Sign in to follow this  
sophocles

anyone know why I'm getting this?

Hello all,

I've finally unwrapped and animated all moving surfaces. Although the gear animations work perfectly in the air, when on the ground I get this (see pic). Once I get into the take off run and the nose rises, the gear look normal again and retract properly. The co-ordinates (pivot point) of my parent fuselage mesh are at pecisely 0,0,0

Any ideas?

looks like you have a unwanted or extra animation key frame hooked to the landing gear.Also did you export the LOD with the gear retracted(Key frame 0)?

Edited by RAVEN

Check if your animation goes from 1-10 it has to start on the "0,1" and will end on the "1" only a animation slot. The second animation starts on "2" hope this helps ;)

Check if your animation goes from 1-10 it has to start on the "0,1" and will end on the "1" only a animation slot. The second animation starts on "2" hope this helps ;)

Just to make it clearer; I'm only getting this problem on the ground. Once the bird has cleared the runway, everything goes back to normal and the retractions are fine .. I'm just wondering if there's something in the data.ini that may be causing it??

Thanks for the replies Raven and Blackbird!

Post your gear data from the .ini and will have a look.

Post your gear data from the .ini and will have a look.

Thanks,

// Landing Gears ---------------------------------------------------------

[NoseGear]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=5.0

AnimationID=2

DragArea=0.25

HideGearNode=TRUE

ModelNodeName=NoseGearStrut

InsideNodeName=

ShockNodeName=NoseGearHydraulics02

ShockAnimationID=2

ShockStroke=0.275

SpringFactor=2.0

DampingFactor=0.75

WheelNodeName=NoseGearTire

RotationAxis=X-AXIS

RollingRadius=0.50

CastoringWheel=TRUE

CastoringNodeName=

Steerable=TRUE

MaxSteeringSpeed=41.15

Locking=FALSE

MaxSteeringAngle=75.0

InputName=YAW_CONTROL

ControlRate=1.0

HasBrakes=FALSE

RollingCoefficient=0.05

MaxDeploySpeed=115.75

[LeftMainGear]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=5.0

AnimationID=1

DragArea=0.50

HideGearNode=TRUE

ModelNodeName=LeftMainGearStrut

InsideNodeName=

ShockNodeName=LeftMainGearHydraulics01

ShockAnimationID=1

//ReverseShockOrientation=TRUE

ShockStroke=0.20

SpringFactor=3.0

DampingFactor=2.0

WheelNodeName=LeftMainGearTire

RotationAxis=X-AXIS

ReverseModelOrientation=FALSE

ReverseWheelRotation=TRUE

RollingRadius=0.50

CastoringWheel=FALSE

HasBrakes=TRUE

BrakingCoefficient=0.75

RollingCoefficient=0.05

MaxDeploySpeed=115.75

[RightMainGear]

SystemType=LANDING_GEAR

Retractable=TRUE

DeployTime=5.0

AnimationID=1

DragArea=0.50

HideGearNode=TRUE

ModelNodeName=RightMainGearStrut

InsideNodeName=

ShockNodeName=RightMainGearHydraulics01

ShockAnimationID=1

ShockStroke=0.20

SpringFactor=3.0

DampingFactor=2.0

WheelNodeName=RightMainGearTire

RotationAxis=X-AXIS

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

RollingRadius=0.50

CastoringWheel=FALSE

HasBrakes=TRUE

BrakingCoefficient=0.75

RollingCoefficient=0.05

MaxDeploySpeed=115.75

// Landing Gears ---------------------------------------------------------

[NoseGear]

AnimationID=2

ShockAnimationID=2

[LeftMainGear]

AnimationID=1

ShockAnimationID=1

[RightMainGear]

AnimationID=1

ShockAnimationID=1

Here is the problem, the AnimationID= is the animation number for the retract/deploy animation. The ShockAnimationID= is the number for using the gear compression animation. So on ground the game looks for this animation sequence in the LOD file, wich is on your model the animation for gear deploy. :cool:

If you make a special gear compression (must be for every gear a seperate one!) you can enter this number here. If you leave the ShockAnimationID= empty, the game will look for the mesh called out as ShockNodeName= and use this with the ShockStroke= value.

If it´s moving the mesh in a wrong direction, you can also enter ShockTravelAxis= with the correct value (X,Y or Z).

Nice model, BTW! :good:

• Like 1

Here is the problem, the AnimationID= is the animation number for the retract/deploy animation. The ShockAnimationID= is the number for using the gear compression animation. So on ground the game looks for this animation sequence in the LOD file, wich is on your model the animation for gear deploy. :cool:

If you make a special gear compression (must be for every gear a seperate one!) you can enter this number here. If you leave the ShockAnimationID= empty, the game will look for the mesh called out as ShockNodeName= and use this with the ShockStroke= value.

If it´s moving the mesh in a wrong direction, you can also enter ShockTravelAxis= with the correct value (X,Y or Z).

Nice model, BTW! :good:

Oh great! Thanks Florian, this is the type of info I'm looking for .. I'll try a separate animation for the gear compression; you mean 3 different sets of 10 keys (41-50, 61-70, 71-80) one each for left gear, right gear, nose gear? Can't I just assign all 3 to one set? say 41-50,animation id 5?

Regards

That would give you odd results, as then all 3 gears would compress when only one wheel touches the ground.

Tried it myself, but it looked soooo wrong! :lol:

As there are supporting scissor struts on all 3 gears, you must have 3 animations for the gear compression, like you mentioned correct, with 3 different sets of keys. I know it´s pretty hard as there are only 10 possible Animation IDs, maybe some day we get more... :dntknw:

That would give you odd results, as then all 3 gears would compress when only one wheel touches the ground.

Tried it myself, but it looked soooo wrong! :lol:

As there are supporting scissor struts on all 3 gears, you must have 3 animations for the gear compression, like you mentioned correct, with 3 different sets of keys. I know it´s pretty hard as there are only 10 possible Animation IDs, maybe some day we get more... :dntknw:

Yes, I see it would look odd. I am going to try with the 3 separate animations. Thanks again :good: