Sams and 6 retarded bombs to string down the length of the runway doing just below the Mach. Slarti hass a good point with the ranges for practice. me, i'm not justifying the cost of munitions to higher HQ and dont really die if shot down so i practice in real world. just personal preference in tactics developed over time. find what works and stick to it....

Guest CrazyJow

Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to reading these pages and seeing what I can do with it. I would finally like to be able to play the campaigns/missions with the older gen aircraft especially ones like the A-4 and F-4. As of lately I've just been playing with the newest gen ones like the ones i stated earlier. Super Gen - No problems getting back to the site just couldn't find my page link in the mix of all the threads. I also seem to have forgotten my log in so I had to make a new one. I'm new to posting in a forum and don't know the ins and outs of how the work just yet. I've also only really been on this page for the mods for SF2. Thanks emailing me though! I'll post up

once I get my skills on bombing runs down pat.

Gotta complete a campaign I'm working on right now with the A-10 and then I'll go from there.

Sincerely

Joe